• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Yes, I think of WD40 as very temporary. That's why so many things can be sprayed with it and not get ruined.
I tried once a gloss nail polish but I don't recommend it - probably too glossy and could ruin the finish altogether.

I wouldn't recommend this either. Nail polish may "mask" the problem but getting it on your lenses is a whole different discussion.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yodawg
lenses on my sunglasses turned from a horrible dark green into a dark brown. was it the heat? will it go back to green when it cools? they are cheapie generic lenses i had the optician put in and i've been thinking of having them redone with better ones when they were green. the brown looks good still not great quality though. any lens brand recs? i'd really appreciate it.

I'm assuming you are talking about RX lenses. The lenses are fading. If they changed that much in color I am assuming you got a high index material. The color will not go back to the original color. You can get them re-tinted but all the small scratches and pits will become MORE apparent. You probably asked for a grey-green or a chocolate color. In any case, have them re-tint it or get new lenses. The UV has "killed" your lenses.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jenkinslaw
I am looking to take the plunge on some vintage-inspired frames. After researching this thread and doing my own research, I am particularly interested in SALT optics and L.A. Eyeworks. SALT seems to have an excellent reputation, but there is not much on L.A. Eyeworks. What are your thoughts on the quality of L.A. Eyeworks versus SALT?

Salt is a relatively new company. LA Eyeworks has been around for a while. I haven't held an LA Eyeworks frame in years, but if they still make them like they used to they are probably really good quality. The Salt frames are made in Japan (according to my knowledge), and they are made well. They don't need much after service (read: warranty issues). I don't think either are inexpensive solutions but you will probably get sick of them before they break on you.

vespajg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
WD-40 probably won't work. Olive oil will probably work as a temporary solution. If you want to do it yourself get a jewelery polish wheel and they will look like new. It will even buff out and remove the small burrs and scratches.

Thanks CC. I tried the olive oil and you are correct - it was temporary. Nice, but temporary. I can get a jewelry polish wheel for my dremel tool . . . I suppose I will need some kind of polishing compound. Some kind of rouge type stuff . . . I'll have to do a little research . . .

thx for the reply . . .

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vespajg
Thanks CC. I tried the olive oil and you are correct - it was temporary. Nice, but temporary. I can get a jewelry polish wheel for my dremel tool . . . I suppose I will need some kind of polishing compound. Some kind of rouge type stuff . . . I'll have to do a little research . . .

thx for the reply . . .

You probably have an acetate frame. If you go to any jewelry supply store just ask if you can use it on acetate. Just treat your glasses as a jewelry and you will be fine.
smile.gif

jenkinslaw

Reaction score
Salt is a relatively new company. LA Eyeworks has been around for a while. I haven't held an LA Eyeworks frame in years, but if they still make them like they used to they are probably really good quality. The Salt frames are made in Japan (according to my knowledge), and they are made well. They don't need much after service (read: warranty issues). I don't think either are inexpensive solutions but you will probably get sick of them before they break on you.

Thanks, CC! Going with the SALT Nolan's. Wife loves 'em!

nightic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
nightic..thank you for the great list. if one does have time...may i ask which are some other superior choices out of the 30 shops you visited?..

Probably leaving a few out but in no particular order here are the stores that I found most useful:

Panoptica (N10)
Schuller Opticians (WC1N)
Roger Pope (W1G)
Santro & Peche (W4)
Iris Optical (SE1)
Michel Guillon (SW1E)

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend this either. Nail polish may "mask" the problem but getting it on your lenses is a whole different discussion.

Yes, I sort of despoiled an Oliver Peoples frame that way....
blush.gif

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You probably have an acetate frame. If you go to any jewelry supply store just ask if you can use it on acetate. Just treat your glasses as a jewelry and you will be fine.
smile.gif

Some of these liquids might look like they remove the schmutz, but afterwards there's sort of a white haze created. Phooey on it!
frown.gif

yodawg

Reaction score
I'm assuming you are talking about RX lenses. The lenses are fading. If they changed that much in color I am assuming you got a high index material. The color will not go back to the original color. You can get them re-tinted but all the small scratches and pits will become MORE apparent. You probably asked for a grey-green or a chocolate color. In any case, have them re-tint it or get new lenses. The UV has "killed" your lenses.

yes i think so rx lenses. i've had them for just a month and barely use them so not really damage but just a weird change in color. i did ask for grey green. maybe i should leave them out in the sun since i liked the change much better. can you get a grey green zeiss or any other good brand they just cut and put into your sunglasses? i'm not fond of the results of tinting.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yodawg
yes i think so rx lenses. i've had them for just a month and barely use them so not really damage but just a weird change in color. i did ask for grey green. maybe i should leave them out in the sun since i liked the change much better. can you get a grey green zeiss or any other good brand they just cut and put into your sunglasses? i'm not fond of the results of tinting.

I'm not sure if Zeiss does it but I know Nikon does it for sure. I am almost certain that they will tint it in the same way but their quality control will be much stricter.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Some of these liquids might look like they remove the schmutz, but afterwards there's sort of a white haze created. Phooey on it!
frown.gif

That white compound you can remove with a clean rag. Using the polish wheel is how they do it from the factory. It requires a bit of skill with the wheel.

yodawg

Reaction score
hey cc, thanks for the tip on nikon lenses. they seem reasonable. here's hoping they come back great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads