• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What can Kobe/Lebron do to surpass Jordan?

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible?

Harder for Kobe being in the twilight of his career, but is there any achievement he can acquire to make people think otherwise or is it too late?

How about Lebron? Would 8 rings get him there or has joining Wade/Bosh ruined his chances forever?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kobe - 2 more rings, with 2-3 more postseasons of 3-4 game-winners and "epic games" in each. Winning is not enough. You need to write a whole novel of epic finishes and dominant performances on the biggest stage.

That's the thing about Jordan - when he had the ball, you just knew the Bulls were gonna win.

Benzito

Reaction score
The thing about Jordan is that he arguably changed the entire dynamic of the game. Compare him to other great players like Dr. J, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson - Jordan was still considered a truly spectacular player that had no equal.

I think LeBron's problem, if you call it that, is that he moved to a team with one or two players that some can argue are at least in the same league of talent, so he's going to have to share the spotlight with others. ****, that hasn't even worked for Kobe on the post-Shaq Lakers, so I don't see how LeBron will make it work in Miami.

Then again, I know nothing about basketball.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
kobe, another ring or 2.

lebron, nothing

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lebron should not be in this discussion until he has min 3 rings! Let him catch up to Bird b4 we start talking Jordan!
Kobe....2 more and he WILL have to be considered on par!
(I know...he will then have 7 and Jordan 6!)

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scary to think Kobe could of had 7 rings by now. I think Jordan will always be the best guard, but as far as a closer... I would take Kobe. Bryant has been more of an assassin than Jordan ever was.

And if it wasn't for that choke artist Malone... Jordan would only have 5 rings. The Jazz should of beating the Bulls in their last run.

ppjjmm

Reaction score
Lebron cannot enter these discussions anymore, he no longer qualifies.

Kobe will never really reach Jordan status but a couple more rings wouldn't hurt.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Lebron won 6 rings with what the Cavs had, he'd be the greatest of all time no questions asked. Now he's on a team with a current top 3 PLAYER and a top 5 forward. It might still be HIS team, but like someone said, he's sharing the spotlight. I don't think there's anything he can do unless the NBA landscape changes dramatically.

Same with Kobe for the first 3 rings, we all know Shaq was the main guy. It's a little bit too late for him, but if he wins two more being the top dog maybe he can join the conversation.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
If Lebron won 6 rings with what the Cavs had, he'd be the greatest of all time no questions asked. Now he's on a team with a current top 3 PLAYER and a top 5 forward. It might still be HIS team, but like someone said, he's sharing the spotlight. I don't think there's anything he can do unless the NBA landscape changes dramatically.

Same with Kobe for the first 3 rings, we all know Shaq was the main guy. It's a little bit too late for him, but if he wins two more being the top dog maybe he can join the conversation.

Right...

It's not like Jordan had any legit all stars and a HOF on his teams.
rolleyes.gif

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Scary to think Kobe could of had 7 rings by now. I think Jordan will always be the best guard, but as far as a closer... I would take Kobe.

Are you kidding me? MJ would make Kobe cry. Closer???

Also, if you want to conjecture that Kobe "could have" had 7 rings by now, then Jordan "could have" even more easily had 10 rings (2 during the gap, 1 more if he didn't retire again).

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm a Laker fan and I'll say that Kobe will never "pass" Jordan. Jordan was more dominant, by far. Kobe might end up with a more impressive career, due to longevity and starting at 17, but he wasn't at the same level. Kobe absolutely maxed out his potential, developed all of his skills and fully exploited his talents, but he wasn't as physically gifted as Jordan v. the League. If Kobe had Vince Carter's body and explosion with his own mind and attitude, he could have surpassed Jordan.

Lebron could pass Jordan if he lives up to his potential. He's such a freak - he has Magic's skill set with Karl Malone's body. Not sure if he has the the right mindset to reach his full potential.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Are you kidding me? MJ would make Kobe cry. Closer???

Also, if you want to conjecture that Kobe "could have" had 7 rings by now, then Jordan "could have" even more easily had 10 rings (2 during the gap, 1 more if he didn't retire again).

Bullshit! How many game winning shots did Jordan even have during his career? Also as great as Jordan was we never saw what would of happened against a truly great center like the dream. And Ewing and young Shaq don't count.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Kobe wins 3 rings, and in the last 2 rings, he defeats Lebron, Wade, Bosh. I think no question, he's better than Jordan.

Lebron, 10 in a row.

animeman05

Reaction score
Neither can do anything. Fact is Jordan was a perfect 6 of 6 in the NBA Finals which is better than Kobe's 5 of 7 or Lebron's 0. Also, Jordan always had a way of stepping his game up in the postseason while Kobe allowed Derrick Fisher to basically singlehandedly win a Finals game last season.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently saw the Jordan trailer for NBA 2K11 and it brought back childhood memories of watching Jordan play. He really was the greatest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads