• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How high are you supposed to wear suit pants?

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score
I saw a two-year-old thread on this, but it didn't really have any definitive answers.

Can someone explain where - in relation to the navel, hip bones, or hollow of the lower back - you are supposed to wear suit pants?

Let's assume that we are talking about a relatively thin person.

I also wonder if there is going to be a different answer depending on suit styles. So I'm specifically talking about Corneliani and Versace.

MinnMD

Reaction score
On each side, feel the top of the pelvic bone just below the ribs. Suit trousers should sit at the top of this bone which would then be just below the navel.

Low-rider pants, as in jeans, usually sit lower, just above the buttocks. Low-rider pants are best reserved for slim guys.

MinnMD

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To a certain degree, it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer that my suit trousers be high-waisted (about an inch above the navel) for a few reasons: (1) high-waisted trousers work better with suspenders; (2) a higher waist tends to elongate your legs, which, in my opinion, is a more elegant look; (3) I prefer my suit jackets with open quarters (a lower rise trouser would run the risk of exposing shirt); (4) if you wear a three-piece suit, a higher-sitting trouser helps prevent a gap between trouser and vest and (5) lower-waist trousers can, although not always, look a little "slouchy."

detroiter

Reaction score
inch above the navel? jesus, you msut have the shortest legs on earth.

Chillax

Reaction score
Depends of how old you are.
As you age, your pants should gradually creep upwards
By your seventies, the beltline should be approaching your nipples

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by detroiter
inch above the navel? jesus, you msut have the shortest legs on earth.

Not really. They're a bit shorter in relation to my torso than average, but I prefer the aesthetics of a higher waist.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm patiently waiting for that photo that always creeps into pant height threads...

detroiter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Not really. They're a bit shorter in relation to my torso than average, but I prefer the aesthetics of a higher waist.

I mean I agree with you, I am not a low rise fan, but my pants go up to right below my belly button, and I feel that is so high. Then again when I swear jeans, or sweats, or shorts, i usually wear my pants right above where ******* is.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by detroiter
I mean I agree with you, I am not a low rise fan, but my pants go up to right below my belly button, and I feel that is so high. Then again when I swear jeans, or sweats, or shorts, i usually wear my pants right above where ******* is.

Even when you have your sport coat on?

detroiter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Even when you have your sport coat on?

Jeans worn with anything but a t shirt, polo, or hoody=the gay.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, kids in the village dress better. They wear sport coats to school.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads