• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions and opinions about a new dressing room

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Virginia Dandy
UV filters or whatever on the windows and skylight to prevent sun fading? I suppose it probably goes without saying, but I said it anyway.

Originally Posted by Despos
Need to know how you store your suits, jackets & trousers as in do you hang the trousers form the cuff on one hanger, separately on its own hanger or over the hanger bar? Do you hang shirts in here or are they folded? Do you want to hang ties in the open or store them?
D is the only area with enough length to hang trousers or topcoats if you want topcoats in this room at all. Makes sense to keep topcoats elsewhere. Why take them up stairs if you don't have to.
Need to calculate the spacing needed and what the capacity will be. Recently helped a client with this, he had the room built to hold 120 suits plus shirts, shoes, sweaters, plus an area for an iron and pressing board for touch ups. I'll check on some of the small details that worked well.
Some clients use a center island to hold shoes and sweaters, but it kills the open flow in the room. Having glass doors reduces usable space.

Poliform takes forever to get and can be made by a craftsman.

Things that I hadn't considered...thank you.

- B

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Looks like store.
frown.gif

What's wrong with that? I think many people, women in particular, "dream" of having closets that either look like closets mainly seen in magazines or is laid out like a store. Sure beats what you find in most homes, especially cookie cutter houses. Wish I could customize a closet.

B - as Despos alluded to, will you also have a "staging" area for dress, such as a three way mirror and seating for you to put on shoes (unless that will be accounted for elsewhere, such as near one of the doors)?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
What's wrong with that? I think many people, women in particular, "dream" of having closets that either look like closets mainly seen in magazines or is laid out like a store.
I guess that's the case. I don't like that concept at all. I prefer a dressing room that doesn't look like my local Banana Republic store with open racks, etc...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
I'm rather stunned by the fact that you won't have enough room for all clothes, that you still have to move seasonal to the basement.

You will have to send us the wardrobe pics when it's finished.

Once it's done, I'm going to try hard to edit down further. We'll see.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I guess that's the case. I don't like that concept at all. I prefer a dressing room that doesn't look like my local Banana Republic store with open racks, etc...

Well, that's one of my concerns as well. The alternative is all enclosed in gloss white...our walls are matte white and the floors are dark brown cork.

Open racks do seem more convenient, though. There's also the moth issue to consider.

- B

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This seems to be consistent with your general aesthetic preference. IIR you also hate seeing TVs mounted on walls and would rather have them covered up by some sliding wall unit. Because the closet is it's separate room, it appears perfectly appropriate to have that separate space be open. But I guess we disagree.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Living the dream . . . Cool project, can't wait to hear about the progress.
I'm told that renovations can be nightmares, though.
smile.gif
- B

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Glass on the front of the pull out drawers lets you see what is there without opening the drawer. Can be lightly frosted.
Have to think about belts and accessories and how handy you want everything.
Moths are an exterminating issue. They are smart and wait for you to open the door and then enter the dining room.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
This seems to be consistent with your general aesthetic preference. IIR you also hate seeing TVs mounted on walls and would rather have them covered up by some sliding wall unit.
Yes - I loathe seeing my TV in my living room. But I also detest massive wall units so I'm going for the lesser evil...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^ J, how about projecting those images on the ceiling?

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Glass on the front of the pull out drawers lets you see what is there without opening the drawer. Can be lightly frosted.
Have to think about belts and accessories and how handy you want everything.
Moths are an exterminating issue. They are smart and wait for you to open the door and then enter the dining room.

Thank you.

- B

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides the light which was the first thing that came to mind, you should consider an air filter to try to control dust on the shoulders of suits.

Same would go for shoes if left out in the open.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads