• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Epa, he is clearly blind (or marsupialed).
I have an 8" in chest/waist drop.

Then you are clearly not doing a good job of exploiting it. Whoever posted that you had a body of an old man was probably exaggerating for the purpose of making a stronger statement. Of course, it's hard to tell what your body is shaped like. But the way you are dressed is not helping either.

I don't understand your hostility towards people who critique you. You have started this thread asking people for their opinion and now you are acting all agitated because they claim you don't dress well. From what you've posted, I'd say I agree with most posters in this thread that you need to improve your game. And we all do, that's why we try to learn from each other here. I, for one, welcome all criticism with open arms. I wish this forum would provide more criticism, especially in the WAYWRN thread.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And FWIW, when I first saw your pictures a while ago, I though 40+ and nowhere near 30.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Then you are clearly not doing a good job of exploiting it. Whoever posted that you had a body of an old man was probably exaggerating for the purpose of making a stronger statement. I don't understand your hostility towards people who critique you. .
Actually, I am doing as good a job of exploiting my physique as I'd like to. I wear slim fit pants, and tailored/slim fit dress shirts. I'm not trying to look "ripped" or "jacked" in a blazer. I am dressing like an educated professional 30-something whose social events consist of things like wine tastings & charity functions. There is only hostility towards trolls who have added nothing but noise. If you read more carefully, you'd have noticed I welcomed all germane points and criticisms, and discussed them in earnest. The downside to SF is there are lots of knowledgeable men here, but a many more daft half-wits who simply get in the way of a constructive conversation. I'd like to thank the following guys for their constructive input. They got what I was talking about:
  • trini;
  • acecow;
  • Otto;
  • poorsod;
  • whateverYouLike;
  • cptjeff;
  • mal;
  • jrd617;
  • Mr. Mystery;
  • Sazerac;
Originally Posted by Sazerac
But to the OP, to address your question seriously, I think the problem may have three parts to it: 1) Boring choices. 2) Context. 3) Stop caring. .
I deliberately dress conservatively/boring/sharp/traditional. This means dark slacks, shell cordovan dress shoes, solid oxford shirts, and a striped/solid/knit tie. Someone made a good point: I am generally wearing formal office attire, and might consider dressing it down a bit for social occasions. (Like jeans with a blazer, not slacks) As I said previously, I am NOT trying to dress hip/flashy/20s. That said, I just don't want to look older than I am. Otherwise, my wardrobe is evolving in the exact direction I want. And yes, context is big. At work, no one would say I look "old". Everyone is dressed like "adults", which is what I am going for in and out of the office.

Saltricks

Reaction score
I really think its the length of the jacket in comparison to the apparent high rise of your pants.

Mabitex is midrise (but by todays standards could be called high rise) and your jacket is almost to the edges of your fingertips. The length of the jacket makes your pants look even higher than they already are, and the higher pants make the jacket look longer...I'd say take a look at either of those factors and it'll look a lot better.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Otherwise, my wardrobe has evolved exactly as I want it.

That is the most important part. If you are happy with your style then there is no problem at all.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I don't think length of jacket is the main culprit. I was mostly sitting that evening. I actually spoke with her today, and we concluded these were the driving forces behind the "old man" comment (in order of impact)
  1. Dress slacks (vs. jeans, chinos, etc)
  2. Padded shoulders
  3. Not seeing/knowing men who dress beyond chinos/polos/buttondowns (except her grandfather)
Further, I sent her the BB sportcoat link. Note her reaction below! http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatS...wAll=t&sortBy=
okay first of all that f'n guy with the dimples is really annoying looking. most look old man or gay to me. the only time i went oooo was the ones with the fit black corduroy jacket...like those! i'm just not sure where these guys are going in those outfits other than to work...
Next, I'd like to she likes more fashion/trendy/hip/GQ sportcoat looks (or if ANY blazer at all looks gay/old to her) Anyone have a link that would serve that purpose?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think to properly judge we need a photo of the female in question. I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up earlier.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
I really think its the length of the jacket in comparison to the apparent high rise of your pants.

Mabitex is midrise (but by todays standards could be called high rise) and your jacket is almost to the edges of your fingertips. The length of the jacket makes your pants look even higher than they already are, and the higher pants make the jacket look longer...I'd say take a look at either of those factors and it'll look a lot better.

+1 on the rise and length.

+1 to acecow on you being too sensitive. Even when he gave you good advice, you reply with a very douchey answer of "Actually, I am doing as good a job of exploiting my physique as I'd like to. I wear slim fit pants, and tailored/slim fit dress shirts". You're clearly not doing a good job of showing off your physique with those high rise pants, baggy shirt, and long jackets. Both the posters here and your friend obviously thinks your dress makes you look older than you are.

I also don't think you're a true drop 8 like you say you are. You have a straight, normal/skinny build. You may wear like a size 40 jacket and size 32 pants, but that doesn't mean you're a drop 8.

Also, how tall are you? The high rise and long length of the jacket makes you look about 5 5 or something. And I can't tell with the jacket open, but it seems like you can get it taken in more to create a better silhouette.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I've read that clams are bi-curious because of their valving.

Is this true?

- B

laugh.gif

Saltricks

Reaction score
Next, I'd like to she likes more fashion/trendy/hip/GQ sportcoat looks (or if ANY blazer at all looks gay/old to her) Anyone have a link that would serve that purpose?
Show her this: BEFORE http://stevensadmissions.typepad.com.../ng_before.jpg then AFTER: http://stevensadmissions.typepad.com...5/ng_after.jpg edits: woops...Sportscoat...gimme a sec
navy-blazer-print.jpg
EDIT again: I know the last one isn't your style but its a good example of the OPPOSITE of what you're wearing. SUPER DUPER short, and SUPER DUPER SLIM. It's good to see the extremes.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
At work, no one would say I look "old". Everyone is dressed like "adults", which is what I am going for in and out of the office.
just keep in mind that "old" coming out of the mouths of a) co-worker who probably himself looks a bit "old" and b) hot babe at bar mean two very different things... try mixing up casual and dressy. unless you have a very fitted cut, the traditional straight-up slacks + blazer combination lacks an edge and can end up looking very suburban dad / mens wearhousy. and regardless of what she tells you - the jackets are too long.

lou

Reaction score
Actually, I am doing as good a job of exploiting my physique as I'd like to. I wear slim fit pants, and tailored/slim fit dress shirts. I'm not trying to look "ripped" or "jacked" in a blazer. I am dressing like an educated professional 30-something whose social events consist of things like wine tastings & charity functions.

You may not have liked my opinion, but it's not a personal attack on you. The slim fit pants are not working for you. You do not have the shoulder width to carry the line. The slim pants make your waist appear wider, and contribute to the older mans appearance.

IMO, to pull off slim clothing and look your best you need to be in good physical shape. Tailored shirts with fuller pants would look better on you. IMO

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next, I'd like to she likes more fashion/trendy/hip/GQ sportcoat looks (or if ANY blazer at all looks gay/old to her)
Anyone have a link that would serve that purpose?

From GQ:

00001f.jpg

32920320.jpg

gqmilansept7.jpg

gqmilansept30.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads