• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black VS Brown Leather Jackets

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
As Paul Fussel wrote: "Only six things can be made of black leather without causing class damage to the owner: belts, shoes, handbags, gloves, camera cases, and dog leashes."

When did he write that, 1936? Not that I care about conveying "class" but Fussel, whoever he is, can ************.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
When did he write that, 1936? Not that I care about conveying "class" but Fussel, whoever he is, can ************.

here he is. obey him.

NJa7X.png

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol that's just silly. Like something I'd expect to see over on MC.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snake
lol that's just silly. Like something I'd expect to see over on MC.
It was actually true awhile back, say when Bourdieu wrote about distinction and class taste, but things pretty much moved around in the last few decades (see theory of omnivore distinction) cause of fashion designers recuperating the "menacing" biker and S&M black leather looks and upper class people subscribing to the whole "borrowing things from subculture", even (especially) working class ones. Not that we care that much here considering our (well mine) scheme of reference is mostly a fantastical, fragmented collage of disparate references taken from pop-culture, high art and runway fashions.

mfrege

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
u dumb. almost as dumb as morgan

in pointing out the dumbness of not being able to imply that a brand new brown can't be compared to worn out brown (or purposely antiqued), well, you're just an idiot.

Morgan

Reaction score
He wrote "Class: A Guide Through the American Status System" in 1983 or so. It's actually a very funny book, and full of wry insight. The chapter on clothing is just a small part of it, but that one sentence stuck in my head and the exact quotation was easily googleable.

So, in response to a special flower thread posing the question "in general what is the difference *************** and a brown leather jacket?" I say: when someone says "black leather jacket" I think bouncer, town car driver, the Nazi S.S., and Guitar Wolf. Like Fuuma says, a fantastical, fragmented collage of disparate references. Although brown leather jackets often connote either WWII bombers or early '70s hippies, the association isn't as strong and they're generally easier to pull off in any context.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think people have a very difficult time moving away from the associations of what a black or brown leather jacket has attached to it. I say ******* and make it your own.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
I think people have a very difficult time moving away from the associations of what a black or brown leather jacket has attached to it. I say ******* and make it your own.
this is the problem with mc, for some reason they are programmed by associations like lab mice not judging a piece on its own merit, they see something they like and then their brain goes nope that's the same color a hells angel wears no thanks...the implication here is that all black leather looks the same too which is an idiotic pov rye post up that black leather ps. here's an association for you mc ********** brown looks like my doodoo

Binker

Reaction score
He wrote "Class: A Guide Through the American Status System" in 1983 or so. It's actually a very funny book, and full of wry insight. The chapter on clothing is just a small part of it, but that one sentence stuck in my head and the exact quotation was easily googleable.
I read it for a class and also found it enjoyable. As you say, the tone is humorous and observational, not condemnatory.

Morgan

Reaction score

I understand what you're saying, but many stylistic choices are made precisely because a particular piece carries certain connotations. I mean, when a designer appropriates a style from biker or S&M subculture (to use Fuuma's examples), the designer isn't erasing those associations but highlighting and recontextualizing them. You can't make something your own without acknowledging that it was someone else's first.

Black leather is an aggressive, typically masculine material. This is exactly why Schott Perfectos are so badass, and why the Gestapo looked so terrifying. At the same time, this creates a higher degree of difficulty for the wearer. It makes a statement, and that statement is not "I'll meet you for gin and tonics at the club." Sure, you can use washed lamb or some other softened/wrinkled leather or whatever but then you're just highlighting the contrast between the altered material and traditional "black leather," with all that implies.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen aeglus pull off a Perfecto-type jacket in WAYWT, but it's not an easy look (I could not do it)

I hate this idea.

People posting "man i love DRs but i couldn't pull it off" wtf?

a) a DR is not the most aggressively designed thing in the world

b) Even if something is crazily designed, if you like it, it fits you well and you have the pieces to match, you can make it work.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black leather is an aggressive, typically masculine material. This is exactly why Schott Perfectos are so badass, and why the Gestapo looked so terrifying. At the same time, this creates a higher degree of difficulty for the wearer. It makes a statement, and that statement is not "I'll meet you for gin and tonics at the club." Sure, you can use washed lamb or some other softened/wrinkled leather or whatever but then you're just highlighting the contrast between the altered material and traditional "black leather," with all that implies.

Honestly you're pretty incorrect in every detail man. Schott Perfectos aren't always badass (really the puffier silhouette compared to a modern leather makes them seem kind of fogeyish to me), and the Gestapo looked so terrifying because they were going to ******* kill you, not because of their color.

I feel like at this point black leather jackets have been completely reappropriated as regular-person-wear; I don't get much of a sense of menace from something like the ToJ DR. In fact, the night-wear connotations of black leather mean that it probably is better for saying "I'll meet you for gin & tonics at the club" than a brown leather; the club in question would be short on poor submissive servants but long on waitresses wearing thongs under their skirts.

And also saying that thick black calf is the only "true" or "traditional" black leather is just incomprehensible to me.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
Honestly you're pretty incorrect in every detail man. Schott Perfectos aren't always badass (really the puffier silhouette compared to a modern leather makes them seem kind of fogeyish to me), and the Gestapo looked so terrifying because they were going to ******* kill you, not because of their color.

hard to argue with this

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads