• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did I wreck this cigar?

rdaws

Reaction score
Bought a few Cohibas in Mexico 2 weeks ago, and as I'm (finally) unpacking everything I pulled one out that I'd forgotten about.

How long do one of these last outside a humidor? Is it worth smoking?

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pics help (to verify authenticity). most cubans (especially Montes, RyJs, & Cohibas) in mexico are fake, but if you bought it from a LCdH, then they're reeeeeeeeeel.

but you could throw them in a humidor now, it's not going to hurt.

If they are hard to the touch or the wrapper feels crispy, then you've let them dry out. If the oils are still on the stick,s you can try to throw them in a dry box for a couple weeks, then stick them in your humidor and let them rest for months, and they might be alright. Chances are they're shot (if they feel brittle), but it doesn't hurt to try.

mikeman

Reaction score
Let the pros chime in, however, if you don't have a humidor, throw them in a tupperware with a damp sponge (using distilled water). Should be fine after a few weeks. But if they are super dry and cracked, then toss em...

rdaws

Reaction score
Probably authentic, got them in the duty free at the airport. It doesn't feel crispy yet, so I suppose that's a good sign.

I'll try the tupperware idea - do I need to keep rewetting the sponge, and how frequently?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Rehydrating dried-out cigars takes a long time if you want to do it properly. Don't try to rush the process, because too much water too soon will rehydrate the leaves too quickly and will risk rupturing the wrapper and/or binder leaves as they expand.

If you have a humidor that's properly seasoned, just place them in the humidor and leave them alone for at least 4 to 6 weeks. If you don't have a humidor, place them in a tupperware container, and also place in the container a small, shallow bowl (a finger bowl works well, or a small sauce/dipping bowl). The bowl should be filled to about 1/2 capacity with distilled water (make sure it's distilled, or you will risk mold contamination). You can also use a piece of sponge or wad of paper towel soaked in distilled water, but I prefer the bowl of water. Do not let the cigars actually touch the water.

Seal the cigars in the container with the water, and let the moisture evaporate into the container. Leave the cigars in this environment for 4 to 6 weeks, opening every so often to provide fresh air and to change the water as necessary.

Rehydrated cigars will never be as good as new, but with patience and time, you can get them relatively smokable again.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Rehydrating dried-out cigars takes a long time if you want to do it properly. Don't try to rush the process, because too much water too soon will rehydrate the leaves too quickly and will risk rupturing the wrapper and/or binder leaves as they expand.

If you have a humidor that's properly seasoned, just place them in the humidor and leave them alone for at least 4 to 6 weeks. If you don't have a humidor, place them in a tupperware container, and also place in the container a small, shallow bowl (a finger bowl works well, or a small sauce/dipping bowl). The bowl should be filled to about 1/2 capacity with distilled water (make sure it's distilled, or you will risk mold contamination). You can also use a piece of sponge or wad of paper towel soaked in distilled water, but I prefer the bowl of water. Do not let the cigars actually touch the water.

Seal the cigars in the container with the water, and let the moisture evaporate into the container. Leave the cigars in this environment for 4 to 6 weeks, opening every so often to provide fresh air and to change the water as necessary.

Rehydrated cigars will never be as good as new, but with patience and time, you can get them relatively smokable again.

+1 to this. it should be noted, however, that two weeks is not that much time outside of a humidified environment. The cigar, if left to rest for a few weeks in a properly humidified environment will be fine. I recommend a tupperware and couple of these: http://www.amazon.com/Humidipak-Bove.../dp/B000A3SZXG

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If the cigars were still in their metal tubes or cellophane, they probably weathered the elements a lot better than exposed cigars would. And yes, in the grand scheme of things, two weeks out of a humidor is not the end of the world. It'll still have dried them out a bit, though not to such a state as to render them worthless.

If they are still in some sort of covering (plastic, metal, etc.), be sure to remove the covering when rehydrating them.

Finally, I'm not sure how many cigars the OP smokes on a regular basis. But if you're smoking more than just the occasional cigar on a rare basis, I'd suggest investing in a humidor. There are some very small travel-sized humidors -- they'll hold about 10 to 20 cigars -- that won't break the bank.

jfclarky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdaws
Bought a few Cohibas in Mexico 2 weeks ago, and as I'm (finally) unpacking everything I pulled one out that I'd forgotten about.

How long do one of these last outside a humidor? Is it worth smoking?

Send me the cigars, I will personally examine them for you and tell you if they can be smoked or not.

The info from above is probably your best bet though.

if you have a humidor is recommend http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14

if you don't have a humidor go and buy a 30 dollar one from your cigar shop.

mandom

Reaction score
Two weeks may make your cigars drier, but depending on your heating system and humidity, it should not be long enough to fully dry it out. Putting it in a humidor could still probably save it. I suggest you just smoke it, I'm sure it is still good.

rdaws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gewehr
So you smuggled Cohibas?

I smuggled *a* Cohiba that I forgot I had in the luggage. Worst that happens if you're caught is they take it away ("personal use"). You're only in trouble if you bring a bunch back for commercial resale.

digitalis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gewehr
So you smuggled Cohibas?

You can bring back Cubans if they were bought in Mexico.

I was just down in Cancun this past week and every street vendor and guy on the beach has the best Cubans in Mexico.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads