• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
This is a cross-post from the ModernTailor thread. My question is about fit. I should have ironed and washed. Nonetheless, here are pics. Thanks.

sample shirt...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img530.imageshack.us/i/mtwhiteshirt5.jpg/

Is that the way you normally stand? If so, then the front is to narrow and the back is to wide. Shoulders look sloped more than the shirt. Back is to long, so needs to be raised at the shoulder, well, actually, at the bottom of the yoke.

AnnSOS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
This is a cross-post from the ModernTailor thread. My question is about fit. I should have ironed and washed. Nonetheless, here are pics. Thanks.

sample shirt...

http://img530.imageshack.us/i/mtwhiteshirt5.jpg/

Does it feel a little big to you? It looked right from the front, but large from the back. Also, the collar wan't buttoned, so it was hard to tell if it was too big, but it did look large in scale for the proportion of your neck and face. A smaller scaled collar might be better next time?

AnnSOS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
1) Burn that tie. 2) Burn that square. 3) Burn that shirt. 4) Shave. 5) Stop tying Windsor knots. With a white or blue shirt, virtually any sold tie would look good with that suit - red, navy, burgundy, brown, hunter, etc. Navy or hunter with white dots would also be nice. And don't forget ancient madder. Find a complementary square, or just wear white linen in a TV fold. From a distance, the suit likely looks light brown, so wear any tie and square combo that would work with that. My recent attempt with a light brown:
5094742191_53792f72cb.jpg

Have to agree with Luftvier. The tie is really bad with this outfit and appears to jarring for your coloring. I like the jacket coloring for you, but you need to link at least one color from it with your tie (or pocket square). Also, you have selected a jacket with such a high stance, I think your body and neck has the right scale for a windsor knot, but the jacket leaves so little room for it - it seems like there is not enough room. The ecru shirt works, except that the collar again is taken up by the jacket. And I have to agree that about the shaving.

VictorC

Reaction score
A rough guide is all i want to know. WHat in inches is the chest size of 154lb guys who stand 5ft9. Also is this size guy a small, medium or large clothes person in general?

BossTweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Shoes are a bit on the lighter side, but I wear C&J Tan Cliffords with dark raw denim all the time, and it looks good. They may be a bit darker than yours, however.

Pics of cliffords with denim? I'm considering purchasing them but am concerned with how the light tan will pair with darker colors.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Midnight blue overcoat; any suit colours I can't wear with that?

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NerdiusRex
$150 is kind of a lot for a pair of pants I can't try on, and then have to have tailored anyways to get the hems finished. I can't really afford that on my poor bank teller/student income
frown.gif

Are there no other cheaper options? Ebay hasn't really been working for me either.

Bumping this for the sake of the OP and myself.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
Bumping this for the sake of the OP and myself.
There is no secret source for good quality gray flannel dress pants that fit well, are sold finished (hemmed), and cost less than $150.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob_loblaw
Is a cutaway collar the same as a semispread?
No. IMO, cutaway is a much wider spread.

enarchay

Reaction score
I know the "rules" for matching ties and pocketsquares, but what are the rules for scarves? I want to pick up a couple and I'm at a loss as to what colors to go for. I'm going to be wearing a decent amount of patterned flannel this fall, so it's hard for me to gauge what color would be most versatile.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
^ Neutral colors such as cream and grays go with many colors, and would probably work with most of your flannels.

EZ

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
^ Neutral colors such as cream and grays go with many colors, and would probably work with most of your flannels.

EZ

Well, since they're dirt cheap, I was thinking of buying two or three of these:

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/Patter...3&origin=index

I really like the red and the brown on their own, but I wonder how well they would match with stuff. Which two/three would you guys recommend?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Those are kind of cool, especially for so cheap. I like the saddle plaid and both of the blue ginghams. Fairly easy to match those with stuff. The red is cool, but if you are wearing a red plaid already it might look like too much of the same.

EZ

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VictorC
A rough guide is all i want to know. WHat in inches is the chest size of 154lb guys who stand 5ft9. Also is this size guy a small, medium or large clothes person in general?

How big is a four door car?

There are guys at that weight height that are fit and will be much bigger in the chest. There are guys that are belly heavy and will have smaller chests.

For the S/M/L stuff some will have narrow shoulders some will be wider.

If I went back up to 154 I guess I would be close to a 42 inch. Others might be a 38.

A tape measure isn't that expensive. Even a myotape is less then a pair of socks.

http://www.amazon.com/AccuFitness-My.../dp/B0017OE4MI

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads