• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Macophants - The new Macbook Air: you getting one?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For people who need a reasonable laptop that's light and small, I think this makes sense. For me, I would get the fully-loaded 11-inch model, and use Parallels to run a specialized Windows app that I use away from home, but since I don't do that often enough, I wouldn't get one right now.

I'd looked at netbooks (too slow, screens are terrible, and low quality construction) as well as ULV Pentium laptops like the HP Envy or Toshibas (too expensive, bad battery life, often too big and heavy), but this is the first laptop I've seen that hits the middle ground between netbook and full-blown laptop perfectly.

--Andre

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blairh
Two totally different machines. One is OS X, the other iOS. I want the freedom to drag and drop a movie file onto my MBA for travel. With the iPad I have to convert it to the right format, sync to iTunes, etc. And I still encounter websites with flash. Don't want to deal with blue question marks when I need to look at something on the road. The only concession I'll make to the iPad is battery life. The 11" MBA has ****** battery life, hence why I'll probably bring along an external battery just in case.
I understand this, but since OS X and iOS are clearly merging, and since tablets are clearly the future of computing, this can't be seen as anything other than a moneygrab while waiting for the transition. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but it's ideologically incoherent in terms of Apple's vision for future technology. Like Diaz, I expect Apple to roll out a laptop/tablet hybrid within 1-2 years.

blairh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I understand this, but since OS X and iOS are clearly merging, and since tablets are clearly the future of computing, this can't be seen as anything other than a moneygrab while waiting for the transition. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but it's ideologically incoherent in terms of Apple's vision for future technology.

Like Diaz, I expect Apple to roll out a laptop/tablet hybrid within 1-2 years.

Are you implying that tablets running a fully operational OS in the future mark the death of laptops? Because if so, I don't agree.

Yes, OS X and iOS are slowly merging, but I can't say for sure that it means they will evolve into one thing at some point. And even if they do, the laptop's form factor will be preferred by many (including myself). To state the new MBA's are a "moneygrab" is pretty absurd. It's the continuing evolution of the laptop. Smaller, faster, etc. You might think the MBA will be gone from the Apple lineup in 4 years time? I think it will probably be alive and well however running off the guts of the current 15"/17" MBP's and sporting a 15 hour battery.

The laptop isn't going anywhere. And while tablets will only get better, they won't mean the end of desktops/laptops. Honestly I don't really agree with Diaz when it comes to many of his proclamations about the future of computers. Shortly after the iPad was released he wrote an article about how it meant the desktop would be non-existent in 3 to 4 years time. Right.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the desktop will never lose it's functionality.

direct troubleshooting, 3rd party devices and easy modd'ing dictate as much.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A little off track question, but not much.

I love the idea of SSD HDs ( even though the current crop seems small capacity though OK for what they are used for. ) They seem to be pricey too. But they are light weight and supposedly more durable and less likely to fail than standard HDs.

Anyway, with the original MB Air they seemed to be one of the better selling points. Do any of you computer hardware guys know if Windows type NB, Netbook, or tablet devices are keeping pace with Apple in the use of SSD HDs?

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is probably a better option for me than a MBP.

I've got a 15" with a 500GB HD, etc. - but since my media files (iTunes, photo archives) are on my iMac and backed up to two different hard drives, I don't really need that kind of space. I don't use a MBP for editing photos on the road anymore, so I probably don't even need it to be able to run LR3.

To take to school and to do some basic tasks with, the Air looks like a decent option.
I was never a fan at the old price point (it debuted at what, $1800 for the lowest-end model?), but $1000 even isn't bad.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also should point out that I have a non-3G iPad and a 15" MBP - I could sell those, get a MBA and come out a couple hundred ahead.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Anyway, with the original MB Air they seemed to be one of the better selling points. Do any of you computer hardware guys know if Windows type NB, Netbook, or tablet devices are keeping pace with Apple in the use of SSD HDs?

Please tell me you aren't serious.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim

hahahahahahaaaaaahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

my friends ssd windows machine boots up in 15 seconds.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just in case you are serious, yes. There are quite a few Windows laptop/Netbook SSD computers on the market. For example: Dell began shipping laptops with SSD in April 2007. You ever heard of the Asus EeePC? They've had SSD's in them since 2007 too.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why? Heres a good story on the subject. And the Google search for SSD HDs. You are the expert. But my quick reading of the above stuff seems to indicate that the trend is all toward an increase of SSD storage though it may be quite a while before there is a complete switch over ( due to cost considerations? ) No? PS: I just saw your above post. It will be a while before I need a new NB or go with an additional tablet. When I do, it will probably be a Windows type device with some sort of SSD HD. I hope the price goes way down as it always seems to do with stuff like this.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You are the expert. But my quick reading of the above stuff seems to indicate that the trend is all toward an increase of SSD storage though it may be quite a while before there is a complete switch over ( due to cost considerations? ) No?
I think you misunderstand. Read my followup post. Apple is the "new kid on the block" with SSD. They are playing catchup, not leading and innovating.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you misunderstand. Read my followup post.

Apple is the "new kid on the block" with SSD. They are playing catchup, not leading and innovating.

As usual with Apple. I see.

I guess the 64 G SSD HD in the original MB Air seemed innovative to guys like me because it was unusual at the time. Now, I see that it was because of price mainly, I see.

2 years ago, nobody was putting SSD HDs in $400 Acer value NBs. In bet in 2 or 3 years SSD HDs will be common in value NBs.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus, is there anything more pathetic than people arguing on the internet about computers? It's a tool to get a job done. If you like it...fine, if you don't...fine. It's just a computer.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
2 years ago, nobody was putting SSD HDs in $400 Acer value NBs. In bet in 2 or 3 years SSD HDs will be common in value NBs.
It depends on what you mean. They were putting SSD's into EeePC's three years ago for under $400 Right now, the price/performance ratio of SSD is nowhere near where it needs to be to "replace" the 250-500GB HDD found in "budget" or "value" PC's. Two or three years might be a different story, but as of right now, not even close. It's still $400-700 wholesale just for a 250GB drive. The people who want a "cheap" laptop, look at the specs and see two $400 laptops. One has 64GB of memory, one has 500 GB of memory. All other specs are close enough to being identical. Which one is going to sell?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads