• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do any of you believe in God?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Richdog
The Bible was the first real set of groundrules for living a good life, before law existed

lol8[1].gif

Yes I do.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agnostic, not a fan of discussing religion's existence because it is such a broad & complicated topic to discuss with respect to history, philosophy, science, psychology, etc.. Not to mention that half the time (or more, if CE can evidence) these discussions turn into an intellectual pissing contest or 'fact war', devoid of any civility or humbleness.

Richdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
societies had laws and morality before the bible existed...
Of course societies have always had their own sets of largely seperate laws all dictated by whoever was in power at the time, and subject to the whims of those rulers... but The Bible was universal, and absolute. Nothing affected so many people and lives in the same way, and people still live by it thousands of years later.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. But I'm strongly leaning towards no.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never believed either. I do remember at one point having faith in Santa Clause because he actuality brought me stuff, so that was proof enough for me. I would watch the Discovery Channel all day as a kid when they had real scientific programing and that kind of spurred me to ask "Honestly, how can a reindeer fly?" and then I stopped believing.

The first time I ever affirmed if I believed in God or not was when a classmate asked me during recess at school once.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe.
Why not? For you CBA guys: It doesn't cost anything.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do.

I don't believe in the "sky wizard" god who sits up in the clouds and throws lightning bolts at sinners. I do, however, believe that there's something bigger than us, even if we're completely incapable of defining it with any degree of accuracy.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I believe.
Why not? For you CBA guys: It doesn't cost anything.

Ah, Pascal's wager, right?
(BTW - not busting your chops or anything, I know you're legit)

I've heard this question posed by smarter folks than I, but here goes.

If you decided to believe in God because 'it didn't cost anything' - then how much is your faith worth?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't believe don't care. Spend about 5 minutes a year thinking about religion and existence of God. There goes 30 seconds of it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Richdog
Nope, God doesn't exist. The Bible was the first real set of groundrules for living a good life, before law existed, and the rest of it was word of mouth and embellishment resulting in a conspiracy of controlling the populace through fear of something greater than themselves... which thankfully in modern times is now growing defunkt as science gives us the answers we need, with more to come.

It's much, much, much more likely that Aliens exist.

lolwut. The Bible was the first set of groundrules for living a good life before law existed? I have mad respect for Biblical study and whatnot but this shows a serious lack of historical knowledge.

Anyway, my views on God are not fully determined. I believe something exists, but not an Abrahamic God that cares about us each personally. Just some kind of force, I suppose. But I realize that I can never fully know for sure, and I'm okay with that, and that belief doesn't change my day to day life in any way.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Einstein's essays about his belief (or lack thereof) of God are really quite interesting. Apparently, and this is somewhat off topic, he was struggling with the press for quite some time. Those who believed kept trying to paint him as a thiest, which he didn't exactly like.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBrown85
Einstein's essays about his belief (or lack thereof) of God are really quite interesting. Apparently, and this is somewhat off topic, he was struggling with the press for quite some time. Those who believed kept trying to paint him as a thiest, which he didn't exactly like.

its better to believe and find out you were right,rather then not believe and find out you were wrong,its just a question of which is the safer bet at this point,which would you put your money on?
but seriousy im a pretty heartless and cynical prick and 99% of the time i dont belleve but once in a awhile something happens that makes me go hmmmm (i wont elaborate)

rdaws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
its better to believe and find out you were right,rather then not believe and find out you were wrong,its just a question of which is the safer bet at this point,which would you put your money on?
but seriousy im a pretty heartless and cynical prick and 99% of the time i dont belleve but once in a awhile something happens that makes me go hmmmm (i wont elaborate)

Pascal's wager, eh? Nevermind that an omniscient God would be wise to your ruse and be none too happy that your devotion was just a risk calculation.

I do not believe - and think it's a waste of time to try to draw a line between Atheist and Agnostic. They aren't functionally different... both would respond to positive evidence with belief, and absent evidence will not believe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads