• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did you find your job?

Maximus Mark

Reaction score
First job: campus posting for consulting firm, submitted application + transcripts + short research paper (showing my excel and writing skills), all optional. Invited to interview but position was put on hold, followed up every week via quick phone call until they hired me. Helped that the director/partner went to the same school.

Still at it. Not that it works for everyone, but new grads need to do something "extra" or their resumes get shredded faster than an old credit card bill.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=12118

crackup[1].gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A bunch of firms recruited on campus, and I took the job from one of them. Speak to Career Services to see which firms recruit on your campus.

cimabue

Reaction score
In lieu of getting the job you want, it's good advice to suggest you try starting your own business. Best case scenario, you succeed and enjoy the rewards of self-employment, being your own boss, making bank, etc, etc; worse case scenario, you fail but have learned how hard it is to make a going concern, meet a payroll (if only your own), understand what it means to be a valuable employee, a good employer, and so on. In a sense, there is no such thing as a wasting time so long as you're out there trying different things.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fuuma is hilarious and correct, for the record.

I got an internship because a family member knew the head of the legal department of the company. It was supposed to be a summer internship. At the end of the summer, they asked me to work during the school year part time until December. At December, they asked me to stay until I took the bar exam. After the bar exam, I contacted my former boss and he offered me my current job.

In conclusion: use every connection you can to get your foot in the door. Once you are in, you have to earn your place almost every day over and over again.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
In lieu of getting the job you want, it's good advice to suggest you try starting your own business. Best case scenario, you succeed and enjoy the rewards of self-employment, being your own boss, making bank, etc, etc; worse case scenario, you fail but have learned how hard it is to make a going concern, meet a payroll (if only your own), understand what it means to be a valuable employee, a good employer, and so on. In a sense, there is no such thing as a wasting time so long as you're out there trying different things.

+1. Self-employment really dials you into reality.

I got my current job because a friend was nailing someone who worked there. Got me an interview.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The way things are right now... nepotism might be the only way to find a job quickly.
frown.gif

Histrion

Reaction score
I got my job in a fairly typical way: a friend told me about a new firm in the field I wanted to join that was being very successful and might need to hire. I then looked at who the practice leader at the firm was and sent him an email describing my situation and asking him if he'd like to do coffee. We went for coffee, had a good chat, I then sent him my CV and then I went through the rest of the process (though by that point I pretty much had the inside track on it). Got a job out of it and it's been a lot of fun...

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Applied to a "Help Wanted" ad.

In interview, declared my comfort level with male nudity and giving/receiving gay oral and ********.

Received job.

Gave job(s).

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in a highly specialized area where job security was pretty much a given, Not any more: last move I made was in a less than desirable geographic location, with close to a hundred applicants for a position. It's time for another move, yet it's not going to happen any time soon.
ffffuuuu.gif

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
I got my job in a fairly typical way: a friend told me about a new firm in the field I wanted to join that was being very successful and might need to hire. I then looked at who the practice leader at the firm was and sent him an email describing my situation and asking him if he'd like to do coffee. We went for coffee, had a good chat, I then sent him my CV and then I went through the rest of the process (though by that point I pretty much had the inside track on it). Got a job out of it and it's been a lot of fun...

Do employers/recruiters see through these attempts? Not saying you weren't genuinely interested in meeting the guy for coffee, but the logical conclusion is that you're going to ask for a job/interview at some point.

I've simply never asked someone to meet for coffee like this becuase I feel they would see through it as an attempt to get a job with them, is this not the case?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads