• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Obvious as in Roscoes? They're good but I was hoping some of you guys might know of something better or just as good that is worth trying.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Angotei is a good sushi spot in OC in front of Mitsuwa (japanese supermarket). Not as many breezys as your trendy l.a. spots though, jet. Also on bristol & paularino.

Santouka was pretty good for ramen. Daikokuya hasn't been as good lately. The only spot left I really like is Foo Foo Tei in Hacienda Heights.

bbaraque

Reaction score
I used to go to Pita Kitchen and thought it was good for what it was - cheap and decent shawarma and such. I don't know much about Middle Eastern food, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't saying that is the best Middle Eastern place akin to saying a good burger/hot dog joint is the best American place or a good yakiniku place is the best Japanese place?
Originally Posted by whodini
The empanadas aren't bad but they're not Chilean/Argentine, both of which are entirely different.
I don't know what place you were commenting on, whodini, but what are your thoughts on Empanada's Place in Culver City? I always liked their empanadas and pastry things.
Originally Posted by RFX45
Obvious as in Roscoes? They're good but I was hoping some of you guys might know of something better or just as good that is worth trying.
I like Knott's Berry Farm Chicken.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaraque
I like Knott's Berry Farm Chicken.

Really? It is rare for me to find something good to eat at a theme park.

I like Dinah's Fried Chicken, too.

Will check it out. Thanks.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
PG2G and I were talking about fried chicken a few weeks ago. He went to some hyped placed out in SaMo that only made theirs every Friday. Apparently, that was overrated. I haven't been to Dinah's in ages but I thought that was pretty up there for low-brow fried chicken.

Of course, I'd eat at Kyochon over any of this any day of the week.

bbaraque

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Really? It is rare for me to find something good to eat at a theme park.

Technically it's not in the theme park but in that gift store/annex area next to the park. Mrs. Knott's Chicken Restaurant is the name, I think. I wouldn't go far out of my way, but I think it fits in with the Roscoe's/Dinah's category for fried chicken.

And if you end up hating it, at least there's a Portillo's down the street.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I lived in the hills above Vine, I used to be a regular at Atch Kotch, which is the same center as La Floridita. I wondered about that place but never went in. Is that that place that seems like a nightclub some nights?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaraque
I don't know what place you were commenting on, whodini, but what are your thoughts on Empanada's Place in Culver City? I always liked their empanadas and pastry things.
I was talking about Porto's. My family would routinely pick up empanadas from them, and they were good, but it was definitely their take on it. I haven't been to Empanada's Place but just looking at the photos it looks like the crust is right for Argentine. Hard to explain the texture, but it shouldn't be a pastry and it shouldn't be thick the way Chileans do it. Carlitos Gardel on Melrose also had good empanadas.

If you're curious to try a Chilean empanada, Rincon Chileno on Melrose is a good start. I also know a bakery or two owned by Chileans but unfortunately since empanadas aren't exactly a hot-ticket item for them, they don't make them. Unfortunate.
Originally Posted by Baron
When I lived in the hills above Vine, I used to be a regular at Atch Kotch, which is the same center as La Floridita. I wondered about that place but never went in. Is that that place that seems like a nightclub some nights?

Yup, that's the place. Dancefloor right in the middle of the dining room. Give it a shot some time.

ThomSquared

Reaction score
Although it's a bit on the low brow and in kind of a seedy area I would hit up Pann's Restaurant (of Pulp Fiction fame) off of La Tijera in Inglewood for some really good Fried Chicken, also try Honey's Kettle Fried Chicken in Culver City, their fried chicken and biscuits are ridiculous.

Regarding Empanadas, if your in the LA area on a Saturday afternoon, hit up the Silverlake Farmer's Market off of Sunset and go see the older Argentinian gentleman selling empanadas there with his wife, forget dude's name but those empanadas are to die for and about as authentic as you can get.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Yeah, I looked up Honey's and definitely want to try it next time I'm in town.

I wonder if that's the same guy who used to own the Argentine market/deli on Sunset and Lucille years ago. It'd make sense if he stuck around the hood.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThomSquared
Although it's a bit on the low brow and in kind of a seedy area I would hit up Pann's Restaurant (of Pulp Fiction fame) off of La Tijera in Inglewood for some really good Fried Chicken, also try Honey's Kettle Fried Chicken in Culver City, their fried chicken and biscuits are ridiculous.

Regarding Empanadas, if your in the LA area on a Saturday afternoon, hit up the Silverlake Farmer's Market off of Sunset and go see the older Argentinian gentleman selling empanadas there with his wife, forget dude's name but those empanadas are to die for and about as authentic as you can get.

this sounds legit

ThomSquared

Reaction score
Yeah, I looked up Honey's and definitely want to try it next time I'm in town. I wonder if that's the same guy who used to own the Argentine market/deli on Sunset and Lucille years ago. It'd make sense if he stuck around the hood.
If you want to relive all of that nostalgic chicken and waffles mumbo jumbo I can guarantee that Honey's hot cakes and fried chicken ****'s all over that dump Roscoe's. Also after a little extensive empanada research, I found homeboy from the farmer's market... http://www.robertinocucina.com/robertino/?ref=none Apparently he's a personal chef and instructor full time and slang's those lovely little meat filled creations on the side at the market on Saturday's. Don't know if he previously owned anything though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads