• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion re this Bell & Ross watch?

bhall41

Reaction score
I know there isn't a lot of love for B&R watches here, and I hadn't considered them previously, but I admit to quite liking their new 'vintage' line (oxymoron I realise). In particular I like the Vintage BR 123 Original, pictured below.

What do people think?

I currently own two decent watches - a Grand Seiko SBGR051 which I wear as an everyday watch with suits, and a Planet Ocean 42mm. The Bell & Ross would fit somewhere between these two watches - less formal than the Seiko yet more formal than the Omega.

I was previously contemplating the IWC Mark XVI but the Bell & Ross somehow moves me more.

Icarus

Reaction score
are they a "manufacture" or do they still just use eta movts?

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarus

I think they still use ETA movements, but I am happy to stand corrected.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Interesting that they flipped the smiley face from 10:10.

Ghumbs

Reaction score
Thet B&R looks less trendy than most and pretty minimal. I like it alright but have you considered the Sinn 656 or 756? Or some Damaskos?

While I think the B&R looks fine and think it would be totally fine to go in that direction, the aforementioned watches, as well as some IWCs, are similar and, in my opinion, look more put together.

fss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41
I think they still use ETA movements, but I am happy to stand corrected.

You're correct, "123" stands for a watch with a three-hand with sub seconds automatic containing a Swiss ETA 2895.

Anyway, concerning Bell & Ross, I like some of their designs, but I feel they are generously overpriced. Above B & R is around $2900 I believe, for that kind of money I would opt for a manufacturer which is capable of manufacturing their own movements and has more heritage, although I realise it's totally subjective how much you value such things.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
in my opinion, B&R watches, after the fantastic marketing, its just sh1t: no history, swatch movement, overpriced, bad aesthetics.

Can't be helped, since there are only few brands they sell down under...

however, grand seiko piqued my interest, where did you get one?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarus
ETA or Valjoux or Lemania other such movements are necessarily bad. But, some makers finish them in house and replace some of the lesser parts with custom parts and others just take whatever the stock movement is and slap it into a watch. Also, some makers aren't set up to manufacture movements, but they do make cases, dials, hands, bracelets, etc. And, then there are some that do absolutely nothing except marketing, like Tag Heuer.

economiayocio

Reaction score
They have no manufacture. All their movements are made by others.

I think that some of the vintage models are nice. I have one of them and the dial is lovely. Try to search them, I think black is not the best option.

I agree that a good alternative is Sinn. They used to make thir watches some years ago.

Lord Nonsie

Reaction score
I have B&R vintage chrono and I like it well enough. I always think its a sharp looking watch. Sure the quality is not the same as an IWC, AP, or Lange, but then again neither is the price. I really like my B&R and still wear quite a bit, especially when a clunky cool watch is in order.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord Nonsie
I really like my B&R and still wear quite a bit, especially when a clunky gaudywatch is in order.

corrected

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ghumbs
Thet B&R looks less trendy than most and pretty minimal. I like it alright but have you considered the Sinn 656 or 756? Or some Damaskos?

While I think the B&R looks fine and think it would be totally fine to go in that direction, the aforementioned watches, as well as some IWCs, are similar and, in my opinion, look more put together.

I second the recommendation for a Sinn 656. I freakin' love mine, and I got it for $600 in like-new condition from TimeZone B&S.

2010-10-04b.jpg

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ghumbs

Thanks for the suggestions - I like the Sinn 656.

Originally Posted by fss
You're correct, "123" stands for a watch with a three-hand with sub seconds automatic containing a Swiss ETA 2895.

Anyway, concerning Bell & Ross, I like some of their designs, but I feel they are generously overpriced. Above B & R is around $2900 I believe, for that kind of money I would opt for a manufacturer which is capable of manufacturing their own movements and has more heritage, although I realise it's totally subjective how much you value such things.

Thank you, and noted - normally I would prefer to go for a manufacturer

Originally Posted by ginlimetonic

however, grand seiko piqued my interest, where did you get one?

I purchased it from Higuchi, online. It has a 72 hour power reserve and is keeping great time. It is a somewhat stout watch (13.3mm) relative to its width (35mm excluding the crown). It is beautifully finished with a classic yet understated look - not dissimilar in design to the old Rolex Datejusts or the Omega Aqua Terra.

Originally Posted by economiayocio
They have no manufacture. All their movements are made by others.

I think that some of the vintage models are nice. I have one of them and the dial is lovely. Try to search them, I think black is not the best option.

I agree that a good alternative is Sinn. They used to make thir watches some years ago.

Thanks for your comments - I was aware that Sinn previously manufactured watches for B&R

Originally Posted by bleachboy
I second the recommendation for a Sinn 656. I freakin' love mine, and I got it for $600 in like-new condition from TimeZone B&S.

2010-10-04b.jpg

Nice watch!

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy

2010-10-04b.jpg

I think the B & R is overpriced, and agree with most of the other comments. That Sinn is nice and I would also suggest you take a look at the Glycine Incursore, which looks a little more like a Panerai and they only go for about $650.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
I think the B & R is overpriced, and agree with most of the other comments. That Sinn is nice and I would also suggest you take a look at the Glycine Incursore, which looks a little more like a Panerai and they only go for about $650.

Thanks for the suggestion - I looked up the Glycine Incursore - unfortunately, at 46mm it is too large for my 6.5 inch wrists!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads