• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black VS Brown Leather Jackets

Ivar

Reaction score
There are no hard and fast rules, but in general, I find it that blondes look better in black and brunettes look better in brown.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Jet, what's your opinion on wearing black and brown leather together? I was hoping you'd comment before Who shut it down. I know you recently said that you were against the matchy matchy stuff but I think you also were against black with brown on WAYWT not too long ago (I don't remember the context though). Thanks

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I buy a red chambray from J Crew or Gap?

Yardsale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks

oh cool. troll threads all over SF
teacha.gif

mmm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks

start a new thread and find out.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
^ Jet, what's your opinion on wearing black and brown leather together? I was hoping you'd comment before Who shut it down. I know you recently said that you were against the matchy matchy stuff but I think you also were against black with brown on WAYWT not too long ago (I don't remember the context though). Thanks

I hate brown and black (is that an mc rule?) but I do navy and black on the regular. I also despise the normal ubiquitous shade of brown you see everywhere, I'm more of a cognac, taupe, beige kind of guy and I have one pair of dark chocolatey brown boots that are amazingly rich. The only other brown that is acceptable is cigar shell.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will the proportions of my leather look odd with my massive soccer player thighs?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medium brown leather goes with everything. Black leather is generic and looks like any other leather.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless it's something iconic (like Dior, RO etc), I'd stay away from traditional black/brown colors and go with something different: cognac, olive, gray (faded black)

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you should get a brown and black leather jacket.. kill two birds with one stone.
ralph_lauren_ad_Campaign_advertising_black_label.jpg

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Medium brown leather goes with everything. Black leather is generic and looks like any other leather.
I feel like black leather goes better w/more adventurous designs whereas brown goes better w/traditional stuff like bombers I've done black leather all my life, saving up for a nice brown bomber now

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My answer: Neither color

I would pick a dark charcoal or gray instead. But if you have to choose between only pure black or brown, then I would go with black. Brown leathers are worn mostly by older men wearing more traditional fits from what I've observed. Nothing wrong with going down that path, but be sure that's the vibe your aiming for.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
you should get a brown and black leather jacket.. kill two birds with one stone.

ralph_lauren_ad_Campaign_advertising_black_label.jpg

we just got andyliu'ed here so bad
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads