• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
There's the thing. Your store. Those of us in the hinterlands do not have such a resource and it makes everything that much harder. However, UPS and the like, make left coast stuff easy to obtain. If I lived in NYC or SF I am sure I would drink more Burg.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
it doesn't have to be that much harder though. Places like KL and WL have great online resources (you can even watch Gary V as he tastes some and then seek them out locally or have them shipped), plus the newspapers often have articles or profiles (the LA times had one on female Burg producers not long ago). A good somm, also, will have you covered.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yeah, but I'd prefer a taste first. I get the email for Zachy's. Give me tastings like that and I'd buy. I'm sure I'll buy more Burgs over time but it's a slow process given the $ per bottle. The best headway I've made on Frenchies so far are picks from Kermit Lynch. I will probably get a few mixed cases put together in the new year from them.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
Hurray for the pinned thread!

I celebrated with a 2007 Syncline Syrah, another Columbia Valley, Washington State wine. Crystal clean, low key. Just lovely.

Partly this was drank while watching Apocalypse Now with my 13 year old son. I had some explaining to do. Not as much as when we watched 2001, which resolutely refuses to explain what is going on, but Apocalypse Now doesn't do a lot of exposition despite having a voice over.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
redhill.jpg
meiomi.jpg
puntroad.jpg

The Aussie Pinot was a lovely surprise. Quite spicy. $20
The Belle Glos Meiomi was fruit forward, but what great fruit. Really funky after a nice decant. Like it better than the $50 Belle. $26
The Yarra Valley Shiraz was under control with lots of flavour and not too much of the heat that bothers me about cheaper Oz Shiraz'. $26

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I enjoy drinking while cooking, so this is the wine of choice. Very nice and great value sparkler (I'm making lentil and sweet potato soup from Ad Hoc)

2467614710043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, so sticking with my < $20 a bottle, drink now wine allowed between now and Jan 1.

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

So, some Frenchies, a couple of Hanna (RRV) and one Spanish. Total bill was $90.

Drank this while fixing dinner. First Torrentes I was not impressed with. No nose. That's all I have to say, as IMO, Torrentes is all about the floral notes on the nose.

IMG_1115.jpg

And for dinner:

IMG_1119.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
BTW, gome is right, buy any Italian white at virtually any price and it will be good.

I opened a spoiled bottle of white Bord tonight. Really bad. Poured it out. Rare but it does happen.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
BTW, gome is right, buy any Italian white at virtually any price and it will be good.

for the most part, I find this to be true. There are some exceptions (the giant producers for the most part).

And I don't forget for a minute about tasting that Corino Barolo. That was awesome. At $65 it's my current
facepalm.gif
for not picking up any, but I do lack room in my "cellar". The Sassicaia is taking up some room
smile.gif

Nice haul, Pio. I like the general diversity of regions.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PINNIED!!!! Sweet!!!

Old pic but had another bottle of my fav Malbec last night at my mom's with homemage empanadas! I never tire of the juice!!!

luigi-bosca-malbec-reserva_2006.jpg

The bottle pictured is the 06 but had the 07 last night and out of all the vintages that I've had of this one (04-07) this one is by far the most refined and complex of them all with great fruits to structure balance!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
For gomey: 2004 Luigi Righetti Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Capitel De' Roari. Very nice.

whallyden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I'm making lentil and sweet potato soup from Ad Hoc]

Thanks for the inspiration -- we made it tonight with baby sweet potatoes from the CSA box and some French de Puy lentils gathering dust in the pantry. It was wonderful, although the aftermath from lentils is never pleasant
ffffuuuu.gif

On topic, paired with a very drinkable '09 Bogle Chard. IMO, excellent QPR @ ~$9.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
For gomey: 2004 Luigi Righetti Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Capitel De' Roari. Very nice.

Nice, happy to share the Eye-tie love.

Originally Posted by whallyden
Thanks for the inspiration -- we made it tonight with baby sweet potatoes from the CSA box and some French de Puy lentils gathering dust in the pantry. It was wonderful, although the aftermath from lentils is never pleasant
ffffuuuu.gif

also nice. It made for great leftovers at lunch. Tonight will be roast chicken over root vegetables (also from Ad Hoc and one of my favorites)

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

That's a great value Amarone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads