• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I bought some Aberlour a'bunadh while I was in Edinburgh. Great stuff.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Anybody tried the Port Ellen Big Peat? It's only 5500 yen and my gf could bring me back a bottle, but I'm trying to keep my shopping list down to 4 bottles of things max, and 3 are spoken for
redface.gif

http://jewishsinglemaltwhiskysociety.com/?p=2059

I actually ordered a bottle of that last week, but it has yet to arrive. I'd say go for it depending on what the other three bottles are. What are the other three?

Originally Posted by Matt

inlove.gif
One of my favorites.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
gonna get the styleforum-approved Chartreuse green and a bottle of Luxardo, so I can try the Last Word finally.
redface.gif
I need a bottle of Noilly Prat as well, they don't sell any of those here, very limited pickings. I can go around and get distillery bottlings of stuff like Bowmore, Crag, Lag, Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Talisker, etc, here, so I don't want her to bring me back scotch really, but that Big Peat caught my eye because it's supposedly $80-100 in the US (?) and its only 5500Y on rakuten, significantly cheaper. that and I have some scotch at home already, so dont need to buy too many more bottles right now. It's more a space thing since she has to buy it in Tokyo and then stop off at her mom's house in Fukuoka again before coming back home to me, so I don't want her to be weighed down too much
redface.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gonna get the styleforum-approved Chartreuse green and a bottle of Luxardo, so I can try the Last Word finally.
redface.gif
I need a bottle of Noilly Prat as well, they don't sell any of those here, very limited pickings. I can go around and get distillery bottlings of stuff like Bowmore, Crag, Lag, Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Talisker, etc, here, so I don't want her to bring me back scotch really, but that Big Peat caught my eye because it's supposedly $80-100 in the US (?) and its only 5500Y on rakuten, significantly cheaper. that and I have some scotch at home already, so dont need to buy too many more bottles right now. It's more a space thing since she has to buy it in Tokyo and then stop off at her mom's house in Fukuoka again before coming back home to me, so I don't want her to be weighed down too much
redface.gif

I bought mine from the UK so it was only about $45. In the US it goes for $100, like you said, I would not pay $100 for it. It looks pretty cool and for the UK price it ought to be worth it. It is also interesting in that it uses Port Ellen as one of the blending (vatting) components. I doubt, however, that the PE used is that plentiful or of that high a quality.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Think I might go for it. $60 is cheap in my neck of the woods for a bottle of whiskey anyway... can't get **** here, but I think the one thing I'm up on is that I can get all the Yoichis, Hibikis, Yamazakis that you guys cant get.
redface.gif
I was wanting to go get a bottle of Hibiki next actually...

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think I might go for it. $60 is cheap in my neck of the woods for a bottle of whiskey anyway... can't get **** here, but I think the one thing I'm up on is that I can get all the Yoichis, Hibikis, Yamazakis that you guys cant get.
redface.gif
I was wanting to go get a bottle of Hibiki next actually...

Go for it.

You do have amazing access to Japanese whiskeys that I would love to have. Take advantage of it and splurge on an old sherried Karuizawa. I've had but two (and a third one in storage that I am saving for sometime in the future) and they are amazing.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though Big Peat's blend incorporates some Port Ellen, this shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether or not to buy it. I've heard several mixed reviews (most saying to spend that money on a quality Islay single malt instead).

Either that, or save your money. There are a few (not many) early 80's distillations of Port Ellen that have the signature Port Ellen profile for only a couple bills.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
Even though Big Peat's blend incorporates some Port Ellen, this shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether or not to buy it. I've heard several mixed reviews (most saying to spend that money on a quality Islay single malt instead).

Either that, or save your money. There are a few (not many) early 80's distillations of Port Ellen that have the signature Port Ellen profile for only a couple bills.

The new Cheftins PE single cask (distilled in 1984, I think) is pretty good and less than $200. Personally, I would spend the extra $100 and get one of the great OBs if I was going the PE route.

Big Peat should be interesting for $45 (assuming it doesn't get seized!), but I wouldn't pay more for it.

Bohdathone

Reaction score
I've tried the Big Peat a few times; it's drinkable and rounded and clearly a vatted malt rather than a single. I'm not a huge fan of Islays but it appealed to my buddy who is a Laphroaig fanatic. I'm surprised it sells in the US for $100. $60 or so seems to be the level it goes for in the UK. Impolyt, by the way I sent you a PM regarding what's available there
smile.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
Nice!

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
just got a bottl of laphroaig 10 yr for 33 bucks at the liquor store. haven't opened it yet. I've never bought scotch before (more of a buy bottle, drink bottle that night person). any thoughts on this bottle?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by downwithianbrown
just got a bottl of laphroaig 10 yr for 33 bucks at the liquor store. haven't opened it yet. I've never bought scotch before (more of a buy bottle, drink bottle that night person). any thoughts on this bottle?

You will enjoy it.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by downwithianbrown

You picked an interesting one. Enjoy!

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
Enjoying it right now! I am drinking it neat, though my first impulse was to put an ice cube in it (that's what I do with whiskey and bourbon). I think I got a good deal, regular price was supposedly 44 or so.

Maximus Mark

Reaction score
This thread must not die.

Just finished a bottle of delicious Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I swear you can chew the smoke and peat in your mouth.

That said, I'm looking for a less-peaty but complex malted-liquid incarnation for my next bottle.

Bottles I haven't tried but strongly considering:
1) Highland Park 18 - $135 for me (go Canada), but it's HP18. Nuff' said.
2) Aberlour A'bunadh - $95. Universally acclaimed.
3) THE Glenlivet XXV - $350. Frugal (ie. boring) lifestyle last month means I can buy this, but if I do, it will have to give me an orgasm in my mouth. Hesitant.

Experiences with the above would be appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads