• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you fear death?

skywalker

Reaction score
1. What are everyone's beliefs about what happens when you die?
2. Do you fear death?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Death is certain, so it doesn't bother me.

Gewehr

Reaction score
Kinda
My firm belief is I'm going to heaven (serious)
But sometimes I wonder, what if once you die that's it? As in, the lights turn off and you stop existing.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, for I am in Elysium, and I am already dead.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gewehr
But sometimes I wonder, what if once you die that's it? As in, the lights turn off and you stop existing.

Good news and bad news.

Bad news: that's precisely what will happen.

Good news: you won't exist anymore, nor will your consciousness, so you will not have to sit around for all eternity and ponder your nonexistence. You won't be, ergo, your mind won't be. I know it's daunting to contemplate sitting on the proverbial sidelines of all existence for eternity. But you won't be around to dwell on it, to care about it, or to be aware of it.

Does a rock get bored with being a rock? Does a piece of lumber contemplate the tree from which it came? Once you're dead, your mind will cease to exist, and your body will be no more special or alive than the rock or the wood.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

To AB's point, you are no longer conscious after death, so it doesn't really matter. So in that respect I am not afraid.

However, I think the true measure of how okay you are with death is how you react in perceived near-death situations. For example, I've been on a lot of planes but in the handful of cases where the turbulence was really out-of-this-world bad, my heart still skips a beat and I feel nervous. If I was truly at peace with death I think this would not happen.

I also fear reaching death not having done the things I want to do and having lived life on someone else's terms.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Sometimes when I see a car coming at me, or a really big wave, or a shark.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really. I want to go out with a bang.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't fear it at all. I think I would prefer it not be painful.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I fear physical and mental deterioration more than death.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
the thing that calms my fears about the eternity after death is when i remember that the eternity before my birth doesn't really bother me at all.

photoguy

Reaction score
I don't fear death, but I do fear the concept of an incomplete life. That fear keeps me motivated.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nah he doesn't look so scary. Plus, I'm pretty good at board games.

billted3.jpg

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not much. I hope I die when I'm very old, in the best health I could be in, in my very comfortable bed while sleeping.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads