• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a road bike?

BP348

Reaction score
I've decided to try cycling to boost my fitness. So I was wondering if any of the more experienced riders here could recommend a decent road bike?

When I first started looking around I thought that $500 would be plenty but now I relize that that amount isn't even scratching the surface. I would like a more middle of the road bike as I don't want to buy a starter bike and then 6 months from now have to try and sell it and spend a lot more money upgrading. I'm really thinking $1000 - $1200 is the absolute max.

I would be open to a good used bike but I really wouldn't know if I was buying a decent bike or spending money on junk.

The local bike shop sells mostly Trek and Giant bikes if that helps.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything from Trek or Giant with Shimano 105 or better should be fine. I don't know what the Campagnolo or SRAM equivalents are.

fungz0r

Reaction score
My 2 cents is that if you're just using it as a middle of the road bike, a $300-$500 bike should be good enough. Unless you are doing some serious racing, you probably won't have much usage out of a bike that is $1000. Awhile back there was a Costco road bike for $200, and I honestly think it was a good road bike for that price. Sure, a $1200 bike would be a better bike, but I'd be scared to ride it around and even locking it up somewhere.

Anything from Trek and Giant are good quality stuff that will last you awhile, but I suggest even just looking around local used bike stores, might find some quality goods.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Bianchi road bikes.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
semi-related....

So in my random web surfing, I came across a super cheap (like $150) fixie cruiser back in Australia and had a friend in Melbourne pick one up for me while they were on sale...I'll be down there in Feb, and will bring it back with me then.

This friend is kind of an MTB geek, and he said it was OK, but I should invest in a few things...

1. better pedals
2. better headstem

He listed a couple other things, but said that as it was a fixie, it should basically be OK. But is there anything else that make for good quick fixes on super cheapie bikes? I'm hardly going to be putting a lot of miles on to it...20km a week if that.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fungz0r
My 2 cents is that if you're just using it as a middle of the road bike, a $300-$500 bike should be good enough. Unless you are doing some serious racing, you probably won't have much usage out of a bike that is $1000. Awhile back there was a Costco road bike for $200, and I honestly think it was a good road bike for that price. Sure, a $1200 bike would be a better bike, but I'd be scared to ride it around and even locking it up somewhere.

You will not find a decent road bike for 3-500--that is lame hybrid territory. $200 costco bike is definitely ****.

Road bikes have some expensive parts on them which raises the price...a new set of brake lever/shifters on a mid-level road bike will cost you that much

bbaquiran is right except that I would say you could go down to Tiagra parts and still be ok (but say no to sora).

Bikes with SRAM parts are also good...any level is fine as they don't yet make a "bad" set of parts but even with Apex, it is probably hard to find at $1000

If you are in the US, you won't find campy at that price range for sure.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I concur with OTC and can't emphasize enough how ****** a $200 Costco bike will be. The best thing about it is that Costco will take it back when you realize how crappy it is.

Also don't forget to budget for proper pedals/shoes/helmet/pump, etc.
Other things you'll need will be some kind of inflation device to carry, spare tubes, tire levers at a minimum. Plus you'll want a computer in the future.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe today's Tiagra is better than old Tiagra. I see Shimano 105 is 10-speed now. When I stopped keeping track of bike models, Giant had the OCR and Trek had the 1500 as entry level bikes with decent parts. I think these are the current equivalents: Giant Defy 1 Trek 2.1

countrygent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Also don't forget to budget for proper pedals/shoes/helmet/pump, etc.
Other things you'll need will be some kind of inflation device to carry, spare tubes, tire levers at a minimum. Plus you'll want a computer in the future.

+1

Tiagra should be fine for fitness riding. It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking "I need 105/Ultegra/whatever ... " but I don't think it makes much difference until you start to get serious or into racing. Just make sure everything is kept properly lubed and adjusted.

A good used bike is a great idea if you can find one - check your local bike shops for used bikes being sold by employees - they will generally be very well cared for. Also check local bike clubs or triathlon groups that might have Gear for Sale ads.

Happy riding!

H

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are serious about road bking and plan to ride 100-150 miles a week, you must invest around $1k-1.5k into a bike. Unless you become very competitive, you will not outgrow your bike in this price range in the foreseeble future and won't have to upgrade it soon. Expect another $500 for accessories. Go to a pro shop and buy it there/insist on being properly fitted. Cannondale, Orbea, Bianchi are just a few brands in this range to consider. Not a fan of Trek/Giant etc: too many Freds who ride them. Since you are on the clothing forum, I assume appearances matter. So, make sure that the bike also looks good/invest in sharp looking cycling gear to motivate you to push harder.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Good advice. Getting set up with the bike and gear is not cheap. However, it really pays in the long run to focus on a quality bike and gear from the very start, but, again, it won't be cheap.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Fuji Roubaix RC on Craiglist for $800....Ultegra components, Carbon fork, post, and seatstays, Vuelta rims, nice tires, etc. Weighs 16.5lbs

Spending that same $800 in a retail store would have gotten me Sora/Tiagra components, cheap Alex rims, very little carbon, etc. Bike would weigh between 20 and 23 lbs.

I'd recommend going used and looking in the $600-$1000 range.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
I just bought a Fuji Roubaix RC on Craiglist for $800....Ultegra components, Carbon fork, post, and seatstays, Vuelta rims, nice tires, etc. Weighs 16.5lbs

Spending that same $800 in a retail store would have gotten me Sora/Tiagra components, cheap Alex rims, very little carbon, etc. Bike would weigh between 20 and 23 lbs.

I'd recommend going used and looking in the $600-$1000 range.

This scenario would be ideal: but one has to get really lucky to find a good value used bike like that + most importantly, the one that fits well. Not to belabor the point, but if a bike doesn't fit very well, you will not ride it, no matter what a deal you got on it = a waste of money

suzuka

Reaction score
most of the bike components and frames come out of the same factories in China now so you can get away with a lesser known brand

perk252

Reaction score
I agree with the above posters regarding extras - you've got to budget for the clothing and accessories, because if you're going to take riding at all seriously you're going to need the right shorts and jerseys, and most importantly of all the right shoes and clipless pedals. The cost of these things add up faster than you'd expect. Then there's the helmet, though some prefer to ride without one. You soon get up into the hundreds just on accessories, though of course you can start off slow and see if you take to riding before you commit too much cash on the extras.

But I hope you take the plunge. I've found nothing like cycling for helping you lose weight and keep it off, and this is a beautiful time of year to start riding!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads