• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
I love how almost every post gets so far off-scale that it just becomes casual conversation about nothing. You guys are all funny!!

To the OP: if you want to emulate someone with style that is close to your age, read 'The Style Blogger' who won Esquire's Best Dressed Real Man a couple of years ago. He actually knows how to dress. Be careful who you take advice from on here because many of them are old men who only wear black shoes with navy suits and think that anything else is uncivilized, AKA they are dinosaurs when it comes to style. And when it comes to wearing ties, it can be done casually if done right. But wearing one to a casual sports bar is almost never okay. Good luck!

Another excellent webiste is http://www.whatisjameswearing.com/

Example of tie worn casually from both

DSC_0066-715x1024.jpg

james_urns.jpg

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
james_urns.jpg

I know you were pointing out how well the tie looks, but he looks awful from the waist down. Men in the high 30's or low 40's don't look good in skinny jeans or high-top sneakers with with the tounge sticking up.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That shirt, tie, sneakers combo on that 2nd pic is a disaster.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
My dear fellow - where did you get this idea? Mayhap you should study here a bit longer.

I did not say 'ALL,' I said 'MANY.' And I stand by that statement. I read a lot on here and while yes, there is some good advice, there is also a lot of very bad advice from regulars on here. Not trying to offend, just stating my opinion for the young guy looking for good advice. If one is not sure of what to do, it's hard to sift through all of the answers one might get from starting a thread. Go back and re-read all of the answers in this thread and if you think he could clearly get an idea of what to do, then you must be a magician. It's easy for people to tell him their opinions and him get bombarded by different ideas, it's easier to just go to a style blog that has it all laid out in pictures.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought The Style Blogger is meant to be a parody. After all, who gets dressed up and strikes poses like that in public. No?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Esquire's BDRM is not a sharp Esquire guy, then who is ? And James is just James ....

Saltricks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
I always thought The Style Blogger is meant to be a parody. After all, who gets dressed up and strikes poses like that in public. No?

That's like learning ballet in order to make fun of the "fairies" at school.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
So, I met some friends at a local bar recently. I wore navy Mabitex houndstooth pants, a white Oxford, a blue blazer (no tie), and bluchers. Yes, I was dressed better than anyone in this casual sports bar.
There's nothing wrong with baggy pants. Imagine trying to do this in eyetalian nut huggers. The results would be embarrassing.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes
I did not say 'ALL,' I said 'MANY.' And I stand by that statement. I read a lot on here and while yes, there is some good advice, there is also a lot of very bad advice from regulars on here. Not trying to offend, just stating my opinion for the young guy looking for good advice. If one is not sure of what to do, it's hard to sift through all of the answers one might get from starting a thread. Go back and re-read all of the answers in this thread and if you think he could clearly get an idea of what to do, then you must be a magician. It's easy for people to tell him their opinions and him get bombarded by different ideas, it's easier to just go to a style blog that has it all laid out in pictures.

Good post. I often chuckle when some hapless soulncomes to this forum with questions like 'should I tuck or not tuck?' or 'should I get centre or side vents (or no vents)?' or 'should I wear black shoes or brown with a blue suit?' or the dreaded 'which is better, Alden or AE?'.

The polarised responses must be so bewildering to a style noob that I wonder if any of them come away any the wiser or just even more confused.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Good post. I often chuckle when some hapless soulncomes to this forum with questions like 'should I tuck or not tuck?' or 'should I get centre or side vents (or no vents)?' or 'should I wear black shoes or brown with a blue suit?' or the dreaded 'which is better, Alden or AE?'.

The polarised responses must be so bewildering to a style noob that I wonder if any of them come away any the wiser or just even more confused.

Ianiceman, that reminded of the time when a new member posted a question asking where they could find a good black suit and someone responded "you do realize that you came to the absolute WORST place to ask that question???".....I still laugh out loud thinking about that.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
You can either ask Tibor or PT Williams.
I have only recieved comments about me dressing like an old man from styleforum(not in real life, at least towards my face). I have not seen any old men dressing like me in my life time, and when they did, they were around my age.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibor
I have only recieved comments about me dressing like an old man from styleforum(not in real life, at least towards my face). I have not seen any old men dressing like me in my life time, and when they did, they were around my age.

You missed my point. I asked him to get your thoughts on a bowler because as a young guy who dons hats, you are going to provide a different perspective. I personally don't think you dress like an old man. Just anachronistic, particularly for San Diego, which I frequent often. Nothing wrong with dressing the way you do, as long as you're comfortable with it I suppose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads