• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Thanks. Overrun with animals:

IMG_0834.jpg

766.69 kms south of you.

lefty

now thats a handsome cat
ps is that a canadian flag i see?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Lefty - cool cabin! Get ready for a strong turnout at the open house if your broker is not completely incapable.... Lots of very attractive pictures to get buyers excited.

Thanks. Actually I get a little weirded out with so many strangers in my house. However, if you have any city friends looking to make the move to the burbs send me a PM.

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
lefty's house is the ****. /thread

Thanks, but just a house.

Originally Posted by frenchy
now thats a handsome cat
ps is that a canadian flag i see?

My wife wanted a cat and I told her she could have one if it matched the house. I'll be damned if she didn't find a breed. Yes, Canadian flag. First thing I put up when I bought the place.

My office pretty cleaned out for the open house. You can just see the flag through the door:

Bedroom4.jpg

Fail on the chair mat, I know, but I was tearing the sisal to ****. Probably should have removed it for the shots. A few moments earlier that sconce was a dark brass ship light hung the opposite way to this one.

2075Exp.jpg

I replaced it with the $18 HD sconce.

Random shot of the front of the house:

IMG_0922-1.jpg

lefty

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Really awesome. Totally my kind of place. I, too, really like Asian stuff as well as some of the cleaner lines of much modern stuff. Our new place is going to have a strong Arts and Crafts flavor as well; I hope we can do it up as well as you have. I think we have a lot of furnishing challenges ahead.

Love love LOVE the fireplaces.

Are you the one who bought the property with the carvings?

+1 lefty, absolutely gorgeous. The carpeted stairs are surprising, there must be glorious wood under there.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField

+1 lefty, absolutely gorgeous. The carpeted stairs are surprising, there must be glorious wood under there.

Am I also thinking of the same place? Massive, dark and a little gothic looking?

The carpet does keep the noise down, but they are made of the same heart pine as the floors. When I redid the kitchen floor - 2 subfloors, vinyl and linoleum - I discovered the original pine floors. Unfortunately, there was a large plywood patch. It took me forever to find a replacement for wood they simply don't "make" any longer. My floors are also knot free. There is a company that reclaims old beams from factories as well as dredges up logs that have been submerged for a 100 years and mills them into flooring.

You can see the replacement patch here under the fridge and running to the counter:

Kitchen2.jpg

I cheaped out on the kitchen and just painted the 70s oak cabinets, chaged the handles, recessed the lighting, added trim to the top of the cabinets and redid the floor.

lefty

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Am I also thinking of the same place? Massive, dark and a little gothic looking?
If you're referring to this post then yes, guilty as charged. There are a few hints of gothic I suppose but I'd call it a mix of Spanish Mission and Arts & Crafts. Some details, in particular, are pretty straight-up craftsman. To wit, the main staircase:
web.jpg
I'm excited to have more photos when we're all done, as we are making many changes. Problem is, I have to get all my financial and historical hurdles out of the way first
frown.gif
Has proven to be a challenge. Hopefully we'll be working within the next month or two, though. I'm also going to be a bit embarrassed because after all the work, I'm not going to have money for much furniture. We're going to have to slowly grow into the house, furnishing-wise. The darkness you point out, Lefty, is a significant challenge. Anyways, the bottom line is, if I make out half as well as you have with interior design, I'll be doing pretty well. Thanks for sharing the photos. I'd be heartbroken to leave that place.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There are a few hints of gothic I suppose but I'd call it a mix of Spanish Mission and Arts & Crafts. Some details, in particular, are pretty straight-up craftsman.

I'm excited to have more photos when we're all done, as we are making many changes. Problem is, I have to get all my financial and historical hurdles out of the way first
frown.gif
Has proven to be a challenge. Hopefully we'll be working within the next month or two, though.

I'm also going to be a bit embarrassed because after all the work, I'm not going to have money for much furniture. We're going to have to slowly grow into the house, furnishing-wise.

The darkness you point out, Lefty, is a significant challenge.

Anyways, the bottom line is, if I make out half as well as you have with interior design, I'll be doing pretty well. Thanks for sharing the photos. I'd be heartbroken to leave that place.

You could paint it all white.

It's a beautiful place and to be honest it looks better than mine did when I started.

Less is more when it comes to furniture, especially in a place this warm and rich. While I like Craftsman architecture I never cared for the decor, so I went in another direction. These homes can accommodate a lot of styles.

Love the bell tower.

lefty

P.S. yes, it's breaking my heart a little to leave. I know I'll never be able to replace this house.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
frown.gif
Has proven to be a challenge. Hopefully we'll be working within the next month or two, though. I'm also going to be a bit embarrassed because after all the work, I'm not going to have money for much furniture. We're going to have to slowly grow into the house, furnishing-wise. The darkness you point out, Lefty, is a significant challenge. Anyways, the bottom line is, if I make out half as well as you have with interior design, I'll be doing pretty well. Thanks for sharing the photos. I'd be heartbroken to leave that place.

No, that isn't a challenge at all. Having a beautiful space that you need to grow into is a very positive thing. Rooms that are fully furnished immediately are almost always worse off than a protracted accumulation and evolution. You got yourself one hell of a good property. Take your time, don't bankrupt yourself and don't do it all in a year. You don't buy something like that for quick fixer upper.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lefty,

I think those cabinets are great.. they look fantastic to me. Only thing that will hurt you in that kitchen is the space and the countertops. I really think you did a great job.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, that isn't a challenge at all. Having a beautiful space that you need to grow into is a very positive thing. Rooms that are fully furnished immediately are almost always worse off than a protracted accumulation and evolution. You got yourself one hell of a good property. Take your time, don't bankrupt yourself and don't do it all in a year. You don't buy something like that for quick fixer upper.
I agree with all of this. Don't rush to get the work done or to furnish it.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is a small kitchen and the fridge is too small for the space. Unfortunately that was the largest we could fit into the room. There is a breakfast nook just beyond and a laundry room beside that, so someone more industrious than me could blow out all three rooms and make it one big kitchen, but I wanted to keep things simple as I had other priorities in the house.

The ***** about these old houses is that once you open a wall to change something small you discover a world of pain in old wire, plumbing, insulation, etc. There are gas lines running all through my house and some of them were just capped not shut off at the source. Bit of a wake-up call when you're cutting through a pipe to make room for new light and you suddenly smell gas. One spark and . . .

Agent open house tomorrow. I miss it already.

lefty

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a small kitchen and the fridge is too small for the space. Unfortunately that was the largest we could fit into the room. There is a breakfast nook just beyond and a laundry room beside that, so someone more industrious than me could blow out all three rooms and make it one big kitchen, but I wanted to keep things simple as I had other priorities in the house.

The ***** about these old houses is that once you open a wall to change something small you discover a world of pain in old wire, plumbing, insulation, etc. There are gas lines running all through my house and some of them were just capped not shut off at the source. Bit of a wake-up call when you're cutting through a pipe to make room for new light and you suddenly smell gas. One spark and . . .

Agent open house tomorrow. I miss it already.

lefty

It is a seriously beautiful house and if I had to move anywhere near there I would definitely go to that open house

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The carpet does keep the noise down, but they are made of the same heart pine as the floors. When I redid the kitchen floor - 2 subfloors, vinyl and linoleum - I discovered the original pine floors. Unfortunately, there was a large plywood patch. It took me forever to find a replacement for wood they simply don't "make" any longer. My floors are also knot free. There is a company that reclaims old beams from factories as well as dredges up logs that have been submerged for a 100 years and mills them into flooring.

You can see the replacement patch here under the fridge and running to the counter:

Kitchen2.jpg

I cheaped out on the kitchen and just painted the 70s oak cabinets, chaged the handles, recessed the lighting, added trim to the top of the cabinets and redid the floor.
lefty

i know i know Ferrari payments sigh...just kiddin

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You know real estate is fucked up in this country when someone won't buy that house. I mean, if I was a ballin ass baller, and wanted to hole up in Jersey, I'd plunk down the cash in a heartbeat.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. Overrun with animals:
IMG_0834.jpg

Showed this photo to a girl and she ******* LOVED it. So thanks lefty, you are a real American hero.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're referring to this post then yes, guilty as charged.

There are a few hints of gothic I suppose but I'd call it a mix of Spanish Mission and Arts & Crafts. Some details, in particular, are pretty straight-up craftsman. To wit, the main staircase:

(...)

frown.gif
Has proven to be a challenge. Hopefully we'll be working within the next month or two, though.

I'm also going to be a bit embarrassed because after all the work, I'm not going to have money for much furniture. We're going to have to slowly grow into the house, furnishing-wise.

The darkness you point out, Lefty, is a significant challenge.

Anyways, the bottom line is, if I make out half as well as you have with interior design, I'll be doing pretty well. Thanks for sharing the photos. I'd be heartbroken to leave that place.

Douglas, I'd just like to echo what others have said about taking your time to furnish it. You'll find furniture you like in due time, but IMHO all that space is fine as it is, once you've done it up to your liking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads