• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So what is really the deal with Charles Tyrwhitt? and what Jermyn Street shirt to buy

bjornb17

Reaction score
Recently received 1 shirt that i ordered from Charles Tyrwhitt. It was great, it had pattern matching, workmanship was very good etc. So i got excited and ordered 3 more shirts from them.

Patterns on 2 of them are way off. One of them as frayed stitching all around the sleeve. Generally pretty disappointed. Nothing like my experience with the first shirt. Is this the norm?

What Jermyn Street shirt would you recommend that meets the following criteria:

Slim fit (not too slim, though
Pattern matching
Ideally a shirt that is a little longer with 1 more button
Non-Iron

Thanks

stylomilo

Reaction score
Hilditch & Key for excellent pattern matching . Not sure if they do non-iron. Wait for the sale to pick them up at good prices

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylomilo
Hilditch & Key for excellent pattern matching . Not sure if they do non-iron. Wait for the sale to pick them up at good prices

I just checked out their website and they charge a fortune for my size (16.5x34) since it is not one of their standard sizes. Doh!!! Am I just expecting too much?

bjornb17

Reaction score
Just received a response back from CT regarding my inquiry to pattern matching. They say that the patterns are intended to match from the yoke to the sleeve. So ill be returning 2 of the shirts I bought and I'll see if i receive back matches correctly!

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
Recently received 1 shirt that i ordered from Charles Tyrwhitt. It was great, it had pattern matching, workmanship was very good etc. So i got excited and ordered 3 more shirts from them.

Patterns on 2 of them are way off. One of them as frayed stitching all around the sleeve. Generally pretty disappointed. Nothing like my experience with the first shirt. Is this the norm?

What Jermyn Street shirt would you recommend that meets the following criteria:

Slim fit (not too slim, though
Pattern matching
Ideally a shirt that is a little longer with 1 more button
Non-Iron

Thanks

i have an h&k shirt in a ""slim" fit. it is absolutely massive on me, and i do not consider myself slim...
the only way you'll have a shirt that actually fits is to go bespoke, although i realize the price goes up considerably.

otherwise h&h have nice collars, decent construction, but it will not fit you unless you are portly. you can try their MTM, but at 140 pounds i believe, you'd be better off going to dege or o'flynn or other bespoke

mdp0430

Reaction score
The H&K shirts are massive, I mean be prepared to set sail that's how large they are. Also, their pocket is larger than normal and it looks weird.

For the sale price the CT shirts aren't bad at all, and in my opinion, better than the non-iron stuff BB offers. I feel that the TML shirts are worse quality than CT. I like the HH shirts too, but I wouldn't wear them when going to court...

Provided you're not working with non-iron fabric, a good tailor can work wonders.

gnowad

Reaction score
I generally like the CT shirts and wear them to work. Slim fit and non-iron are my favorite since the regular fit are very baggy and the tailored fits are too narrow for me (I'm 6'0, 180lbs). That being said, I would NEVER buy them at full price. They have sales very frequently, usually 4 shirts for $200, but the secret is to buy them in GBP, which they offer 4 shirts for 100GBP. Stupidly, they use a 1GBP:2USD exchange rate, which is way overpriced. I don't know what the exchange is now, but last time I purchased CT shirts, it came out to 4 shirts for about $150 with no tax. Call them up a few minutes after your order and request it to be shipped to your nearest CT store for free shipping
teacha.gif

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
For what they cost, they are suitable. They will never approach the actual Jermyn St shirtmakers, but that is not their aim with shirts at like 20 GBP.

WRT Non-irons: I'm going to argue that they are pretty much equivalent with BB, JAB and Kirkland signature with regards to fabric.

WRT Slim-fits: Slimmer than BB Slim fit. However, I prefer the BB extra slim fit cut to the CT. The CTs shoulders are too narrow for me and while they look okay on me, I can feel them slightly restrictive. IMO, the BB has broader shoulders. Also, I am 6'3 and the CT shirts are too short for me. They frequently come untucked at the sides, which bothers me.

hst

Reaction score
My experience with CT has thus far been good. They shipped promptly with very secure packaging. I have bought polo shirts, shirts and trousers from them. Fairly high quality construction and fabric for the price they charge.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. CT has been very helpful and accomodating when i contacted them and I think the issue is going to get worked out just fine.

stylomilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
+1

Paying at full price (about 75 GBP) is a bit steep. On sale they're about 40-45 apiece, IIRC.

When *is* the next sale, anyway?

The Sale by Mail usually comes out just after Christmas & runs until end Jan.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17

Patterns on 2 of them are way off. One of them as frayed stitching all around the sleeve. Generally pretty disappointed.

I'd say you got very lucky with your first shirt ... because your first experience is NOT the norm at CT.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I'd say you got very lucky with your first shirt ... because your first experience is NOT the norm at CT.
Wearing one right now, and the shoulders match up. I think they do this for all of mine (5+). I find it hard to believe that I got lucky on all 5+.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Wearing one right now, and the shoulders match up. I think they do this for all of mine (5+). I find it hard to believe that I got lucky on all 5+.
Then CT is quite changed from its early days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads