• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
Thanks for the reminder about the shoe tree. I got woodlore or some such. They are solid, shaped to the shoe and most importantly fit the shoe.
Are my $200 Allen Edmond's worth purchasing Saphir Renovateur. If so, I'll pick them up. I would also like budget options for an older pair of AE's that I'm keen on keeping much longer.

I think any shoes you want to keep nice are worth purchasing Renovateur for.

GlenCoe

Reaction score
silly question: one piece of cordovan = 1 horse? Or is it possible to get more pieces from a single horse in the manifacturing process?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mouseandcat
Can someone confirm that JM Weston (on madison ave) sells re-branded saphir? I tried calling no one picked up..........

Why waste your time? Go to VIP Shoe Service plus, or Leffot. They have actual Saphir.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GlenCoe
silly question: one piece of cordovan = 1 horse? Or is it possible to get more pieces of a single horse in the manifacturing process?

One horse gives two shells. One shell for the most part makes one shoe. Thus, one horse = a pair of shoes.

Some horses have larges shells than others. I have seen shells that you could probably get two pairs of shoes out of.

You can use other parts of the horse for leather, however, it won't be shell cordovan.

GlenCoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
One horse gives two shells. One shell for the most part makes one shoe. Thus, one horse = a pair of shoes.

Some horses have larges shells than others. I have seen shells that you could probably get two pairs of shoes out of.

You can use other parts of the horse for leather, however, it won't be shell cordovan.

thank you

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Wear pleated pants and this will stop, or at least be significantly reduced.

B-b-but Styleforvm tells me that pleated pants are for old men! Does this mean that this place just wants to see my pants tent?!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Wear pleated pants and this will stop, or at least be significantly reduced.

I think pleats make this worse. It is probably more of an overall fit issue. Also getting pants with button flys solve this as the illusion of a boner is caused by the zipper crunching up.

mouseandcat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Why waste your time? Go to VIP Shoe Service plus, or Leffot. They have actual Saphir.
sweet, thanks. will check them out.

ElChuy

Reaction score
I've been doing as many different google (and SF) searches as I can, to no real avail. I'm interested if anyone out there has any information or knowledge regarding a (i guess now-defunct) USA shoe company by the name of Bob Smart.

Any thoughts or info on the quality of the shoes? Were they comparable to AE or Alden in their day? I found a pair the other day thrifting that seemed quite nice- brown longwings, pretty much brand new condition, all leather sole/heel, leather lined. I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to shoes, so I don't really know if these would have been welted or glued or whether they would be worth picking up.

Surreal

Reaction score
Why all high-end dress shoes have a leather sole without a rubber protector/layer?

I am asking since it's impossible to actually walk with shoes that have a leather sole. They slip and the leather breaks down quickly on asphalt, so all of them have to be taken to a tailor to have it attach a leather protector.

What's up with that?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since a BB opened close by, I have been trying to figure out who makes their current lines of shoes. Searches indicate C&J and AS but I haven't found a recent post. When I had asked the BB SA, the response was..."We make them. They are all made by Brooks Brothers in a factory we own." Bullshit. Can anyone tell me?

thrice

Reaction score
Would a pale pink shirt work with a navy suit? And if yes, wich tie color to go with it?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thrice
Would a pale pink shirt work with a navy suit? And if yes, wich tie color to go with it?

Yes. Navy tie, either solid or subtle patterns.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads