• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about $300 knockoffs from APC
laugh.gif

utb20.jpg

There's a handful of I guess older stock made-in-usa alphas on eBay for $45. I might just take a chance on one. They're not wool lined or anything, probably early 2000s, I guess.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ absurd

even worse is the Buzz Rickson "authentic" MA-1 repro which costs like $700.

The authentic Alpha MA-1 is $240ish and identical to the Buzz Rickson, got lucky with mine, found it on sale, last one, my size, for $75
laugh.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
The one skinhead accessory I have never been able to get in to are braces. Sometimes they look bad ass, but I think I developed an unnatural aversion because I was a fat kid and refused to ever tuck in a shirt thinking it helped mask my fatness. So every time I put a pair of braces on I felt like they framed my gut and man boobs (moobs if you will).

Black and red braces were the colors of choice. Occasionally someone would get blue or white, but black and red were the go-to colors.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Flight jackets, bleached jeans and skinny suspenders always remind me that my tastes run more mod than skin
tongue.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
1/2" braces *are* one of the definitive skinhead accessories, I used to wear them more often, but not anymore. Occasionally I will just out of nostalgia, but I prefer a belt. esp these days when thin braces are more trendy and you see GQ-trendies wearing them, it makes baby geebus weep. One thing I gotta say is if you do wear thin braces you'd better not be fat, nothing more unsightly than an older fat guy still wearing braces for the past 30 years like he was skinny and 19. That's sort of my #1 pet peeve about skinheads, are guys who never evolved their skinhead look they grew up with, with a more age-appropriate city-gent-ified look and therefore end up looking like an odd anachronistic re-creation society, a la Teddy Boys. The basic traditional skinhead/suedehead style is one you can grow old with, but at the same time the look can age you prematurely too, making you look like a stodgy old geezer before you actually are one just as easily as it can make you look like you're having a mid-life crisis if you wear bleachers etc, so it's all about finding a good mix to keep yourself modern and relevant while remaining somewhat faithful to the original style. that's my 2 pence worth.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
1/2" braces *are* one of the definitive skinhead accessories, I used to wear them more often, but not anymore. Occasionally I will just out of nostalgia, but I prefer a belt. esp these days when thin braces are more trendy and you see GQ-trendies wearing them, it makes baby geebus weep. One thing I gotta say is if you do wear thin braces you'd better not be fat, nothing more unsightly than an older fat guy still wearing braces for the past 30 years like he was skinny and 19. That's sort of my #1 pet peeve about skinheads, are guys who never evolved their skinhead look they grew up with, with a more age-appropriate city-gent-ified look and therefore end up looking like an odd anachronistic re-creation society, a la Teddy Boys. The basic traditional skinhead/suedehead style is one you can grow old with, but at the same time the look can age you prematurely too, making you look like a stodgy old geezer before you actually are one just as easily as it can make you look like you're having a mid-life crisis if you wear bleachers etc, so it's all about finding a good mix to keep yourself modern and relevant while remaining somewhat faithful to the original style. that's my 2 pence worth.

What GS said. At 60 y/o there are certain things about my favourite 1968/9 look that I can no longer get away with.

Big Muscle

Reaction score
here's my jeans for today with 1/2" sewn turnup, grey thread. oxblood "for life" DMs and Strike Gold jeans

Levis 505 Big E with 1/2" sewn turnup, light grey thread again, just for another example.

I like those pics. But I would prefer the second one with Levi's. Jeans looks too wide for my taste in the first image. What's the size and leg opening width of those 505s?

It reminds me that I have to look for some selvedge Levi's on eBay. I have only 501s with chain-stitched outseam, and 505s, 582s, 751s with locked stitching (and I hate this kind of outseam).

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ they're not that different. Strike Gold is exactly 8" across at the hem. Levis are about 7.75" across the hem. Neither look wide as both are slim fitting cuts.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Red, UK-made loafers not for you?!

not a fan of patent leather! but thanks for the heads up on that shop, never heard of it

I thought you had meant to post that pic in the Trickers thread. But speaking of loafers, the "skinhead" loafer is a tassle loafer with a vamp (kiltie optional, but I think most prefer no fringe). The penny loafers asked about earlier are more "mod" loafers than skinhead, but with all the cross pollination the styles do get merged a bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads