• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Casual is Hard

River Dog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
confused.gif

This is so obviously true that I don't know why you bothered to post it. For one huge example, look at all those screw-up slackers in the military. I mean, they do look sharp in those uniforms and they are really good at following rules, but everyone knows how lazy they are and what lousy attitudes they have. No esprit de corps at all.

It's pretty moronic to compare the military to a job, which most people hate anyway. So it's better to be comfortable as opposed to being told what to wear and have your employee hate you even more than they already do.

lou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by River Dog
It's pretty moronic to compare the military to a job, which most people hate anyway.

Let me think about what you wrote. The military does not compare to a job. I'm not a Dr. nor do I play one on TV, but I'm going to say that you are suffering from a cranial rectal inversion.

The military is a job! Perhaps you hate it, but most do not share your opinion. Most jobs in the military do infact have a civillian counterpart. Several of the combat arms jobs can even apply to civillian work.

As far as emplyees hating their boss over a dress code, thats bullshit. You said:

So it's better to be comfortable as opposed to being told what to wear and have your employee hate you even more than they already do.
It sounds like you hate your job, and your boss, and are just throwing a dress code on the fire as another reason to be unhappy. The impression that I've formed of you from reading these last few exchanges is that your a lazy unhappy person, who wants do to things his own way, and not have to answer to anybody. I've got a solution for you. Quit your job, and go start your own company.

I may be totally wrong.

River Dog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lou
Let me think about what you wrote. The military does not compare to a job. I'm not a Dr. nor do I play one on TV, but I'm going to say that you are suffering from a cranial rectal inversion.

The military is a job! Perhaps you hate it, but most do not share your opinion. Most jobs in the military do infact have a civillian counterpart. Several of the combat arms jobs can even apply to civillian work.

As far as emplyees hating their boss over a dress code, thats bullshit. You said:

It sounds like you hate your job, and your boss, and are just throwing a dress code on the fire as another reason to be unhappy. The impression that I've formed of you from reading these last few exchanges is that your a lazy unhappy person, who wants do to things his own way, and not have to answer to anybody. I've got a solution for you. Quit your job, and go start your own company.

I may be totally wrong.

Yes, you are totally wrong. People JOIN the military through choice. It's a fact that most people hate their jobs and would rather not work if they didn't have to - at least at the job they have now anyway.

It's also a fact that companies who get the most productivity out of their employees are the ones that are laid back and give their employees freedom - ie not a whole lot of rules, wear what you want, more breaks and it's no big deal if you are late on occasion if you are a great worker.

This is the exact reason why companies these days and especially newer ones are taking a very laid back approach to the working environment, because they companies are realizing that the more freedom and perks you give you employees, the more they want to do a good job for you.

As much as you might be Mr. Fancy Pants in the way that you dress for work, the reality is that most people would prefer to be comfortable and wear jeans to work if given a choice. Do you really think the majority of people would vote to wear a suit over a more casual wear to work. You are dreaming if you think suits would win.

lou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by River Dog
Yes, you are totally wrong. People JOIN the military through choice. It's a fact that most people hate their jobs and would rather not work if they didn't have to - at least at the job they have now anyway.

It's also a fact that companies who get the most productivity out of their employees are the ones that are laid back and give their employees freedom - ie not a whole lot of rules, wear what you want, more breaks and it's no big deal if you are late on occasion if you are a great worker.

This is the exact reason why companies these days and especially newer ones are taking a very laid back approach to the working environment, because they companies are realizing that the more freedom and perks you give you employees, the more they want to do a good job for you.

As much as you might be Mr. Fancy Pants in the way that you dress for work, the reality is that most people would prefer to be comfortable and wear jeans to work if given a choice. Do you really think the majority of people would vote to wear a suit over a more casual wear to work. You are dreaming if you think suits would win.

Don't confuse my lack of any further response to mean that I agree with you. I'll just add this thought. Stop confusing your opinion for fact.

River Dog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lou
Don't confuse my lack of any further response to mean that I agree with you. I'll just add this thought. Stop confusing your opinion for fact.

Good thing I have facts to back me up. Let me know if you want them.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Well i think you should wear a contrast collar shirt with french cuffs along with a navy pindot tie, dont forget the collar pin. A chalkstripe over charcoal flannel suit with a white linen pocket square paired with black plain toe sleek last english hidden channel welt shoes. Carry an Hermes sac and put on a pair of oliver peoples glasses, dont forget to showoff your A.Lange if anyone asks for the time, if they ask for the price tell them that it's none of their business but assure them it certainly wasnt cheap.

After the presentation start sending out resumes.

+1

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally Necro'd this thread. But was reading up on business casual

What is the woman to the left wearing?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads