• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

selling clothes that don't fit anymore vs. tailoring your clothes to fit

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
it seems everyone sells their clothes as soon as they no longer fit, but why sell when you can just get them tailored? i just went through all my jeans and pants, and i'm just going to get the waist, seat, and thighs taken in. even shirts can be taken in to a degree - the shoulders, chest, torso, sleeves, etc. it's a helluva lot cheaper than replacing your clothes, and you can also keep the clothes that are no longer available. this seems obvious to me, but am curious as to why people don't do this. and in fact, a tailor will often make your clothes fit better than off-the-rack.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
learning extensively and finding brands/styles that you enjoy requires ceaseless experimentation and, therefore, a high "turnover rate" in clothes. it's part of the investment you make in becoming a super fly dude

in short, i think it has nothing to do with weight fluctuation

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe
it seems everyone sells their clothes as soon as they no longer fit, but why sell when you can just get them tailored? i just went through all my jeans and pants, and i'm just going to get the waist, seat, and thighs taken in. even shirts can be taken in to a degree - the shoulders, chest, torso, sleeves, etc. it's a helluva lot cheaper than replacing your clothes, and you can also keep the clothes that are no longer available. this seems obvious to me, but am curious as to why people don't do this. and in fact, a tailor will often make your clothes fit better than off-the-rack.
cause i like buying new **** and thats that. yes, you do have a point but you still need to support your retailers (yes, again and again)...

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe
it seems everyone sells their clothes as soon as they no longer fit, but why sell when you can just get them tailored?

When most people are talking about clothes no longer fitting, it's because they've gotten bigger (fatter, more muscular, taller if young) rather than smaller.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex
When most people are talking about clothes no longer fitting, it's because they've gotten bigger (fatter, more muscular, taller if young) rather than smaller.
lol, that seems to be the trend...not sure its a good one though.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get my stuff tailored rather than replace it. And actually, it's because I got smaller. I had surgery on my shoulder after beating up my rotator cuff at the gym. I lost 15 lbs. in 6 months after that. So I was trying to put on muscle and ended up losing weight. Go figure.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm def an advocate of getting stuff tailored, or learning how to tailor

If it's just a matter of fit... def go with tailoring. But tailoring won't save a ****** piece

aphextwin07

Reaction score
why hello, captain obvious. its a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

sure you can do this to an extent with stuff you really like if its a quality piece. but if its crap and you are just trying to salvage it as opposed to investing more for better warez... then its really not sensible.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get some of my stuff tailored if I really like it. I've actually started tailoring some of my shirts myself. Most stuff is a pain ********** to get tailored, considering there isn't a decent tailor within 100 miles of me.

adidasfan

Reaction score
I am assuming unless someone lives in Pakistan, China or Vietnam getting cloths
taylored is hella expensive.
Unless doing it yourself.

Maybe I am wrong or just poor.

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adidasfan
I am assuming unless someone lives in Pakistan, China or Vietnam getting cloths taylored is hella expensive. Unless doing it yourself. Maybe I am wrong or just poor.
Place I go to I've never paid more than $18 to have a shirt altered, and that was for recutting the sides to raise the armholes, darting it for a slimmer fit, removing excess fabric from the sleeves, moving the cuff buttons and redoing the sleeve. Jackets cost a bit more (think the tailoring on a full suit ran me about $80 last time), pants less.
Originally Posted by softy
tailoring all of your jcrew/gap/etc stuff is just throwing good money after bad
A Gap shirt, well tailored, will look better than a badly fitting shirt that cost 10x more. It will also look better than an off-the-rack shirt that cost the same as the Gap shirt plus the alterations.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex
A Gap shirt, well tailored, will look better than a badly fitting shirt that cost 10x more. It will also look better than an off-the-rack shirt that cost the same as the Gap shirt plus the alterations.
**** that, just buy mtm, better to have a couple MTM shirts that rule than a bunch of Gap shirts that fit decently but are made out of **** materials

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads