• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 721LTD Shell Cordovan 1000 Mile Boot Review

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep that's right. This is the thread where I'm going to do a long term test of the Wolverine 721LTD 1000 Mile Boot made of Horween's world famous #8 Shell Cordovan. Wolverine has produced two excellent videos about the leather used in these boots and how they are made. Both are worth watching. You can find them here. Recently Wolverine posted a press release about these boots and if you google up the 721LTD you'll find various other press releases and sneak peak reviews.

Well I'm not employed by Wolverine, some style magazine or ad agency. What I'm going to do to these boots is run them through the mill much like my other pair of 1000 Mile Boots which I have written about in other threads on this site. Still two thumbs up on those boots BTW. Just might make that 1000 mile claim of Wolverine's. Anyway let's get back to the 721LTDs shall we?

So back in the store there's this shipping container from Wolverine with my PO number on it. Oh baby it's Christmas in October for this ol' boy! I open it up and peak inside. The first thing I see is a certificate of authenticity and little card that says they are made of Horween Shell Cordovan. Under that are two black boot bags that say 1000 Mile 721 LTD Wolverine with a boot in each one. Hmmmmm this is pretty cool and a nice touch on Wolverine's part. Out comes the boots and well to say they are nice is an understatement. There's nothing like a good pair of boots or shoes in Shell Cordovan. The smell of the leather, how it looks and feels is just plain sexy. It's even better when I figure out mine are number 57 of 1000 pairs produced. I guess now you can add exotic as in there aren't many of these around into the mix of my first impressions. I like that. I looked them over and the construction is top notch as expected. Again this isn't my first pair of the made in USA 1000 Milers so I really wasn't expecting anything less than top notch quality. So out came the boot trees that Wolverine includes in the package and I laced them up and put 'em on.

Nice, very nice indeed.

For anyone who hasn't read my field test of the original 1000 Mile Boot here's what's going to happen. These boots were bought for specific types of use. Like my other pair these will be used as light hiking boots, daily **** kickers out in the pasture and for general walkabouts in the neighborhood or afield. I'm not going to baby them in any way. These boots are patterned after the original 1000 Mile boot sold in 1914. In 1914 they were marketed and sold as a premier work boot. To me this is not about fashion or following some trend. I don't give a rat's ass about either when it comes down to footwear. I need a boot that is comfortable, durable, highly water resistant and goes wherever I go without failing for years and years. Some people might think I'm nuts to beat a 700+ buck retail priced boot but IMO Wolverine never designed the original to be babyed and I doubt that's what they intended with the current release.

If anyone else who owns these wants to post pics or add comments feel free to do so.

Let the fun begin.

CIMG0907 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

CIMG0909 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

CIMG0911 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

CIMG0913 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

CIMG0914 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

CIMG0915 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

CIMG0916 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

CIMG0920 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

CIMG0921 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

CIMG0922 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:

300zx1985

Reaction score
Beautiful boots, the 1000 mile has been on my list to buy for this winter.

JonathanHemlock

Reaction score
Every photo I have ever seen of these says, "the pics don't do them justice." Someone somewhere needs to invest in a better camera, or are the boots just so stunning that camera technology hasn't caught up yet?

in any case, looking forward to your ongoing review!

TBSDSpaniard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's

CIMG0922 by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

Sick.
worship.gif

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TBSDSpaniard
Sick.
worship.gif

They really are a bad ass boot. Really comfortable out of the box. I'll wear them all day tomorrow.

It's supposed to rain here after that so I'm going to do my infamous welt/upper snoseal treatment before they see water. I suppose I should take pics of the process for the benefit of anyone who wants to know how waterproofing a leather boot is really done.

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
I suppose I should take pics of the process for the benefit of anyone who wants to know how waterproofing a leather boot is really done.
Please do. I was amazed when you claimed that your feet stayed dry after hiking through some sloppy stuff in your 1000 Miles. I'm guessing that had something to do with your waterproofing technique.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
Please do. I was amazed when you claimed that your feet stayed dry after hiking through some sloppy stuff in your 1000 Miles. I'm guessing that had something to do with your waterproofing technique.

It also has a lot to do with the construction of the boot. If they leak like a sieve versus slightly seeping you're out of luck no matter what you do. These boots looks like they might seep a bit if you trudged through a swamp for half the day. What I do virtually stops this problem when done on a regular basis. I really really hate wet feet. LOL.

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Congratulations - wear them in good health.

Thanks Moo, I plan on it.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
I want a pair of these soooo bad. Alden took all my cash. :/

I think I'll ring up unionmade to see if they have my size though.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
please put up a snoseal tutorial. i am about to rder some for my 1000 mile regular boots.

those cordovans look absolutely amazing.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't think I'd like these but even on this ****** monitor they look bad ass. Luckily (or unlickily) I don't have a spare G for boots right now

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice, but they really cost that much?
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads