• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How high are you supposed to wear suit pants?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by detroiter
inch above the navel? jesus, you msut have the shortest legs on earth.

Could you try that in English?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
MinnMD is right. mother nature in her wisdom made the hip bone [pelvis] so that men could hand their trousers there.
the navel is the wrong way to measure because every one is different.
for instance i carry trousers as described just on top of the hip bone.
my navel is then covered by my belt buckle.
on some folks it would be above or below.

negusnegas

Reaction score
I rarely would ask for someone to be banned, but clearly detroiter is just trolling and not even doing a very good job at it. Could the moderators please handle this issue.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans worn with anything but a t shirt, polo, or hoody=the gay.

You are saying every black man in Detroit that's older than 30 is gay? They all wear dry-cleaned jeans with Stacy Adams or Mauri gators
laugh.gif

Jay687

Reaction score
It depends on the pants IMO. You should wear them how they are meant to be worn. If you have low rise pants, don't try wearing them high, you'll look ridiculous with the pants riding up your ass.

Ultimately, I like them above my hip bone (illiac crest area), the way it was described above.

However, I think there is an important way to wear the pants to be most comfortable:

The thing about wearing your pants at your true waist/hips/illiac crest (or higher) is that your stomach gets in the way. Doesn't anyone else find this a problem? I'm not talking if you have a fat stomach, I have 30" waist and low bodyfat, but pants that fit at my "true waist" get in the way of my breathing. To get around this problem, I wear the front of my pants a tad lower. It's similar to the way in which I wear my hip belt when backpacking. The hip belt goes over your true hip bones/illiac crest, but so you can breath, the front of the belt goes lower.

Personally, that problem is also why I do like wearing low rise jeans and stuff because I actually feel it's a bit more natural feeling sometimes.

But regardless, no idea how people wear anything directly over their stomach. Unless you wear them loose with suspenders. That's about the only way.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a tailor mentioned, I don't know why your navel would be the point of reference, everyone's navel is in a different position relatively to the hip bone. FWIW, the width of my trouser waist band covers my hip bones on both sides, with the top of my pants hovering just above my hip bone. This is about 1.5+ inches below my navel. If I pulled pants up to my navel, I would need a 12+" rise and add 30 years to my age.

detroiter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
You are saying every black man in Detroit that's older than 30 is gay? They all wear dry-cleaned jeans with Stacy Adams or Mauri gators
laugh.gif

How would you know? I live in the city of detroit, and they dont. Its rock and republic jeans or true religion jeans, and prada high tops, with a v neck polo sweater. Only guys over 50 wear mauri's anymore. Now its all Pradas and guccis.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How would you know? I live in the city of detroit, and they dont. Its rock and republic jeans or true religion jeans, and prada high tops, with a v neck polo sweater. Only guys over 50 wear mauri's anymore. Now its all Pradas and guccis.

Maybe if you didn't spend all of your money on tacky brand clothes you could afford a better neighborhood.

detroiter

Reaction score
I can afford a better neighborhood. I choose to live here. I work in private equity guy I can easily live anywhere I want.

detroiter

Reaction score
Just goes to show, you have no idea what I dress like, or wear.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just goes to show, you have no idea what I dress like, or wear.

I am in business casual right now as it is friday. My wardrobe consists of a ralph lauren polo shirt, some armani black label slacks, ferragamo belt, and some bruno magli sorta slip on type shoes with rubber soles, ultra comfortable.

Some idea.

detroiter

Reaction score
True, I should go buy a sport coat, and look super dapper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads