• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spot cleaning light tan/colored suit pants.

Merlin Coryell

Reaction score
I have a cheap but still loved light tan/natural linen looking suit I picked up some time back used. Wore in on the bus and leg was against a metal pole. When I got home, there were dark grey marks on the side of my thigh from the grime and buildup of the metal.

Seeing if there are any at home rememdies before I take it to be dry cleaned. I believe this is actually a poly/rayon blend, maybe some cotton, but not wool. Cant check the actual blend till I get home. Its old and somewhat thin, so I would like to treat it delicately and remove the spot without discoloring (light or dark) the pants.

Any suggestions?

stubloom

Reaction score
Here's my advise for handling stain emergencies: 1. Count to 30 -- slowly. This will prevent you from doing anything impulsive. 2. Ignore the advise of those around you. They really don't know anything about stain removal. 3. Don't apply any quick fix miracle cure youv'e found in the kitchen, bathroom or laundry room. 4. Never wipe, rub or scrub a stain. 5. Take or send the garment to a reputable dry cleaner. For more information on this specific topic, please read my blog post entitled "Stain mishaps: Do's and don'ts. http://ravefabricare.com/true-quality-cleaning/2010/6/2/stain-mishaps-do's-and-don'ts.aspx Website: www.ravefabricare.com Dily blog: www.truequalitycleaning.com

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stubloom
Here's my advise for handling stain emergencies: 1. Count to 30 -- slowly. This will prevent you from doing anything impulsive. 2. Ignore the advise of those around you. They really don't know anything about stain removal. 3. Don't apply any quick fix miracle cure youv'e found in the kitchen, bathroom or laundry room. 4. Never wipe, rub or scrub a stain. 5. Take or send the garment to a reputable dry cleaner.
You do realize this includes you.
lol8[1].gif

Merlin Coryell

Reaction score
Thats what Im going to do. I made the initial mistake of thinking it was just dust from side of my car and wiping it a little with a damp cloth, that didnt do anything, and I hope didnt set anything.

Will be at the dry cleaner tonight with some pants I need adjusted.

Should I take the whole suit or will there be no danger of the fabrics wearing or coloring if dry cleaned separately?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merlin Coryell
Thats what Im going to do. I made the initial mistake of thinking it was just dust from side of my car and wiping it a little with a damp cloth, that didnt do anything, and I hope didnt set anything.

Will be at the dry cleaner tonight with some pants I need adjusted.

Should I take the whole suit or will there be no danger of the fabrics wearing or coloring if dry cleaned separately?

Might as well take the whole suit, but they may not need to do the jacket. One cleaning here or there shouldn't change the match between the pants and the jacket.

You are going to the best cleaner in town, right? This is not a time to do it on the cheap.

Merlin Coryell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
You are going to the best cleaner in town, right? This is not a time to do it on the cheap.

Im going to one of the higher rated places. This is Albany, OR after all. Im taking it to the place that is in the local shop center populated by entrepenuers who also mostly live in my townhome complex. Its close, easy, fairly cheap, and I know where they live.

This was a $20 find at a 2nd hand store. I love the suit, but I cant spend outrageous amounts caring for something that cheap. Ill do my best, within reason, Im sure it will be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads