• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To tailor or to trash? (Express MK2)

Reaction score
Wash it in hot water and throw it in a hot dryer for an hour. I bet you could at least salvage it for jeans or something before you just completely toss it...

chiefrocker2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandabear2cute4u
Hi there guys, first post here..

I wanted to get some feedback about a issue I have. First off, I have a L Express MK2 Fitted that I purchased off eBay a few months ago. At the time, I had never tried on a actual shirt from Express (big mistake,) but I just liked the look of the shirt and they no longer carried the particular color in stores.. I figured a XL would be huge and a M would be too tight, so I went with a L. I get the package and try it on, it is huge on me, the sleeves must be a 34/35 and the collar is a 16 or so.. Now Im stuck with a shirt that is pretty much unwearable, probably cant sell it, even though Ive only tried it on and it still has all the tags. Since then, I have tried on a M in store and it has a pretty perfect fit, go figure.

Oh, for my height and weight, I am about 5'8 and 188 pounds.

Here are a few pictures of the shirt in question..

DSCN0759.jpg

DSCN0763.jpg

DSCN0765.jpg

DSCN0766.jpg

DSCN0767.jpg

I apologize for the crappy pictures, but I just snapped them real quick.

I know Express isnt the best quality stuff out there, but I really like the design of the shirt, at least looking at it on other people..

So guys, what do I do? Have it tailored and the sleeves shortened or shelf it for good? I live in Los Angeles, so if I do decide to have it tailored, it will be done locally.

Also, I intended to wear this with a tie, but all the ties I have are old and HUGE, probably like 3 and 1/2 at their widest.. I figured a 2 and 1/2 would be proper, but I havent made any purchases yet.

I hate to break it to you but I do not think you can tailor that. The reason why is because of the collar. It is impossible to tailor a collar. Also, the tailoring for the sleeves and such would probably cost as much as the shirt, so I really do not think it is worth it. I would just give it to charity and consider it a good deed.

echau

Reaction score
Even if it was magically tailored, you said you intended to wear that shirt with a tie, which in my opinion, would be a bad look.

Reaction score
Thank you for all the feedback everyone! I really appreciate it.. As for the shirt, I am still undecided, but I see the general concession here is to burn it with fire, LMFAO!

Originally Posted by cioni2k
Give it to a relative, friend, goodwill, or offer it free on the For Sale forums here. Its not worth the money being an express shirt. It will cost a lot of money to shorten the sleeves (not the cheapest alteration) and since the collar/chest is too big, its just a lost cause. If you really are dead-set on the shirt by Express, go in and pick up a Medium (that you said fits you well) from the store on sale. There are sales everyday at the place its the biggest gimmick in the world.

I will probably have to pick up a M, but last time I checked, they no longer have the color.. Hahha, yeah, I know they have sales all the time, but the products still seem pricey to me.

Originally Posted by Eight
What's with the sleeve length? Did you order size 40 sleeves or something?

I wouln't get it altered, too much work. Start over with much shorter sleeves and maybe .5 less collar size. Rest of the sizing seems fine.

Well, I just ordered a L, which is all they had on eBay at the time.. I couldnt choose sleeve length or collar size, thats just how it came.

Ill probably just have to buy a M, which fits okay.

Originally Posted by identity-x
I'll take it off your hands. $8 shipped. Interested?
smile.gif

Ill let you know, but I dont think Im quite ready to lose that much money.. (Im broke enough as it is...)

Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan-27
Burn it, or at least re-sell it on ebay. As ****** as Express stuff is, there is a market for it.

LOL, well.. eBay is exactly where I got it from, so I might just do that.

Originally Posted by EdenResident
You can't tailor that ugly color. Donate it.

Hahhaha, well, I happen to like the color quite a bit and I wasnt planning to wear it formally or anything, just with sneakers. Thank you though!

Originally Posted by twosnapsandgo
For a Casual look the shirt looks nice and compliments your skin tone. You're 5'8''!!! 188 means your not a skinny guy but not full figured either so you should know better than to get an "L" which would probably include a 35-36 sleeve length and 16.5 on the neck as a Standard.

Yea, thanks..! Any suggestions on what other colors would compliment my skin tone? Yeah, Im built pretty average at the moment.. I plan to drop at least 20 pounds in the next 2 months, but who knows how that will go. I guess a L definitely wont fit me then.. Eh, as I mentioned in the first post, I just guessed a M would be way too tight.

Originally Posted by MysticalParrot
Wash it in hot water and throw it in a hot dryer for an hour. I bet you could at least salvage it for jeans or something before you just completely toss it...

Does anyone else here think that this could potentially shrink it up enough to be wearable? I kind of have my doubts based on previous experience, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by chiefrocker2
I hate to break it to you but I do not think you can tailor that. The reason why is because of the collar. It is impossible to tailor a collar. Also, the tailoring for the sleeves and such would probably cost as much as the shirt, so I really do not think it is worth it. I would just give it to charity and consider it a good deed.

Yeah, I understand the part about the collar and figured the sleeves might be kind of pricey, but not so bad.. Do you really think the collar is too big? My perfect fit collar is a 15 and 1/2, but this isnt that far off of that, I guess its a 16? Please educate me on proper collar sizing.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by echau
Even if it was magically tailored, you said you intended to wear that shirt with a tie, which in my opinion, would be a bad look.

Yeah, I wanted to wear it with a tie.. Similar to this picture, but not the same patterns.

20_556_6055_816.jpg

I thought it would be a okay look? Shrugs**

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wanted to wear it with a tie.. Similar to this picture, but not the same patterns.

20_556_6055_816.jpg

I thought it would be a okay look? Shrugs**

A piece of advice for you. Unless you are young, hip, inherently-stylish, have a way with the ladies and are constantly getting laid by playboy bunnies, this will look stupid on you. If any of the following is true, then it will look like a costume:

- you are an engineering or math student
- you have an overweight girlfriend
- you haven't been laid in the last month
- you drive a toyota corolla
- you go out once or twice a week with the same group of loser friends to the same bar
- you think that this look will make you cool and girls will flock to your charisma
- you live with your parents

In any case, to my eye a shirt with a tie on an average Joe will look more like he works at Best Buy than anything. A tie without a jacket is not a good idea. A white tie is NEVER a good idea. Stay on this forum, it will change the way you dress and perceive yourself. Dressing is about finding your style and becoming comfortable with what you are, not trying to fit an image fed to you by (in this case) the Express website.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
A piece of advice for you. Unless you are young, hip, inherently-stylish, have a way with the ladies and are constantly getting laid by playboy bunnies, this will look stupid on you. If any of the following is true, then it will look like a costume:

- you are an engineering or math student
- you have an overweight girlfriend
- you haven't been laid in the last month
- you drive a toyota corolla
- you go out once or twice a week with the same group of loser friends to the same bar
- you think that this look will make you cool and girls will flock to your charisma
- you live with your parents

In any case, to my eye a shirt with a tie on an average Joe will look more like he works at Best Buy than anything. A tie without a jacket is not a good idea. A white tie is NEVER a good idea. Stay on this forum, it will change the way you dress and perceive yourself. Dressing is about finding your style and becoming comfortable with what you are, not trying to fit an image fed to you by (in this case) the Express website.

LMFAO, well, I guess I didnt give any information on who I am.. Here is some basic information; Im 20, a college student, drives sports cars like a asshole, I club and party occasionally, I live on my own. I guess the most important thing, I am a former sneakerhead, well.. I still am I guess, but Im transitioning... ;D LOL!

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else here think that this could potentially shrink it up enough to be wearable? I kind of have my doubts based on previous experience, but I could be wrong.

wont shrink a full size. medium is a perfect fit? then cut your losses, sell this, and get a medium, end of story. (that is, if you stand the awful quality of the fabric used by express)

Saltricks

Reaction score
- you are an engineering or math student - you drive a toyota corolla - you live with your parents .
plain.gif
so I should be wearing flip flops, jorts and an undershirt around? *burns all of his suits* Edit: I have a few express shirts. The stretchy fabric feels horrible, but the cut isn't that bad, actually. If I could get a brooks brother shirting material and get it cut like an express shirt with a different collar, i'd be happy.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
plain.gif

so I should be wearing flip flops, jorts and an undershirt around?

*burns all of his suits*

Edit:
I have a few express shirts. The stretchy fabric feels horrible, but the cut isn't that bad, actually. If I could get a brooks brother shirting material and get it cut like an express shirt with a different collar, i'd be happy.

85622-2614054.jpg

Saltricks

Reaction score
85622-2614054.jpg

Haha
bounce2.gif
I thought you were lumping all nice clothes along with his example. I do feel weird stepping out of my corolla in a 3 piece suit though :\\

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
Haha
bounce2.gif

I thought you were lumping all nice clothes along with his example.

I do feel weird stepping out of my corolla in a 3 piece suit though :\\

Call me next time, I'll give you a lift in my BMW.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LMFAO, well, I guess I didnt give any information on who I am.. Here is some basic information; Im 20, a college student, drives sports cars like a asshole, I club and party occasionally, I live on my own. I guess the most important thing, I am a former sneakerhead, well.. I still am I guess, but Im transitioning... ;D LOL!

Sneakers with that outfit would be the height of douchebaggery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads