• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Being style forum approved does not equal being woman approved.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Being style forum approved is being guy approved, and since when do a bunch of guys know the first thing about being girl approved. Simply, therein lies the problem. To further explain...

1) Dressing ridiculously well is something you do because you enjoy it. That's it.

2) Hardly anyone will even begin to understand just how well dressed you are. A man or woman might very well think someone else wearing a well-fitting certain style of clothing is better dressed than you, who might be wearing something far superior, with an even more superior fit. To be considered well-dressed is to wear clean, non-dirty, well-fitting clothes in the eyes of the general public. The extra stuff will likely only very rarely be noticed.

3) If you're doing this for women, you're on the wrong forum. If you want more women to notice you, well, dress sort of like a rockstar without going too far. Have a cool, non-professional haircut, wear edgy clothes in an edgy way, wear interesting colors, wear interesting jewelery without going overboard. Dress like Johnny Depp minus 50 percent if you want women. Dress like Russell Brand minus 50% if you want women.

Thank you for your time. This thread was inspired by the thread, "The fine line between dressing like an old man and a sharp GQ/Esquire guy."

NOTE:

EDIT:

One final thing I should mention is that being style forum approved does equal woman approved if she's seeking a safe, upstanding husband for marriage. In this case, woo her with your merits and not your sex appeal. Once again, thank you.

neyus

Reaction score
I applaud you for such a meaningful observation

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the_more_you_know2.jpg

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As an example, many of my black female friends claim to admire Steve Harvey's style "cos he wears nice suits".

I tried to explain that wearing a jacket that fits like a tent and trousers that spill over the heels to drag along the ground does not constitute a 'nice suit', but quickly realised I was pissing into the wind.

Most women I know, even those who dress very well themselves, are clueless on anything beyond the general points of men's style. They notice a particular tie or jacket in a general sense but k ow nothing of slightly more subtle aspects like button stance, waist suppression, pick stitching etc.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
As an example, many of my black female friends claim to admire Steve Harvey's style "cos he wears nice suits". I tried to explain that wearing a jacket that fits like a tent and trousers that spill over the heels to drag along the ground does not constitute a 'nice suit', but quickly realised I was pissing into the wind. Most women I know, even those who dress very well themselves, are clueless on anything beyond the general points of men's style. They notice a particular tie or jacket in a general sense but k ow nothing of slightly more subtle aspects like button stance, waist suppression, pick stitching etc.
Ianiceman, with women you're better off wearing well-fitting clothes from Old Navy, a nice pair of shoes to up the perceived status of your clothes, and a cliche, exclusive timepiece (Rolex) to up your perceived status even more. That's it folks, lol. I guarantee with nice shoes and a Rolex, a woman will think your clothes are from Neiman or Sak's. However, if you're wearing crappy shoes, but a Vacheron or Audemars watch, she'll likely think you to be near homeless. Can someone quote this and post another one of those the more you know images. Thanks, lol.

mossmadness88

Reaction score
I guess it depends on where you live, what kind of bars/clubs/places you hang out at, and what kind of girl you are looking for. If you are looking for everybody's favorite Friday night f*ck, being well dressed probably isn't going to attract her. So if you go to social gatherings where those types of girls are the only girls there, then you might be in trouble.

photoguy

Reaction score
By analogy, what guy has ever been attracted to a woman due to the super-expensive shoes so many of them obsess over so much? Or due to a handbag? Being reasonably well put-together is one thing, but I'm pretty sure I would still be with the same woman regardless of her footwear decision on the day we met.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mossmadness88
I guess it depends on where you live, what kind of bars/clubs/places you hang out at, and what kind of girl you are looking for. If you are looking for everybody's favorite Friday night f*ck, being well dressed probably isn't going to attract her. So if you go to social gatherings where those types of girls are the only girls there, then you might be in trouble.
I'm not saying to dress like anything too crazy, and I'm definitely not talking about low-quality girls. What I'm ultimately saying despite my extravagant original post is that there's a limit to where once "being well-dressed" in the eyes of society no longer means anything more if you go above that, if what one is doing is seeking the approval of others vs your own enjoyment, and also that I've noticed that a lot of people here play things a bit too safe--it's usually the unique/different that attract people, even subtly so.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by photoguy
By analogy, what guy has ever been attracted to a woman due to the super-expensive shoes so many of them obsess over so much? Or due to a handbag? Being reasonably well put-together is one thing, but I'm pretty sure I would still be with the same woman regardless of her footwear decision on the day we met.
I can honestly say I never have. I can say however, that a woman uniquely dressed has created interest, regardless of cost/quality. Of the clothing, not the woman.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
This is going to sound really wrong, but there is one thing that all of you (including me) can learn from the show, The Jersey Shore, and that is:

Gym
Tan
Laundry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads