• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
These aren't slim fit pants. They are baggy as ****. This is a far cry from what Foo can do, but I circled every place I could see your pants and looking like a sloppy mess. Sorry dude, but your pants are NOT slim fit, or even fitting well. They look like pleated suit pants:
wg2ioobf.jpg

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by butterflystyle
These aren't slim fit pants. They are baggy as ****. This is a far cry from what Foo can do, but I circled every place I could see your pants and looking like a sloppy mess. Sorry dude, but your pants are NOT slim fit, or even fitting well. They look like pleated suit pants:
wg2ioobf.jpg

The poise of his arms make him look like a
ber-fail-bomb-fork-lift-forklift-ub.jpg

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One possible issue. This particular pair of Mabitex are VERY structured. They could almost stand up on their own. The cotton is that thick, yet, they are soft as hell at the same time.
I think that is why you're seeing more creases that would otherwise just drape normally with a pair of wool slacks.

Yes, the waist is exactly 1 inch too large, but the pants are not even close to "baggy as ****". Once more, in the pants pictured, when I SIT, there is ZERO slack in the thighs. ZERO. You could take pincers, and not be able to grab any fabric. It is 100% taut. These Mabitex are known here by some as "ball-huggers". If you think they are baggy as ****, I suspect maybe you've just seen too many fake modelling photo shoots, and have forgotten what "real clothing" looks like.

As a learning experience, I suggest you take some pictures of what you perceive to be slim fit pants in your mind (that you actually wear regularly IRL: to a job, driving a car, etc), and watch how "baggy" they actually appear from a camera angle. You might be surprised.

PS: I raise my arms b/c hanging them to the sides makes everyone look like a corpse, which makes it harder to analyze the photo.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Perhaps pictures are deceiving, but like I said before, these pants are about as slim fit as you can get while still living in the real world. You know, having a job, being able to walk, sitting down, scraping up a stray piece of used chewing gum, etc. These are Mabitex, known here by some as "ball-huggers". If you think they are baggy as ****, I don't think you know anything about dressing up. Sorry. Maybe you've just seen too many fake modelling photo shoots. I suggest you take a picture of what you perceive to be slim fit, and watch how "baggy as ****" they actually are from a camera angle. Once more, in the pants pictured, when I SIT, there is ZERO slack. ZERO. You could take pincers, and not be able to grab any fabric. It is 100% taut.

That just means it fits or is tight in one area, and not others. You should get a tailor to clean up all those problem areas. Check WAYWT. You can have a clean slim silhouette without it being a "photo shoot".

Really, the solution to all your problems is a good tailor.

GasparddeColigny

Reaction score
Echoing many others: it looks like you have a decent enough build to wear more fitted clothing.
The slacks are very old fashioned, no way are these anywhere near low-rise. BB is not a good reference point in your quest, they're quite conservative. Try on some Zara jackets, just to get an idea of the slimmer sportscoats and the like, see what it does for you.
You can add a dash of color to your outfits, now it screams out 'safe!', which is rarely attractive.
Shoes with a bit of a sleeker last wouldn't hurt either.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Zara is a good idea, not expensive, pretty representative of "youthful" style, and intended for thin people. Try on their most conservative and least conservative jackets, and see what the differences between the two are.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a particular store that is better ?

NEW YORK - 39 W STREET NEAR 6TH AVENUE
NEW YORK - 500 FIFTH AVENUE AT 42ND STREET
NEW YORK - 101 FIFTH AVENUE NEAR 17TH STREET
NEW YORK - 689 FIFTH AVENUE AT 54TH STREET
NEW YORK - 750 LEXINGTON AVENUE AT 59TH STREET
NEW YORK - 580 BROADWAY NEAR PRINCE STREET
NEW YORK - 1963 BROADWAY

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One possible issue. This particular pair of Mabitex are VERY structured. They could almost stand up on their own. The cotton is that thick, yet, they are soft as hell at the same time.
I think that is why you're seeing more creases that would otherwise just drape normally with a pair of wool slacks.

Yes, the waist is exactly 1 inch too large, but the pants are not even close to "baggy as ****". Once more, in the pants pictured, when I SIT, there is ZERO slack in the thighs. ZERO. You could take pincers, and not be able to grab any fabric. It is 100% taut. These Mabitex are known here by some as "ball-huggers". If you think they are baggy as ****, I suspect maybe you've just seen too many fake modelling photo shoots, and have forgotten what "real clothing" looks like.

As a learning experience, I suggest you take some pictures of what you perceive to be slim fit pants in your mind (that you actually wear regularly IRL: to a job, driving a car, etc), and watch how "baggy" they actually appear from a camera angle. You might be surprised.

PS: I raise my arms b/c hanging them to the sides makes everyone look like a corpse, which makes it harder to analyze the photo.

Dude, why don't you STFU already? It was a lousy outfit, and you've put too much credence into what your idiot friend said of it. Have you that little confidence in yourself that you would go on to create this now 20 page thread (Jesus) in an endless and hopeless search for validation? Your outfit was ****, and your friend's a stupid know-nothing loser. That's the only reason this is still happening. Let's just stop now. Please.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, can you actually read?

1) I dismissed her opinion by day 2 (She doesn't like wool slacks)
2) I've repeatedly stated that I like how I dress. (Validation?)

It was hardly a lousy outfit.
It was boring/conservative/professional office attire with a boxy Canali blazer.

Many people have benefited from this thread (which morphed into a discussion about proper fit)
Don't like it? Leave.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I will absolutely explore a slimmer fit jacket for my next purchase. To reiterate, my pants and shirt already fit reasonably well. The only pic without a jacket was the ill-fitting white CEGO that still needs alterations. Realistically, neither can go much slimmer while still being functional (able to sit, type, etc). I now realize that "model pictures" are completely artificial and impractical for anything beyond a photo shoot (ie: real life or a job). Below, both the pant and shirt seem to have plenty of room for additional slimming. However, the Mabitex pants are 100% taut while sitting, and flirt with being uncomfortable. Sure, the waist pictured below could be tighter, as they are 1 inch too big. (32 vs 34....no 33) But the legs can't be slimmer without looking unprofessional, ****, or rendering the pants unfunctional. The shirt below, while not a perfect fit, was slimmed significantly, and is nothing like an OTR shirt. I would not be able to raise my arms much higher than pictured.... I have edited the picture to show where my belly button lies. Pants are not even close to it. Thanks again.
oa0yoi.jpg

Yup pants should be slimmer, so should the shirt be unless you're aiming for "typical middle manager fit" they're both too baggy. Fact.
Dude, can you actually read? 1) I dismissed her opinion by day 2 (She doesn't like wool slacks) 2) I've repeatedly stated that I like how I dress. (Validation?) It was hardly a lousy outfit. It was boring/conservative/professional office attire with a boxy Canali blazer. Many people have benefited from this thread (which morphed into a discussion about proper fit) Don't like it? Leave.
Well good for you that you like how you dress since nobody else does.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Well good for you that you like how you dress since nobody else does.
Well, that's the irony of the year then, b/c everything I know about clothing, I've learned from SF in the last 9 months ! (And books by Flusser, Manton, Vass, Roetzel, et al) I'm not trying to be fashionable, hip, or younger than I am. Recall the subtitle of Flusser's "Dressing the Man" book. That is the driving principle of this entire thread.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
It's
because
you
learned
about
clothes
from
Men's
Clothing

and
never
developed
your
own
sense
of
style
or
taste

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads