• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1-Button Thoughts

adamfoldes

Reaction score
Going to be ordering a new suit and I am torn to go with 1-button or 2-button. The suit will be single breasted notch lapel with a double breasted waistcoat with shawl collar. Any thoughts?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should get a notch lapel waistcoat and a 1b peak lapel coat.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
I think you should get a notch lapel waistcoat and a 1b peak lapel coat.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of a one-button front with anything but a peak lapel (assuming we're talking about a single-breasted jacket, of course).

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One button and notch lapel look bad together.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1.

My sole one-button suits are a tuxedo and a peak-lapel three-piece w/ DB vest.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You should get a one button and then change your mind and send it back to Naples and have them cut two more buttons.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More than half my coats are one button ... both peaked and notched. But what others think is of no concern.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brax

I personally don't like one button coats but I don't think this is true. There is nothing inherently bad about that combo.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brax

Beotian...

It is my favourite look...

chiefrocker2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adamfoldes
Going to be ordering a new suit and I am torn to go with 1-button or 2-button. The suit will be single breasted notch lapel with a double breasted waistcoat with shawl collar. Any thoughts?

I would suggest going with a peak lapel when it comes to 1 button suits. If you go 2 button however, a notch lapel is just fine. In my opinion, 2 button suits are overall a better buy but it depends on the occassion ofcourse.

alebrady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiefrocker2
In my opinion, 2 button suits are overall a better buy.
rolleyes.gif

I assume because of that free extra button

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiefrocker2
In my opinion, 2 button suits are overall a better buy...
That's okay ... I'll forego that extra button. Huntsman (and Richard Anderslon) have long had a preference for the one-button coat ... and now that even Anderson & Sheppard will make up a SB coat w/ a one-button closure ... I'm a happy camper all around.

alebrady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
That's okay ... I'll forego that extra button. Huntsman (and Richard Anderslon) have long had a preference for the one-button coat ... and now that even Anderson & Sheppard will make up a SB coat w/ a one-button closure ... I'm a happy camper all around.

Had I listened to Brian
frown.gif

My first jacket was a 1 button and on the next i decided to mix it up and go with a roll 2.5.

Saw Richard last week for a final fitting and though beautifully rendered, would have been that much more so had i followed brian's recommendation to stay with the 1

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like 1 button coats, quite fashionable at the moment.

Personally, I don't mind the, on DB lapel or notch lapel SB suits, my tailor however, doesn't like them on notch lapels even though he makes them for me.

I don't like lapels on waistcoats, even though I have worn them on various occasions.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS

I agree. I love the Huntsman look, 1-button with notch lapels. It isn't like the bottom button serves a purpose. I still like 2-button jackets, but I think 1-button and 3-button jackets look more balanced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads