• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend some Classical music recordings for me

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I'm not offering an opinion on any performance, merely noting that a performance that is faithful to the score would be incredibly pedal-heavy.

Different instrument, although on a modern grand you can pretty much half-pedal the entire way and get a similar effect to what Beethoven was after.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
Different instrument, although on a modern grand you can pretty much half-pedal the entire way and get a similar effect to what Beethoven was after.

Wait, Beethoven told you this?
devil.gif
(Just giving Koji a hard time --- there's a big debate in the classical music world about figuring out composers' intentions.)

Just heard the Mozart piano concerto #25 on the radio (Ivan Moravec, Czech PO), and I keep forgetting how much I like his late piano concerti. Any suggestions for recordings with lots of personality?

--Andre

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
devil.gif
(Just giving Koji a hard time --- there's a big debate in the classical music world about figuring out composers' intentions.)

Just heard the Mozart piano concerto #25 on the radio (Ivan Moravec, Czech PO), and I keep forgetting how much I like his late piano concerti. Any suggestions for recordings with lots of personality?

--Andre

The crazy Japanese woman is great. Uchida?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Uchida has not been my cup of tea in the past, but perhaps it's time to give her another try.

--Andre

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
devil.gif

--Andre

Heh, well when we have eyewitness accounts (also from Czerny) about Beethoven's very liberal use of pedal (for example holding it down for the entire slow movement of the 3rd concerto), I think one can infer that effect is what he was after. Of course, as I said earlier, it's much more easily done on a fortepiano (as demonstrated by Bob Levin on several occasions wonderfully).
And it's certainly true, Andre the whole "composer's intentions" thing is a very slippery slope, indeed.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Thanks. Uchida has not been my cup of tea in the past, but perhaps it's time to give her another try.

--Andre

If you're looking for a complete set of Mozart concerti, I highly recommend Geza Anda.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Koji. I'll check out the Anda series, and I totally forgot about Robert Levin, too. I like the HIP interpretations, because sometimes they do the craziest and most fascinating things (eg. Rifkin's 1-person/part Bach b-minor Mass).

--Andre

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem; forgot to mention since you were asking about #25, Leon Fleisher's wonderful recording (I think with Szell)--definitely worth hearing!

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good suggestion! That's the one that came with the complete Beethoven PC, too, I think.

--Andre

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
No problem; forgot to mention since you were asking about #25, Leon Fleisher's wonderful recording (I think with Szell)--definitely worth hearing!

Big fan of Fleisher/Szell doing Beethoven's 3rd and 4th piano concertos. And of course, they're tops when it comes to Brahms' 1st.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FiveFiveFive
Big fan of Fleisher/Szell doing Beethoven's 3rd and 4th piano concertos. And of course, they're tops when it comes to Brahms' 1st.

Definitely and although the live Kapell/Mitropoulos Brahms 1st is my favourite, certainly the Fleisher/Szell is up there in the stratosphere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics