• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Well, that's the irony of the year then,
b/c everything I know about clothing, I've learned from SF in the last 9 months !
(And books by Flusser, Manton, Vass, Roetzel, et al)

I'm not trying to be fashionable, hip, or younger than I am.
Recall the subtitle of Flusser's "Dressing the Man" book.
That is the driving principle of this entire thread.

again ... everything you learn from all those books, SF etc should be used in context to your physique and personal style. you act like you don't spend a second in WAYWRN. if you don't maybe you should. there are people older than you, who dress better than you ... with no attempt to look older or younger.

if you like it the way you, then don't make a thread. i can see a Millionaire Teacher meltdown coming soon.

clothes have to FIT ... and your clothes DONT.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^+1, I dont care whether those pants are Incotex or Mabitex slim ones. They dont fit YOU and thats the bottomline. A lot of members wear trousers which are looser but fall and look much better

Ivar

Reaction score
For your reference, here's what a model in a slim-fitting Zara suit looks like:

5870302800233.jpg

And this is what you look like:

2noifs.jpg

Note that the Zara look by no means is unattainable IRL, as you previously hinted at. In fact, that is how most young men in suits look like in this neck of the woods.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
clothes have to FIT ... and your clothes DONT.

Holy ****, this statement alone should be reposted as many hundreds of times as is necessary to get Reevolving to shut up and listen.

Reevolving: I don't care if Flusser told you to wear X. When he told you to wear X, he assumed you'd be wearing a well-fitting version of X. Fit is everything. You can't blame Flusser, Roetzel, this board, or anyone else for your sartorial failures anymore than you can blame a cookbook for a recipe you didn't follow properly.

Good style starts with good fit. All the Kiton, Brioni, Attolini, Edward Green, etc. in the world won't save you from poor fit. Get thee to a tailor and stop trolling this board.

The biggest problem with your "algorithm" is that the individual is a variable, not a constant. You need to adjust for you.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
It's
because
you
learned
about
clothes
from
Men's
Clothing

and
never
developed
your
own
sense
of
style
or
taste

Ahhahahhahahahahahahhahahahahah.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^+1, I dont care whether those pants are Incotex or Mabitex slim ones. They dont fit YOU and thats the bottomline. A lot of members wear trousers which are looser but fall and look much better

idfaq8.jpg

- B

colins

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
It's
because
you
learned
about
clothes
from
Men's
Clothing

and
never
developed
your
own
sense
of
style
or
taste

inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

Schorsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
Again, as I mentioned few posts earlier effectively this is endorsing the slim fit look that many on here consider "douchebaggy" or too GQ. Admit it, everyone on here furtively likes what GQ offers
devil.gif

No, there is a world of difference between the fit of the OP's jacket and the GQ slim/skinny fit. Within that world lies a good fit.

In this pic:
25sq3ip.jpg

The fit looks similar to this older gentleman:
2010-09-30+DSC_0389_edited-1.jpg

What you're looking for is something closer to this fit:

Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
5081389459_b53574c6a0_b.jpg

The key to me is the waist suppression. If you have this, you have a more youthful silhouette.

I guarantee you that he is comfortable, his clothes are not skin- or GQ-tight, and his wife is a thousand times hotter than the woman at the bar.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, I actually think TC above looks more like the old man picture above than I do. (It's the old man colors and patterns) LOVE those shoes, though..
Yes, we've agreed that my jacket it not waist suppressed.
I believe neither my jacket and pants are quite as baggy as the red pocketsquare old man above (jacket protruding at the legs, particuarly)
I will take a picture of my jacket actually buttoned, b/c its a difficult comparison otherwise.

In terms of pants and shirts, we can disagree about how much room there is left for fine tuning. Yes, an inch off the waist. Maybe the shirts taken another inch in. But that's about it. Otherwise, my pants and shirts fit me pretty snugly, and I'm not going any slimmer. I wear clothing to an actual job that involves movement and sitting, not to my living room webcam. Big difference. I have a distinct feeling the people who are claiming my pants and shirt are too big have not taken a picture of themselves in a very long time.

That Zara suit looks great. It has that short female length that is now "cool" on SF. (That suit would have been ripped to shreds 3 months ago) Almost too great, in fact. I'd have to actually try the Zara fit become making a conclusion, but based on how tight my pants and shirts already fit, and the way that translates to photos, I truly don't think that model can do anything but stand there. If he sat down, I'd be the entire suit would explode or serve as a tourniquet.

The "bespoke" jacket above looks like an awful fit, and reinforces my point. He might look good standing there for a camera, but the minute he actually moves? ....Game over. If his arms attained horizontal, his jacket would tear. Useless jacket IRL.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Funny, I actually think TC above looks more like the old man picture above than I do. (It's the old man colors and patterns) LOVE those shoes, though..
Yes, we've agreed that my jacket it not waist suppressed.
I believe neither my jacket and pants are quite as baggy as the red pocketsquare old man above (jacket protruding at the legs, particuarly)
I will take a picture of my jacket actually buttoned, b/c its a difficult comparison otherwise.

In terms of pants and shirts, we can disagree about how much room there is left for fine tuning. Yes, an inch off the waist. Maybe the shirts taken another inch in. But that's about it. Otherwise, my pants and shirts fit me pretty snugly, and I'm not going any slimmer. I wear clothing to an actual job that involves movement and sitting, not to my living room webcam. Big difference. I have a distinct feeling the people who are claiming my pants and shirt are too big have not taken a picture of themselves in a very long time.

That Zara suit looks great. It has that short female length that is now "cool" on SF. (That suit would have been ripped to shreds 3 months ago) Almost too great, in fact. I'd have to actually try the Zara fit become making a conclusion, but based on how tight my pants and shirts already fit, and the way that translates to photos, I truly don't think that model can do anything but stand there. If he sat down, I'd be the entire suit would explode or serve as a tourniquet.

The "bespoke" jacket above looks like an awful fit, and reinforces my point. He might look good standing there for a camera, but the minute he actually moves? ....Game over. If his arms attained horizontal, his jacket would tear. Useless jacket IRL.

You are poorly dressed, and will always look like **** because you can't take advice and lack the ability to recognize that you lack taste at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads