• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York trip - How to Spend It?

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bombers
Not to hijack the thread, but how much do you guys personally spend when you go to NY and how long do you stay?

Not to sound cliche but i think there is a NY for everybody

Regular hotel or four seasons?
Chicken and rice or Per Se?
Uniqlo or Bergdorf?
Rear mezzanine or Front orchestra?

On a side note, the $20 entrance fee at the Met is recommened. If you are shameless like me you can get in for a dollar.

Also, for the OP, check out a jazz club like birdland or bluenote. My new favorite is Jazz at lincoln center. Woody allen and his band plays at the carlyle hotel on monday nights, the cover is a little more expensive tho.

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
God this makes me want to take a trip to NYC...I so need a break from Kansas City...

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Burger Joint in the Parker Meridien FTW

Five Guys > Burger Joint imho. No comment on Shake Shake. Corner Bistro was mediocre in my single sampling. Might have been the one time experience, others continue to rave about the food.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy
Not to sound cliche but i think there is a NY for everybody

Regular hotel or four seasons?
Chicken and rice or Per Se?
Uniqlo or Bergdorf?
Rear mezzanine or Front orchestra?

On a side note, the $20 entrance fee at the Met is recommened. If you are shameless like me you can get in for a dollar.

Also, for the OP, check out a jazz club like birdland or bluenote. My new favorite is Jazz at lincoln center. Woody allen and his band plays at the carlyle hotel on monday nights, the cover is a little more expensive tho.

100%

poissa

Reaction score
If you want to be a baller, Nobu has great Kobe and sushi. Check it out, it makes me a happy man. Aside from having to do push-ups after dinner, that is another story ;p

ville_e

Reaction score
Any more last minute suggestions? Leaving tomorrow. Thanks for all your contributions. Will be sure to try to check the places you recommended.

bcbg

Reaction score
Don't touch Nobu. It has become like the Cheesecake Factory, wan and mediocre, good only for those coming for middle America. Go to Sushi Yasuda if you care about these things. There is abundant good Japanese food in NY, but Nobu features none of it. If you want inexpensive try either Ippudo (fantastic ramen featuring a stunning broth) or Robataya (very fresh grilled bites).

Originally Posted by poissa
If you want to be a baller, Nobu has great Kobe and sushi. Check it out, it makes me a happy man. Aside from having to do push-ups after dinner, that is another story ;p

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kissluo
Those are bad recommendations in my opinion. If you are really staying to the fifth ave area you are limiting yourself。

What are bad recommendations??

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, if you have the time...check out Larry Flynt's Hustlers on the West Side.

iyorito

Reaction score
J.Press 3 day Sale
27, 28, 29 Oct
11h00-18h00
530 7th Ave, 29th Fl
212 997 3600

70%off, 90%~95% off on some items

ville_e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iyorito;3720511 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              3720511      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
J.Press 3 day Sale
27, 28, 29 Oct
11h00-18h00
530 7th Ave, 29th Fl
212 997 3600

70%off, 90%~95% off on some items

wow thanks. Have to check it out!
smile.gif

photoguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcbg
Don't touch Nobu. It has become like the Cheesecake Factory, wan and mediocre, good only for those coming for middle America. Go to Sushi Yasuda if you care about these things. There is abundant good Japanese food in NY, but Nobu features none of it. If you want inexpensive try either Ippudo (fantastic ramen featuring a stunning broth) or Robataya (very fresh grilled bites).

+1

(IMO, there are better places in the city than Robata for the same general kind of food, but they are generally more expensive and a little less user-friendly.)

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume the Epaulet pop-op will be gone by Nov 5? Thats when I'm coming and Im staying two blocks away! Maybe they will have an encore stay.

Yet123

Reaction score
Megu in Tribeca or midtown for Kobe beef
Sushi Yasuda for great sushi
JoJo is great, not as expensive as some of Jean Georges other restaurants

photoguy

Reaction score
Can't agree with JoJo. There are much better bistros in the city.

IMO JG only has one really good restaurant. The others ride on his name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads