• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
i liked the carsten holler and louise bourgeois pieces. i'd also love to see martin puryear have a show there.

the weiwei stuff is alright. interesting story, but doesn't do a lot for me.

photoguy

Reaction score
As my handle might indicate, I'm a big photography fan. I own many more prints than I care to admit. Some of the artists I've been particularly interested in lately are Curtis Mann, Michael Wolf, Todd Hido, Daido Moriyama, Rinko Kawauchi, Kazuumi Takahashi, Yuichi Hibi, and Jowhara AlSaud, among many others.

I admire paininting, drawing and sculpture too, but barely collect any of them so I am not nearly as knowledgable in those areas.

JTK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by photoguy
As my handle might indicate, I'm a big photography fan. I own many more prints than I care to admit. Some of the artists I've been particularly interested in lately are Curtis Mann, Michael Wolf, Todd Hido, Daido Moriyama, Rinko Kawauchi, Kazuumi Takahashi, Yuichi Hibi, and Jowhara AlSaud, among many others.

I admire paininting, drawing and sculpture too, but barely collect any of them so I am not nearly as knowledgable in those areas.

Hey PhotoGuy: Have you seen the new Hiroshi Sugimoto book from Hatje/Cantz? It's an extended 2nd edition of the '05 book. I don't have the 1st addition to compare the new edition to, but it's a beautiful book and catalogue of Sugimoto's work!

photoguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTK
Hey PhotoGuy: Have you seen the new Hiroshi Sugimoto book from Hatje/Cantz? It's an extended 2nd edition of the '05 book. I don't have the 1st addition to compare the new edition to, but it's a beautiful book and catalogue of Sugimoto's work!
I have seen it - as with everything I've seen on Hatje/Cantz, it is a beautiful book. It will probably be added to my library this weekend. My favorite Sugimoto book will always be Theaters, though! I don't know where you are based, but did you see his exhibit at Gagosian last year? I thought it was one of the best photo exhibits in NYC of the year. The back room of night seascapes especially was just amazing. I have a friend who has four of his prints. I'm going to get him really drunk and rob him one day.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen it - as with everything I've seen on Hatje/Cantz, it is a beautiful book.

What other books would you recommend from them? I'm on there right now and have already added books from Campigotto and Reisch to my wish list so far.

photoguy

Reaction score
What I really meant is that they produce very well made books - great image quality, paper quality and binding.

For specific titles: I actually don't follow a lot of landscape photography like the Reisch and Campigotto books you are looking at. It's not that I don't like it; I have some in my colleciton, but it isn't a huge focus area for me. That said, here are some H/C titles I've seen and liked (and own for the most part).

I like the Bill Jacobson books a lot (and if still available, they will be sold out soon). I think just about everyone likes this work, which is mostly soft focus impressionistic street photography. It is classic without being cliched.

Above Zero by Becker is good. Arctic landscape work.

Gursky's self-titled book is good. It is pretty much a must have, unless you really dislike his work. There are a number of landscapes in this book, as well as other things like 99 cent store.

Shinjuku by Daido Moriyama is really good (one of about five books his done by the same title). Classic Japanese B&W street photography.

The Opie book got a huge amount of buzz, but I must be the one person who doesn't get her work. I don't hate it, it just doesn't click with me. But check it out since everyone else loves it.

Yoshiyuki's The Park is a reissue of a very famous Japanese book from the 70s - it isn't everyone's thing, but I think it is a really compelling thing to have around. It seems people just can't help flipping through it, even if they find it kind of wrong. It is candid nighttime pictures of people getting busy in the bushes in various Japanese parks. It was a really influential book, both in style and subject matter.

Hope some of these work out for you.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
What other books would you recommend from them? I'm on there right now and have already added books from Campigotto and Reisch to my wish list so far.
I believe they were the first publisher to pair with museums to produce exhibition catalogs. Most of their books are beautiful. i highly recommend their publications on hans bellmer, luc tuymans, douglas gordon, richard prince, anselm kiefer, julie mehretu, and mike kelley.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11551085

Visitors to Tate Modern have been banned from walking on more than 100 million porcelain "sunflower seeds" that an artist is exhibiting.

The seeds were created by Chinese artist Ai Weiwei to fill the central London gallery's turbine hall.

When it opened on 11 October he urged guests to stomp on the seeds and roll in them.

But concern has now been raised over "dust" being created and people must now look at the work from above.
I wonder if they have to count them at the end to see how many have been stolen...

JTK

Reaction score
I have seen it - as with everything I've seen on Hatje/Cantz, it is a beautiful book. It will probably be added to my library this weekend. My favorite Sugimoto book will always be Theaters, though!

I don't know where you are based, but did you see his exhibit at Gagosian last year? I thought it was one of the best photo exhibits in NYC of the year. The back room of night seascapes especially was just amazing. I have a friend who has four of his prints. I'm going to get him really drunk and rob him one day.

I wasn't able to see the exhibit in NY, but I'm hoping to view a few pieces on the west coast at Fraenkel Gallery in San Fran. The seascapes are my favorite photographs, and I dream of owning one of the large format prints some day!

Do you follow Chinese Photography? I was in the process of buying a photo by Chen Jiagang about 18 months ago, but there were some issues with the print's condition which made me pass on the purchase. It was a fantastic deal, and I have some regrets not going through with the purchase.

If anyone is interested in Zeng Fanzhi, Hatje just published a fabulous book of Fanzhi's work.

photoguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTK
Do you follow Chinese Photography? I was in the process of buying a photo by Chen Jiagang about 18 months ago, but there were some issues with the print's condition which made me pass on the purchase. It was a fantastic deal, and I have some regrets not going through with the purchase.

I follow Chinese work a little bit - not as much as Japanese and European for whatever reason. Having some sort of arbitrary focus makes it a little less overwhelming. As a collector, the thing that has really struck me about Chinese galleries is how aggressive they are on pricing. I was interested in buying an 8x10 inkjet print by Hu Wugong last year, until his gallery told me they wanted about $2000 for an image from an edition of 100, with no assurance that additional editions wouldn't be printed in the future (it was, in fact, at least the second time they'd run this edition). No thanks!

Obviously, Sugimoto is in a very different category of expensive! But with him, you'll find a big disconnect between gallery prices and auction prices. That is usually the case, but I find it to be particularly pronounced with him. The big prints that sell for close to a half million in galleries will auction off for 75K to 125K (plus buyer's premium, natch). So when you decide on a seascape instead of a really nice car, watch the auction houses instead of going to Frankel.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope some of these work out for you.

Originally Posted by mharwitt
i highly recommend their publications on hans bellmer, luc tuymans, douglas gordon, richard prince, anselm kiefer, julie mehretu, and mike kelley.

Thanks for the recs, gents.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm quite fond of Wu Yinxian's large-scale photos of the old Beijing Hotel:

127089732823098.jpg

http://www.artlinkart.com/en/exhibit...rview/492awAlk

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
"Sunflower Seeds is a sensory and immersive installation, which visitors can touch, walk on and listen to as the seeds shift beneath their feet. However, the tactile, engaging nature of this work also encourages us to consider highly pertinent questions about ourselves and our world. What does it mean to be an individual in today’s society? Are we insignificant or powerless unless we act together? What do our increasing desires, materialism and number mean for the future? Ai Weiwei has said “From a very young age I started to sense that an individual has to set an example in society. Your own acts and behaviour tell the world who you are and at the same time what kind of society you think it should be.”

"Visitors to Tate Modern have been banned from walking on more than 100 million porcelain "sunflower seeds" that an artist is exhibiting.

The seeds were created by Chinese artist Ai Weiwei to fill the central London gallery's turbine hall.

When it opened on 11 October he urged guests to stomp on the seeds and roll in them.

But concern has now been raised over "dust" being created and people must now look at the work from above. "

Nice. Apparently neither the Tate gallery or the artist have the slightest respect for their "immersive installation". I suppose "looking at the work from above" is fine if they can still sell tickets and the artist gets paid. Dust is simply too great a nuisance/hazard and the saps who eagerly pay their money and file through to look at this thing will have to encourage themselves to consider highly pertinent questions about themselves and our world. What does it mean to be an individual in today’s society? Are we insignificant or powerless unless we act together etc.. etc.. on their own time and by their own inspiration.

Sheesh.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I may have already asked this question on here but I can't remember the answer.

I saw a watercolor painting (maybe about 8x10) by a guy, googled him, and he's not really anyone famous although his stuff has been shown at a couple of small galleries nobody has ever heard of. He had a listed price of $500 but said to make him an offer. There is no gallery fee on this. What's a good price to start at? Is $200 too low?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads