• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF, Help me choose a career path.

J Darnielle

Reaction score
I'm 22 and will graduate in May with a BS in Finance. I have a **** GPA, but can probably still get a job paying 35-45k out of school. I took the LSAT and scored in the 95th percentile, so I can go to a state school for free or cheap, and maybe even a t10 with tons of debt.

Is going for a JD, or JD/MBA a wise choice right now? Another option would be working for 2-4 years, paying off my undergrad debt, and getting my CFA certification during that time. Work experience would make a t10 law school a certainty (namely Northwestern). However, working a few years for 35k seems like a waste of time. I feel like I could probably be making $16-18 an hour in manufacturing by now if I had started that 4 years ago instead of a degree.

Thoughts?

ntwrkguy1

Reaction score
Personally if I was in your shoes with a BS in Finance, I would be tempted to go to work for a company that has tuition reimbursement and get my MBA on someone else's bill.

Realistically, you could have your MBA before you turn 26 without adding to your debt.

KentuckyDerby

Reaction score
I had a one year gap between undergrad and my MBA. My recommendation (if you want an MBA) would be to go work for a medium to large organization and learn as much as you can for at least 2-3 years. Although I learned a lot during my MBA program, my limited work experience and corporate exposure restricted my ability to relate to some topics and ultimately limited my ability to contribute to some discussions. I feel that more work experience prior to an MBA program is beneficial, but at the same time I am really glad to have the degree in my back pocket. I can't speak for any other MBA's, but I know that I (as well as many other classmates) am not really putting my degree to work right now. Most of the younger (and thus inexperienced) classmates still have middle level jobs. I guess in bigger cities you might have more luck than us...

KentuckyDerby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1
Personally if I was in your shoes with a BS in Finance, I would be tempted to go to work for a company that has tuition reimbursement and get my MBA on someone else's bill.

Realistically, you could have your MBA before you turn 26 without adding to your debt.

This.

Also there is a huge MBA thread. Did you see it?

the law

Reaction score
If you're thinking about law school, watch this first:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

DJ MAC

Reaction score
Holy crap this is the thread i should have made this past may. Posting to read lol

DJ MAC

Reaction score
Also what kind of entry level jobs would you guys suggest looking for with little to no experience in finance (tons of customer service and analytical experience from working as a pharmacy tech throughout schooling) with bs in financial economics background? Sorry to semi threadjack but hopefully this can help OP as well.

Edit: forgot to mention I eventually want to go into consulting and be an analyst

Suave

Reaction score
a clothing forum help choose your career? do we have to help you wipe your ass too?

Mal

Reaction score
95th percentile with a ****** gpa is way worse than you think. There is NO WAY you are going to Northwestern with a 167/low gpa. Let alone a "certainty" with work experience. Check out Law school numbers. No one between 166-168 was admitted below a 3.7 gpa.

Bottom line is you are seriously overestimating your chances of admission and scholarships. Scholarships are hard to get as someone with a low gpa.

Suave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Manager of a chocolate factory run by big breasted hookers. Live the dream son. Live the dream.
willy wonka ain't got **** on that

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Follow your passion. Go to an expensive art school and learn mixed media with an emphasis on digital soundscape performance pieces. If you don't, the regret will loom over you forever.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J Darnielle
I'm 22 and will graduate in May with a BS in Finance. I have a **** GPA, but can probably still get a job paying 35-45k out of school. I took the LSAT and scored in the 95th percentile, so I can go to a state school for free or cheap, and maybe even a t10 with tons of debt.

Is going for a JD, or JD/MBA a wise choice right now? Another option would be working for 2-4 years, paying off my undergrad debt, and getting my CFA certification during that time. Work experience would make a t10 law school a certainty (namely Northwestern). However, working a few years for 35k seems like a waste of time. I feel like I could probably be making $16-18 an hour in manufacturing by now if I had started that 4 years ago instead of a degree.

Thoughts?

Here is what I would do in your shoes. Forget the JD- you do not have the GPA to get into a good school, and these are not good times for graduates of second-tier school. Dont sweat it though, law is awful work anyway.

What you need to be doing is contacting middle market and regional banks with interest in their public finance groups. I think a kid in your shoes could talk his way into an analyst job at a regional office. Unsexy group +unsexy location means less competetion for you. Groups in these Midwestern cities (where it sounds like youre from?) have a tough time keeping Analysts, because once they get good experience, they move on to greener pastures. At the interview tell the MD you are trying to establish yourself in this location long-term and they will eat that **** up...

Pay will be about double whatever jobs youre looking at now, and though this aint the top of the food chain, it's not some ****** back office job doing accounting and cost analysis. You'll get good experience that you could leverage into better things, or if you like where youre at, working your way up to MD at these jobs is one of the few ways to make good money in smaller cities. I think they pull down 500-800k.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Here is what I would do in your shoes. Forget the JD- you do not have the GPA to get into a good school, and these are not good times for graduates of second-tier school. Dont sweat it though, law is awful work anyway.

What you need to be doing is contacting middle market and regional banks with interest in their public finance groups. I think a kid in your shoes could talk his way into an analyst job at a regional office. Unsexy group +unsexy location means less competetion for you. Groups in these Midwestern cities (where it sounds like youre from?) have a tough time keeping Analysts, because once they get good experience, they move on to greener pastures. At the interview tell the MD you are trying to establish yourself in this location long-term and they will eat that **** up...

Pay will be about double whatever jobs youre looking at now, and though this aint the top of the food chain, it's not some ****** back office job doing accounting and cost analysis. You'll get good experience that you could leverage into better things, or if you like where youre at, working your way up to MD at these jobs is one of the few ways to make good money in smaller cities. I think they pull down 500-800k.

I hear/read this type of thing all the time WRT analyst positions, but how is someone fresh out of school supposed to land a position that typically requires a minimum of 3-5 years of pretty specific experience (according to online analyst job postings)?

DJ MAC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
I hear/read this type of thing all the time WRT analyst positions, but how is someone fresh out of school supposed to land a position that typically requires a minimum of 3-5 years of pretty specific experience (according to online analyst job postings)?

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 57 39.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 24 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.8%

Forum statistics

Threads