• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stamper1924

Reaction score
Some photos of my recently acquired Plaza Indy boot from LS. I thought it was an interesting variation on the Indy boot and I love the commando sole and it's very comfortable right out of the box.

image0001-21.jpg

image0002-19.jpg

image0003-19.jpg

image0004-14.jpg

image0005-10.jpg

image0001-20.jpg

image0003-18.jpg

I also noticed I'm not alone in my appreciation for Alden and Panerai.
smile.gif
Here's my PAM 90 on a Toshi strap.

image0006-6.jpg

image0007-4.jpg

joz411no

Reaction score
Does anyone know how close the tan on the Plaza Indy is to the tan vegano (Plaza Extra Perf Wingtips)? The photos shown above make tan calf look on the orange-brown (literally tan) side and on the Leather Soul site the pictures always come out a little bluer. Any ideas?

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joz411no
Does anyone know how close the tan on the Plaza Indy is to the tan vegano (Plaza Extra Perf Wingtips)? The photos shown above make tan calf look on the orange-brown (literally tan) side and on the Leather Soul site the pictures always come out a little bluer. Any ideas?
As discussed a couple of pages back, I believe that the tan calf Alden uses goes by several names (e.g. tan vegano, burnished tan, etc.), but they're all the same leather. Any difference in colour seen in the photos can be attributed to lighting, camera, monitor, etc. The photos of the tan vegano boots I posted look browner/less orange than Mr. Moo's photos, but that's strictly due to lighting. Under sunlight, mine look more orange like the photos of the Plaza Indy's. I suspect that the extra perf wingtips from LS are made using the same tan calf as the aforementioned boots.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
As discussed a couple of pages back, I believe that the tan calf Alden uses goes by several names (e.g. tan vegano, burnished tan, etc.), but they're all the same leather.

Any difference in colour seen in the photos can be attributed to lighting, camera, monitor, etc. The photos of the tan vegano boots I posted look browner/less orange than Mr. Moo's photos, but that's strictly due to lighting. Under sunlight, mine look more orange like the photos of the Plaza Indy's.

I suspect that the extra perf wingtips from LS are made using the same tan calf as the aforementioned boots.

Not true. The Plaza Indys are made with the Burnished Tan color found on many stock models. Tan Vegano is a different leather. They're pretty similar in color but the texture of Vegano is much more supple and soft in my opinion. The Extra Perf Wingtips were made with Vegano and so was the "Chestnut" and navy Saddle Shoes.

joz411no

Reaction score
Thanks Tom,

I'm trying to avoid, at all cost, that leather with the "painted on" color. I'm not certain what Alden calls that but I'm not a fan. My problem is almost all of my Aldens are special-orders and I don't really have a point of reference until I receive them, unfortunately. What leather is that painted leather called?

PeterParker

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that Tom. I had inquired about the differences a couple times earlier in the thread but received no response.

The pictures of the Plaza Indy look nearly identical in colour to my vegano tan boots and had me convinced they were the same leather; however, I have not handled the burnished tan leather so I was wrong to assume they were the same. The vegano tan calf leather is supple indeed.

nickmb

Reaction score
i usually wear a size 10 in shoes. aldens i wear a 9.5 b/d.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
Thanks for clarifying that Tom. I had inquired about the differences a couple times earlier in the thread but received no response.

The pictures of the Plaza Indy look nearly identical in colour to my vegano tan boots and had me convinced they were the same leather; however, I have not handled the burnished tan leather so I was wrong to assume they were the same. The vegano tan calf leather is supple indeed.

The new Burnished Tan that Alden is using is very nice. It's got great color depth and has that dark in the crevices kind of finish. It's not the old "painted on" type like some of the older ones.

pvpatty

Reaction score
Quick question: What is the size difference between Aldens and C&Js? I take a 9.5E UK C&J - Should I go for a 10.5 Alden?

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nickmb
i usually wear a size 10 in shoes. aldens i wear a 9.5 b/d.
Welcome nickmb.
smile.gif
Your Alden sizing should depend on the last. My Alden size in the Barrie last is different than my Alden size in the Plaza last.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvpatty
Quick question: What is the size difference between Aldens and C&Js? I take a 9.5E UK C&J - Should I go for a 10.5 Alden?
Hey bro. OK, this is a difficult quaestion becuase not only does Alden use different lasts but I believe C&J has different lasts as well so that complicates the conversion a lot.

You would be better off comparing the shoes to your main line shoe sizing like Nike or such.

I only have one pair of C&J, the Darlton Wingtip from Ralph Lauren, and though I wear the shoe a lot and I love it the sizing is not the best. I usually wear a 10.5 and I tried both the 10.5 and the 10. The 10 fit like a glove but I felt would have been too constricting all day. The 10.5 is a little loose but I do not notice it when I am wearing them. Not all lasts work for everyone.

If you find a shoe then the retailer, Leather Soul or whatnot, would be more than happy to work with you to get the correct sizing.

Good luck.
fing02[1].gif

kanukki

Reaction score
To revive the natural chromexcel discussion... I'm considering going for Leffot's natural longwings (http://blog.leffot.com/reserve-orders/). One thing I can't quite figure out is why the Indy and PTB leather looks quite smooth and buttery (http://blog.leffot.com/wp-content/up.../DSC_0050.jpg), but the longwing appears rather rough (http://blog.leffot.com/wp-content/up...7/DSC_0033.jpg) in the photos. Can Jason or someone else who has seen these in person comment? Are there differences in the characteristics of the leather in these models, or is it down to the resolution or lighting in the pictures? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads