• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
For a dude that knows every place in LA, you picked Pita Kitchen for Middle Eastern. I think that says enough right there. You even made jet cry from laughing so hard.

There isn't a single place in LA that has "the best" Cuban, but the masitas at El Floridita are phenomenal. The ironic part about Cuban food is that it's not "Cuban," it's Miami food. No Cuban actually in Cuba eats like that and hasn't in years. (Of course, now we get to hear how you've traveled throughout Cuba, too, so that you can contradict any of the places that I've been to there.)

You either troll hard or you're just that incompetent (or both) if you can't understand that racial background or where you were raised has any correlation to taste in food. But then everyone else who reads your recommendations has already picked up on this.

Please Respond

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
For a dude that knows every place in LA, you picked Pita Kitchen for Middle Eastern. I think that says enough right there. You even made jet cry from laughing so hard. There isn't a single place in LA that has "the best" Cuban, but the masitas at El Floridita are phenomenal. The ironic part about Cuban food is that it's not "Cuban," it's Miami food. No Cuban actually in Cuba eats like that and hasn't in years. (Of course, now we get to hear how you've traveled throughout Cuba, too, so that you can contradict any of the places that I've been to there.) You either troll hard or you're just that incompetent (or both) if you can't understand that racial background or where you were raised has any correlation to taste in food. But then everyone else who reads your recommendations has already picked up on this.
Wow, you really are a ******* moron. But let's just be specific. Yes, Cuban food is really MIAMI food but it's the food that the CUBAN immigrants and decedents in MIAMI eat themselves and make in their restaurants. And for that matter, the same goes for just about ALL ethnic foods you HORSE ASS. You think the Chinese Food you get at Panda Express is what people eat in the deep provinces? Or for that matter, you think what the Chinese people eat in Alhambra/Monterey Park is the same as what the Chinese people eat in China? Of course not. Why? Different regions have different live stock, different vegetables and access to different spices. Holy **** you're stupid. Every ethnic food in America has been somehow transformed from it's original incarnation. Matter of fact, even the Chinese food in China or the Cuban food in Cuba or the Mexican food in Mexico has different variations from region to region.. But thanks for the food lesson. Next, Jet is from LA. Granted he may be Persian... Ohhhhhh... Does that mean he has a monopoly on the opinions of Middle Eastern Food? Is he even born in Iran? How long as he lived in the states for? Cause I have lots of Middle Eastern friends that LOVE Pita Kitchen. Also, based on your argument, I guess I'm one of the few qualified on the board to rate Jewish Deli. Now you might ask me, where is the best Middle Eastern I've ever eaten in my life and I could tell you, it's in a ******, little, old spot in NYC called Mamouns. They make the best Falaffel and Schwarma I've ever eaten. Is it fancy? NO. Is it expensive? NO. Is it exotic? NO. See that's the difference between me and people who were born and bred in LA. I'm used to going to small, ethnic, family owned restaurants and enjoying it 10x more than the bullshit, LA trendy spots. Jet's opinions on my food choices are really quite moot cause I've yet to find anyone from LA that understands food the way a New Yorker does. Jet has made some interesting and good choices and some that I'm not familiar with and plan to check out... But just cause he's Persian and from LA doesn't mean he is the authority on Middle Eastern food. But again, you must be right and I must be wrong cause clearly I know nothing of food. Thank you, come again.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
YouMad.jpg
Go back to your turntables, Macy's parties, and Hugo Boss jackets. Leave the food discussion to the grownups. Thanks.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best single thing I've had in L.A. are the bacon-wrapped dates from AOC. Everything else there was also fantastic. Brioche with prosciutto, gruyere and egg. Hanger steak, roasted shallots, red wine butter. Market fish is good.

Hopefully Julienne's will change my mind.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
What I'm trying to figure out is why du is mad and attacking everyone in a food thread.

Yes I was born in Iran btw and my mother's cooking ***** on everything found in restaurants. I don't eat at "mediterranean" food is such a generic term like "asian" food. Persian cuisine is at the top of that hierarchy, I don't eat any other middle eastern type of food btw.

Not sure I want to eat at some place called pita kitchen then again why am I going to pay for a mediocre version of something I can call up my mom and have her make?

Just because you're from ny doesn't mean you're an authority on food buddy.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You Bahá'í Jetpup?

There is a big Bahá'í community in Brisbane.

Please Respond

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
YouMad.jpg

Go back to your turntables, Macy's parties, and Hugo Boss jackets. Leave the food discussion to the grownups. Thanks.

Ohh, I see, you think I'm a career DJ. Nope, sorry, I just do that **** for fun. It's fun and the ladies love it. But guess you didn't know that DJ's are the rock stars of 2010.
As far as the Macy's party.. You're so stupid is ceases to amaze me. You might want to look up, Glamorama. I'm sure I'll see you at the next one
wink.gif

My Hugo Boss Jacket is awesome! Thanks. (Granted that other faux one is a *************, but I still like it.)

Lastly, when do you want to get into a conversation about cars and watches? Bring it, *****.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pita Kitchen for Middle Eastern had me rolling. Thanks to whoever.
laugh.gif
Versailles is good food. Not sure if that's authentic Cuban. Their ox tail is phenomenal. Combo that with the mango drink and it's gfg. Their chicken ain't too bad either. +1 for Porto's Bakery. Definitely one of the best bakeries in LA. I can't think of anything you wouldn't want to try there. I always come out spending ~$50 between me and my gf. Ravioli lovers, you should hit up La Botte in Santa Monica for their filet mignon ravioli. Japanese grilled skewers, aka yakitori, gotta give it up to Nanbunkan in West LA. You gotta try their garlic lambchops and chilean seabass.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Just two dozen cheese rolls and maybe a torta for me.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
To expand a bit south too (to include Socal as a whole) I recommend two places in oc I like are john's philly girll in hb (i prefer the one on edinger and goldenwest) for the #2 pepper steak or the mushroom steak, off the chain.

Also for japanese bbq anjin on bristol and paularino is excellent. Get the #5 marbled prime rib eye (at least a few orders) and #43 fried rice (ground chicken, egg and hot sauce in the earth stone pot). This is amazing together. Beef tatake to start is a good way to open up the palate too. One of the few places in oc I will voluntarity eat.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any recommendation for a good fried chicken spot?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^other than the obvious? do you want a bougreois spot?

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does there have to be a definitive answer for THE BEST of such and such ethnic food? Everyone has different tastes and like different things. Basically this argument is like fighting over art? Its all ******* subjective.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads