• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Cigar Shell LWB. Took em out for their first ride today!

monologuist

Reaction score
For the gentleman above who was considering the Shell Captoes.....get the Leather Soul Jumper captoes instead. I think they would suit someone who wants a little more versatility, will look better with more casual outfits. The Trubalance last and the Broguing on the cap give it a little more edge. There are several pics in this thread (a few recent ones too).

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by countrygent
Hi Tom,

I can understand your frustration with people emailing and asking what is in stock in a given size across all models. However, from a customer's perspective, that often seems to be the best way to inquire.

I'm interested in several Alden models you've sold over the years. Unless I go back through all of the relevant posts on the website and read all of the comments, it is hard to know what is in stock, on order, coming up for re-order, etc. Added to that is the fact that, as you mentioned, you don't post models the day they arrive, so they may sell out before they even appear on the site. Because of this, the most straightforward thing for me to do is to email and ask what you currently have in stock in size 7.5D on the Plaza last, and I can then decide which, if any, of the available models appeals to me.

I do look at the website regularly, by the way, in an attempt to keep up with new releases and pre-orders.

Some kind of online current inventory display would be super-helpful for those of us whose only means of buying from Leather Soul is by mail order.

Cheers,
H

Totally agree! That would be amazing. I've been on the fence about ordering a pair of the unlined PTB in color #8 cordovan and I think if i knew what else was in my size I could make a better decision.

Tom, you'd have all my money!
laugh.gif

Tom I can even offer some help and guidance to an online store. magento is a great start

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shasta

Wow that's pretty severe for only 4 weeks. How hard did you wear them? I picked up a pair of beefrolls in burgundy from a local shop about a week ago, hopefully this wouldn't happen to me.

shasta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
Wow that's pretty severe for only 4 weeks. How hard did you wear them? I picked up a pair of beefrolls in burgundy from a local shop about a week ago, hopefully this wouldn't happen to me.

Nothing out of the ordinary. If people are under the illusion that alden is the best quality shoe out there they need to think again. Just browsing this thread there is way too much frequency in defects.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
^ That is a good point he makes. Both Shoe Mart and the SF Alden Shop have what appear to be live inventory online & searchable by size. That Alden Shop website first appeared in the geocities age, too. It's not unreasonable for customers to assume Leathersoul might have the same ability to sort by size & then cut and paste the results into an email.

Maybe he'll change sometime down the road but Tom's said that he's not an etailer. I think he said that 85% + of his business is in the stores. So, we mailers have to settle for the dribs and drabs or just preoreder.

cimabue

Reaction score
Nothing out of the ordinary. If people are under the illusion that alden is the best quality shoe out there they need to think again. Just browsing this thread there is way too much frequency in defects.
I'm afraid my new PTBs are clomp-knockers, ie, one of the shoes has a loose steel shank that makes a slight knocking sound with each step: "clomp-knock, clomp-knock, clomp-knock." It's not intolerable. I'm more concerned with stitching and finish issues, which I'm keeping a close eye on. So far so good. I'm still planning on buying a couple more models. 'Hoping to sneak up on 100% units, thus won't be wearing the clomp-knockers.
laugh.gif

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaelw
color 8 chukkas
Great shoes. From the bottoms they look new!

I have a personal preference question for you Michael. Which do you like/wear more. Cigar or #8 PTB's?
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Cigar Shell LWB. Took em out for their first ride today!
WOW! Great shoes. I love the pants too! Wear in good health.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countrygent
Hi Tom,

I can understand your frustration with people emailing and asking what is in stock in a given size across all models. However, from a customer's perspective, that often seems to be the best way to inquire.

I'm interested in several Alden models you've sold over the years. Unless I go back through all of the relevant posts on the website and read all of the comments, it is hard to know what is in stock, on order, coming up for re-order, etc. Added to that is the fact that, as you mentioned, you don't post models the day they arrive, so they may sell out before they even appear on the site. Because of this, the most straightforward thing for me to do is to email and ask what you currently have in stock in size 7.5D on the Plaza last, and I can then decide which, if any, of the available models appeals to me.

I do look at the website regularly, by the way, in an attempt to keep up with new releases and pre-orders.

Some kind of online current inventory display would be super-helpful for those of us whose only means of buying from Leather Soul is by mail order.

Cheers,
H

H,

Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately unlike other Alden retailers, we have very strict restrictions placed on us. So, although it is difficult and frustrating, our blog style website is the only way for us to promote our shoes.

Regardless, rebel is right, our main business is our walk-ins. We have a pretty darn good following here in Hawaii. Our mail order business is great, but we are a true brick and mortar shoe store by heart and actually would never like to be a click and ship type of store like other online retailers.

If anyone would like to order or just inquire about something, it's always easiest to give us a call. We're here in Hawaii 365 days a year, open from 10am-10pm, but normally someone is here between 9am-11pm. LSBH is only open M-Sat 10am-530pm, but has most of the sizes over 10.
laugh.gif

Tom

chestercopperpot

Reaction score

true you never hear this about edward green shoes but for every eg pair there is about 40 aldens. they are at an interesting stage right now where their demand has is so big they just don't know what to do.

frown.gif

they've definitely raised prices in the last few years though
laugh.gif

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Great shoes. From the bottoms they look new!

I have a personal preference question for you Michael. Which do you like/wear more. Cigar or #8 PTB's?

WOW! Great shoes. I love the pants too! Wear in good health.

thank you
color 8

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
akykg2.jpg

whiskey lhs

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads