• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daily Boot

michael_legeek

Reaction score
For me it's a chukka, dark brown. Grain leather is what feels most 'me' for this, but for someone else it could perfectly well be calf, or suede, or shell.

Example: Allen Edmonds Malvern

(I'm kind of surprised this thread is two days old without attracting a chorus of Alden Indy recommendations. That'd be a great choice too, for someone whose style it fits. Hit Leather Soul's Alden pages for many kilobucks' worth of mouthwatering examples.)

emptym

Reaction score

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell wingtip boot. Alden did one for LeatherSoul a few years back.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been wearing either suede chukkas or my Cheaney wingtip boots.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Water is bad for leather regardless of the type. But its not going to kill it either.

Get what you like is what I say. But personally, I'd get a chukka. I like suede right now, but can probably be convinced pebble or calf would be equally as good or better. I think cordovan would work too. A little expensive for night time casual shoes for me, but if you can swing it, I'd go for it.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a pair of suede chukka desert boots. I'm very happy with them as I had been looking for something that works in casual settings but can be worn to the office on a Friday. They're also extremely comfortable.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suede chukka, for sure.

emptym

Reaction score
Someone pm'd me to ask about AS sizing conversion. I spent some time writing the response, so I thought I'd post it in case others were interested:
I am looking to get a pair of Alfred Sargent Chukka boots. I want the Guildford boots. I know they come in UK sizes and I was thinking about getting the Guildford from the Bodileys of Nothampton website. Should I size down a whole size in the or just half size? If I wear a 9US should I get a 8UK? Thanks for your help.
This is complicated. Short answer is that I size down a whole size. But your best bet is to email Chay Cooper at AS. His email add. is on their website. He's very, very helpful. Just make sure you know your US size. To get that, I'd try on a shoe at Brooks Brothers to get your size. It should be fairly snug when you put it on. You should hear a "whoosh" sound. But it shouldn't be painful. If you get a shoe that fits like that, Chay will suggest that you size down one half and that you go up one width, so a 9 D US becomes an 8.5 E UK. The AS 8 F should work for you too. And an AS 8 G may be too wide. But... I sometimes like boots to be a little big so I can put in an insole and/or wear thicker socks. In which case, it may be perfect. Also, know that AS can make you any version of their shoes/boots, on any last, in any size for 10-20% more than their retail price, which may be 30-40% more than Bodiley's, etc. Good luck! Btw, I love suede, but if I could only have one chukka (which I do), it would be something more hearty, like pebble grain or shell.

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slickman
What type of boot would you recommend that can we worn as a daily casual shoe and out at nights with a pair of dark jeans? Calf, Suede, Shell, Combo? Color?

Pictures please! Slewfoot and Doc know their ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads