• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

colins

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Most J. Crew is made in China.

It is unfortunate that there don't seem to be many valid Made in USA choices for the average guy. By valid I mean stylish, good fit, and affordable. I know I can buy stuff here in town, especially MiUSA hemp clothing for reasonable prices, but the fit is awful, and the stuff is not durable.

I sometimes feel bad about buying stuff made in China but at the same time, I'm going to wear this stuff for a long time, it's going to basically hold up for a while, and it's what I can afford.

I have really been trying to buy things only made in USA, Canada, Italy, etc. recently and although I don't have a ton of cash to throw around, it's not as difficult as I imagined. Pea coats have ironically been my first road block, but only because Sterlingwear is backordered in size 36R/L for all of their coats in navy. Fortunately for me, my school has a tailor in their military shop who does work for the corps and the marching band, so I don't think a pea coat is out of his ability. I guess I will try to grab a vintage one off of ebay.

2balls

Reaction score
Question- does sterlingwear send out shipping info with their orders? I'm expecting something but unsure of how they handle those matters.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2balls
Question- does sterlingwear send out shipping info with their orders? I'm expecting something but unsure of how they handle those matters.

I ordered from the last week and never heard back about if it was backordered or shipped so I emailed them. They emailed me back the next day and said my order was on backorder and they gave me an expected ship date but said that they are having computer issues and if the item is backordered the buyer isn't getting automatically notified like they normally do. So I would contact them.

Incidentally, I got an automated email from them this morning or last night saying that my jacket has now shipped.

theuglylover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maritimetimetime
yay or nay? sterlingwear 32S

img0553a.jpg

img3513t.jpg

What's your chest measurement? I'd like a similar fit to yours. Did you size down at all?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anyone have before and after alterations shots on a sterlingwear?

I'd like to know how much of the boxy-look can be taken out by a tailor taking in the waist/tapering it.

Phat Ham

Reaction score
j. crew peacoat w/thinsulate in charcoal. size XS. I'm 5'11" 150 lbs 36" chest. Fits surprisingly slim. Much more slim than the university coat. Though at $275 and made in China I'm tempted to order a sterlingwear and save myself $100. Even if I pay to get the sterlingwear altered I'll still come out ahead. Too bad sterlingwear doesn't make a charcoal coat.

sorry for the poor image quality
peacoat.jpg

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deluxdylan
Finally got my sterlingwear. I got a 36R. I'm 5'10 155lbs and a 36'' chest.

Is the area around your arms tight? I notice with my 34R its really tight if i swing my arms.. I"m 5"10 and 140.... Usually wear a 36R suit,

But man it's tight...

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got the Temple of Jawnz Peacoat in Loden Green.

Great color!

Did anyone else notice excess bunching of material on the backside near the armpits?
Also my shoulders have a weird roll to them.

Anyone have opinions on that?

Pictures to follow. . .

Venetar

Reaction score
How skinny are you people? And what is going on with the sizing of stearlingware? Thought I was super skinny, but after measuring my chest (Without clothes and up by my armpits). I end up at 37.4" Which according to the stearlingware sizing chart puts me almost in the middle? When it comes to american sizes I'm usually more small, or maybe even XS.

Wonder if I should dare buying size 40, with a 38" chest?

Edit: Ah... You're sizing down because the sizes on the site is far from accurate.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Ham
j. crew peacoat w/thinsulate in charcoal. size XS. I'm 5'11" 150 lbs 36" chest. Fits surprisingly slim. Much more slim than the university coat. Though at $275 and made in China I'm tempted to order a sterlingwear and save myself $100. Even if I pay to get the sterlingwear altered I'll still come out ahead. Too bad sterlingwear doesn't make a charcoal coat.

sorry for the poor image quality
peacoat.jpg

I ordered same J. crew in black and small (i'm 5'11" 156 lbs ~) and waiting for it to arrive via proxy. Wouldnt the J. crew also be warmer than sterlingwear because of thinsulate? So seems like it's a nice slim fit? I might layer and stuff as well so I think small would be good for me.

deluxdylan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 7_rocket
Is the area around your arms tight? I notice with my 34R its really tight if i swing my arms.. I"m 5"10 and 140.... Usually wear a 36R suit,

But man it's tight...

No it's not that tight for me, probably has something to do with the 2'' larger chest. I feel like it's a great fit for me, i just sized down one from the sterlingwear recommended 38

Phat Ham

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarksdb
I ordered same J. crew in black and small (i'm 5'11" 156 lbs ~) and waiting for it to arrive via proxy. Wouldnt the J. crew also be warmer than sterlingwear because of thinsulate? So seems like it's a nice slim fit? I might layer and stuff as well so I think small would be good for me.
The xs doesn't leave much room to layer. It's definitely slimmer fitting than the university coat and the field mechanics jacket both of which I will be returning.

I have no idea on the warmth. The j. crew has thinsulate but it's always possible the sterlingwear has thicker, warmer wool.

I'll probably order a sterlingwear and hold onto the j. crew until I get the sterlingwear so I can compare them side by side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads