• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zegna Saks 5th Ave question

dankap911

Reaction score
Question...Was in Off 5th today and noticed a Saks 5th Ave suit with a sleeve tag that said "Cloth by ermenegildo zegna"...i think it means that Saks makes the Suit using Zegna fabric...is that correct? so its not a true Zegna suit? it was marked down from $1299 to $699...is it a decent deal?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember Off 5th had a whole bunch of suits with Zegna fabric. Not worth it at that price, especially if you can get a real Zegna for less.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I'm in a similar dilemma.. Been looking for a navy suit in a 36S. Very very difficult to come by. I was in the neighborhood and visited an Off Saks today and saw one of these "Fabric by Zegna" Saks-branded suits. Seemed fully canvassed to me (or at least half canvassed, I didn't actually test the very bottom of the coat). $699 - 40% = 419.40 for the suit. Worth it or not?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
So, I'm in a similar dilemma..

Been looking for a navy suit in a 36S. Very very difficult to come by. I was in the neighborhood and visited an Off Saks today and saw one of these "Fabric by Zegna" Saks-branded suits. Seemed fully canvassed to me (or at least half canvassed, I didn't actually test the very bottom of the coat). $699 - 40% = 419.40 for the suit. Worth it or not?

Yes. You seem to have a size that is difficult to obtain. Did you like the style and fit?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Yes. You seem to have a size that is difficult to obtain. Did you like the style and fit?
The coat had a decent fit, but I wasn't dressed up enough (was just in casual attire) to get a true feeling of it. Didn't take a good look at the pants, though.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I vote no. Was it a Borgioli (sp?)? If so, Ive got some of those for $150 at final clearance.
From the tags that I saw, it was the Saks house brand. I can definitely double-check, though. I'm not too sure what the difference between the two is.

zizou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I vote no. Was it a Borgioli (sp?)? If so, Ive got some of those for $150 at final clearance.

are you referring to bagliani, the mexican brand? i've seen a few of those with "made by zegna" labels at off 5th stores a few years ago.

JensenH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zizou
are you referring to bagliani, the mexican brand? i've seen a few of those with "made by zegna" labels at off 5th stores a few years ago.

No. Boglioli is an Italian company that makes suits and sport coats. They make suits for Etro.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The coat had a decent fit, but I wasn't dressed up enough (was just in casual attire) to get a true feeling of it. Didn't take a good look at the pants, though.

up to you man. I'm a 36s too so I feel your pain. the conclusion I've come to is this, I want to look and feel great when I wear a suit. "decent fit" isn't good enough in my books. Instead of $700, I'd rather pay $1000 if I have to and get something I love. Meaning for guys like us, we probably have to just pay closer to full retail because when you find something you love, get it and enjoy it. Waiting around until final clearance is very unlikely. Best case is the first round of price drops.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zizou
Just to be clear, the label I saw was "Cloth by Ermenegildo Zegna", not one of the "____ for Saks" kidns of labels.

Originally Posted by JensenH
No. Boglioli is an Italian company that makes suits and sport coats. They make suits for Etro.
Are they any good?

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
up to you man. I'm a 36s too so I feel your pain. the conclusion I've come to is this, I want to look and feel great when I wear a suit. "decent fit" isn't good enough in my books. Instead of $700, I'd rather pay $1000 if I have to and get something I love. Meaning for guys like us, we probably have to just pay closer to full retail because when you find something you love, get it and enjoy it. Waiting around until final clearance is very unlikely. Best case is the first round of price drops.
By decent I mean what you'd expect for an OTR jacket -- the shoulders and chest fit, but the thing's a damn blouse. If I were paying $700+tailoring I'd probably get a BB Fitzgerald; I'd be paying closer to $400 + tailoring for this suit as it currently stands. What brands are your suits normally?

photon1701

Reaction score
I have one that I bought in may. I have probably worn it once every two weeks since then. It was a decent buy for $400. I'm also a 36s and its tough to find a good selection. Don't pay $700 for it, ask an employee when they'll have 30-40% off. Off 5th has different sale prices just about every week.

JensenH

Reaction score
Are they any good?

I do not own any Boglioli. But there was a buying frenzy of their sport coats recently (sport coats selling for around $100 at Three Different). Those who had made the purchases could answer your question.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't recall any of those "Cloth by Ermenegildo Zegna" suits being made by Boglioli.
Boglioli is an Italian maker.
Bagliani is a Mexican maker.
Way different. I bet the labe says made in Mexico.

If it's the best deal you can find and you're a really hard size, I'd go for it. I don't recall them being bad suits, but I'd be surprised if they have a canvassed chest. I think they're fused. That doesn't automatically make them bad. Just be aware of what you're buying. If you're ok with the price and you have a tailor that knows how to make it fit you, then you're probably fine.

While you're looking for suits in 36S, take a look at this. I don't know how long a 36S is supposed to be, but the size chart makes it look like the coats with the Howard Yount suits are short. I'd start getting together your small-sized bretheren and lobby Jamison to have the next HY suit be a blue wool. He might be persuaded if he knows he's got a batch pre-sold (Or he might just think I'm a jackass for suggesting to people that he'd like input on his offerings). His suits for $600 (or at least this one) looks like a helluva lot of suit for the $.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JensenH
I do not own any Boglioli. But there was a buying frenzy of their sport coats recently (sport coats selling for around $100 at Three Different). Those who had made the purchases could answer your question.

Boglioli Coat is a lower level line, iirc. Boglioli by itself is a good brand. I own one suit and it's magnificent (for being appx. $300, that is) I'd say it's definitely worth $500 at the store if it fits well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads