• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Needed -- Napoli Su Misura Sport Coat Odd Jacket

Maverick972

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to bespoke, so I do apologize if my questions sound ignorant. Anyway, I want to commission an odd jacket to wear casually -- a nonchalance look on the weekends. I'm open to all suggestions.

1) I think Edmorel described the house style/cut well in this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=189479

As she said, she works with each client individually but there is a house style, it is the Neapolitan coat that you see from the other tailors that are popular here, it's wide lapels, very soft shoulders (whether they are manica camicca or not), very swooped/open quarters, a shorter jacket, big sleeves. Now obviously you can add your design elements to it, get smaller lapels, a longer jacket, smaller quarters etc but you should be going to see her if you want a jacket/suit in the Napoli style to begin with, if you are going to change the style entirely and micro manage, there is a good chance that neither you nor her would be happy. Mina is an excellent fitter, my first jacket was pretty much spot on the first fitting and the only thing we have changed has been the length.

Do others have anything to add?

2) Since the tailors cut big sleeves, can I, or rather, should I request for the forearm area to be tapered?

3) For those that have worked with her, were there any surprises (details that differed from the original thought) with the end products?

4) Any extra details I could add to the jacket? Request extra hand-stitching? Unlined?

5) I think it was Tom Mahon that said the lapel button holes should be straight, but I think Edmorel's jackets are all key-holed. Is there a difference?

6) Lastly, I wouldn't mind reading more discussions about the fit and all else in general.

Thanks!

P.S. Edmorel, your jackets are beautiful!

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maverick972
I'm fairly new to bespoke, so I do apologize if my questions sound ignorant. Anyway, I want to commission an odd jacket to wear casually -- a nonchalance look on the weekends. I'm open to all suggestions.

1) I think Edmorel described the house style/cut well in this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=189479

As she said, she works with each client individually but there is a house style, it is the Neapolitan coat that you see from the other tailors that are popular here, it's wide lapels, very soft shoulders (whether they are manica camicca or not), very swooped/open quarters, a shorter jacket, big sleeves. Now obviously you can add your design elements to it, get smaller lapels, a longer jacket, smaller quarters etc but you should be going to see her if you want a jacket/suit in the Napoli style to begin with, if you are going to change the style entirely and micro manage, there is a good chance that neither you nor her would be happy. Mina is an excellent fitter, my first jacket was pretty much spot on the first fitting and the only thing we have changed has been the length.

2) Since the tailors cut big sleeves, can I, or rather, should I request for the forearm area to be tapered?

3) For those that have worked with her, were there any surprises (details that differed from the original thought) with the end products?

4) Any extra details I could add to the jacket? Request extra hand-stitching? Unlined?

5) I think it was Tom Mahon that said the lapel button holes should be straight, but I think Edmorel's jackets are all key-holed. Is there a difference?

6) Lastly, I wouldn't mind reading more discussions about the fit and all else in general.

Thanks!

Sleeves don't have to be big. The cut is clean, and as close as you'd like it. You should know whether you like soft shoulders. Unlined is a matter of preference, but it looks awesome. The only surprise will be how well your coat fits with only one basted fitting - and the selection of fabrics she has.

Check my posts in that thread for more examples.

Maverick972

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell

Sleeves don't have to be big. The cut is clean, and as close as you'd like it. You should know whether you like soft shoulders. Unlined is a matter of preference, but it looks awesome. The only surprise will be how well your coat fits with only one basted fitting - and the selection of fabrics she has.

Thanks, Alliswell. That's what I like to hear!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

The lapel buttonhole on Ed's jackets is not a keyhole. A keyhole looks like a lollipop.

The typical handsewn lapel buttonhole that you see on Italian numbers is a teardrop buttonhole, often quite short. It is as much a stylistic feature of such jackets as a curved or boat-shaped breast pocket.

A "carnation" lapel buttonhole, which is typical for Savile Row, is wide and straight. It is made to take a big flower with aplomb. It is out of place on an Italian jacket, just as much as a teardrop would look pretty off on an English jacket.

The both look great in their own contexts.

- B

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought there are usually 3-4 fittings, am I wrong?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment. Here are my thoughts on these questions:

2) slim sleeves would not look good with this type of coat. The chest is big, the shoulders "round", slim sleeves would look incongruent in my opinion. You could also ask for a slim chest, but then what is the point of going to her?

4) not sure what extra details you would want to add and the stitching is a function of what needs to be done along with some decorative touches. You are not going to get more handstitching and I guess you could dial down the decorative stitching. I typically just specify patch pockets, other than that I don't add any flourishes such as colored linings, wacky buttons/pockets etc. The fit will show that it is bespoke, no need for the extras.

5) discussions are helpful but at the end of the day, nothing beats having the product in hand. Go see her when she is here in November, look at the product, try something on and go from there. If you decide to go with her, don't micromanage.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I thought there are usually 3-4 fittings, am I wrong?

The first time there are 3-4 fittings, after an order it two you get done in 2-3 fittings. What Alliswell meant is that at the first fitting, you rarely have to adjust anything.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
5) discussions are helpful but at the end of the day, nothing beats having the product in hand. Go see her when she is here in November, look at the product, try something on and go from there. If you decide to go with her, don't micromanage.

No personal experience with her, but this sounds like a solid game plan (for most tailors, really).

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first time there are 3-4 fittings, after an order it two you get done in 2-3 fittings. What Alliswell meant is that at the first fitting, you rarely have to adjust anything.

I got one fitting. She told me my body type was easy to fit. For me she made a very fitted coat with slim sleeves. Much more fitted than chan. I left the style up to her and the coat is quite short and quite distinctive look.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
I got one fitting. She told me my body type was easy to fit. For me she made a very fitted coat with slim sleeves. Much more fitted than chan. I left the style up to her and the coat is quite short and quite distinctive look.

Please post pics, this is something that I would have told someone to go to another tailor to achieve, would like to see how it looks.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ed-

My experience was closer to poorsod's, and the sleeves and chest are pretty slim. Mina knows her customers well.

We could do a side by side sometime, if you existed IRL.

-J

Macallan9

Reaction score
Ed- My experience was closer to poorsod's, and the sleeves and chest are pretty slim. Mina knows her customers well. We could do a side by side sometime, if you existed IRL. -J
bounce2.gif
So why was NSM banned? I liked her pretty pictures.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please post pics, this is something that I would have told someone to go to another tailor to achieve, would like to see how it looks.
I'm meeting Mina the next time she's in town. You are welcome to drop in and see it for yourself.
mwink[1].gif
It is interesting that the coat seems very fitted but still has drape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads