• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend some Classical music recordings for me

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
alexis weissenberg doing rachmaninov's preludes is amazing.

fing02[1].gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
OMG. I'm listening to the same thing too. Not many complete suites, and the only other complete version I have is the Charles Mackerras one on Telarc. This is some of Tchaikovsky's best music.

--Andre

Funny, I never seem to think all that much about Tchaikovsky until I'm listing to something of his and then I remember how much I like him. The only other complete suite I have is Gergiev's single-disc, it's fine when I need a fix and don't want to fumble with multiple discs, but otherwise not really my thing. I have Ormandy's highlights but never could find a complete suite under his baton.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
fing02[1].gif

my favorite recording of the preludes.

will add to the list:

-Rubinstein & Heifetz playing Franck, Poulenc, Faure, and Albeniz
-Gershwin plays Gershwin

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
alexis weissenberg doing rachmaninov's preludes is amazing.

Andrei Gavrilov and Sviatoslav Richter are the two I turn to for the preludes. Nothing about Weissenberg's playing ever really impressed me, but maybe I'm just listening to the wrong recordings. I never thought much of Zoltan Kocsis until I heard his recording of Rachmaninov's 2nd sonata. I've heard maybe 15 versions of it -- Horowitz, Ashkenazy, Weissenberg, Grimaud, Wild, Sudbin, Kempff, Lang Freakin' Lang, etc. -- and his is easily my favorite.

If you can ever get your hands on Vladimir Sofronitzky playing Scriabin or Beethoven, I highly recommend it. His playing tends to be a little violent, but in a musical way. He's not Lang Lang.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as complete recordings of the preludes, Weissenberg and Ogdon are tops for me. Of course, there are individual performances that certainly stand out (Richter, Gilels, Horowitz, Sofronitsky, etc.)
BIG Sofronitsky fan, although he's uneven, but when he was inspired...watch out.

You might try checking out the Rach 1st sonata (which I prefer, even though it's far more diffuse) recorded by Weissenberg or Ogdon, since you love the 2nd sonata (I have several bootleg Horowitz performances which are out of this world). Kocsis is a phenomenal pianist, I particularly love his Liszt and Bartok.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
As far as complete recordings of the preludes, Weissenberg and Ogdon are tops for me. Of course, there are individual performances that certainly stand out (Richter, Gilels, Horowitz, Sofronitsky, etc.)
BIG Sofronitsky fan, although he's uneven, but when he was inspired...watch out.

You might try checking out the Rach 1st sonata (which I prefer, even though it's far more diffuse) recorded by Weissenberg or Ogdon, since you love the 2nd sonata (I have several bootleg Horowitz performances which are out of this world). Kocsis is a phenomenal pianist, I particularly love his Liszt and Bartok.

I've read good things about Ogdon. I'll check him out.

Grigory Sokolov's another great Russian pianist who's worth a listen. Actually that's an undersell. Definitely listen to his Prokofiev "war sonata" recordings, even better if they're live performances.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Thomas
For my money, one of the best classical music purchases I ever made was the

Beethoven 9 Symphonies box set with Herbert von Karajan conducting.

I know a lot of people frown on Karajan's conducting thinking he was too much of a playboy and showboater, but I think the pieces he conducted are stunning.

I prefer Karajan on video, but for unintentional comedy purposes. Eye contact, Herbert. Make eye contact with your orchestra.

Gunter Wand conducting the Beethoven 9th -- take your pick among the handful he recorded -- remains the standard in my book.

highfalutin

Reaction score
Can someone please recommend a recording of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata? I tried a disc played by Earl Wild which others seem to like, but I found it too unemotional. I want to hear some feeling.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by highfalutin
Can someone please recommend a recording of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata? I tried a disc played by Earl Wild which others seem to like, but I found it too unemotional. I want to hear some feeling.

You might be surprised -- at least I was -- but I kind of liked Evgeny Kissin playing Moonlight Sonata. It's a little pedal-heavy, but might be what you're looking for.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FiveFiveFive
You might be surprised -- at least I was -- but I kind of liked Evgeny Kissin playing Moonlight Sonata. It's a little pedal-heavy, but might be what you're looking for.

Lulz. If you follow the score, the pedal is meant to be depressed the whole time through the first movement, but that's because pianos in Beethoven's time didn't have the sustain modern pianos do.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by highfalutin

For some reason I'm stuck on Horowitz's recording of Moonlight / Appasionata / Waldstein.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Lulz. If you follow the score, the pedal is meant to be depressed the whole time through the first movement, but that's because pianos in Beethoven's time didn't have the sustain modern pianos do.

So you liked Kissin's recording? You didn't like it?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FiveFiveFive
So you liked Kissin's recording? You didn't like it?

I'm not offering an opinion on any performance, merely noting that a performance that is faithful to the score would be incredibly pedal-heavy.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I'm not offering an opinion on any performance, merely noting that a performance that is faithful to the score would be incredibly pedal-heavy.

There are spots where Beethoven specifically asks for the pedal not to be used, and Kissin does. I'm not referring to that, though. It's possible to adhere to the score and use the pedal improperly. Again, that doesn't bother me in this case. I actually like it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads