• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Me
So I'm thinking about getting the Sterling Navigator. Apparently there isn't really a consensus on sizing. Some people say they sized down one and could have even went down a second size, while others are saying they should have sized up.

I'm looking for a more modern fit, and these look too boxy for what I'm looking for, as well. Could anyone that has one of these please comment on this? Is it really boxy looking, even if you size down? The photos on their site don't do the coat justice, regardless.

I'll post my measurements later tonight and maybe I can finally get this figured out.

I'm also really thinking about getting that Indochino, it looks really nice. Not huge fan of the belt on the back but it's not terrible.

Could anyone respond to this please? Should I be sizing up or down, and if so how much? I read through the thread and couldn't find a consensus.

Chicago

Reaction score
Well 25 pages, four websites and 45 minutes later and I am still finding myself with some questions.

At this point I'm fairly certain that Sterlingwear is the way to go for me - options, pricing, reputation, etc. That said, I'm struggling to figure out which coat and the right size. Of late I'm at the following measurements...

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 172-174 lbs
Chest: My 40R jackets are a fairly good fit, but hardly what some here would call slim. Realistically I might be able to get away with a 38R depending on the manufacturer.
Neck: 15.5"
Waist: 34/35
Sleeves: 32/33"

Where I'm running into indecision is that while I want to learn towards a slimmer fit, being in Chicago I need to have a coat that will hold up to cold weather, but I'm not necessarily looking to wear more than a shirt and sweater underneath at any given time so a fairly slim fit is just fine. Can any of the SF brethren from the Northeast (NY, Boston, etc) weigh in on that?

Is the the 24 oz Navigator going to provide enough warmth, or am I better off going towards the 32 oz Classic? Will a sized down Classic still result in a too boxy shape?

Right now I'm leaning towards the 40R Classic, but I'm worried that might still be too big and a 38R might be a tad too slim. I think I'm in between, but don't know which way to error.

Thanks for any advice.

MinnesotaNice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NameBack
Both are nice. I like the more tapered fit on the second one (the blue one on the right).

What are they/how much/where to get?

First one is H&M (size 36, $70), second is J.Crew (small, actually charcoal not blue as the picture makes it seem, got for $150 with in-store deal + coupon).

Obviously the fabric and construction are way better on the J.Crew, but the H&M isn't terrible either. I think i'll keep the J.Crew just because the proportions seem better and the construction gives it a little bit of structure compared to the H&M where it kind of hangs weird

Nogo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLay87
Could anyone respond to this please? Should I be sizing up or down, and if so how much? I read through the thread and couldn't find a consensus.

I'm in the midst of exchanging sizes so I'll update on how it fits when it comes to help you out with the sizing.

I'm 5'7" with a 37 chest but I'm getting a 36S. Hopefully it's not tight.

Nogo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chicago
Well 25 pages, four websites and 45 minutes later and I am still finding myself with some questions.

At this point I'm fairly certain that Sterlingwear is the way to go for me - options, pricing, reputation, etc. That said, I'm struggling to figure out which coat and the right size. Of late I'm at the following measurements...

Chest: My 40R jackets are a fairly good fit, but hardly what some here would call slim. Realistically I might be able to get away with a 38R depending on the manufacturer.

Where I'm running into indecision is that while I want to learn towards a slimmer fit, being in Chicago I need to have a coat that will hold up to cold weather, but I'm not necessarily looking to wear more than a shirt and sweater underneath at any given time so a fairly slim fit is just fine. Can any of the SF brethren from the Northeast (NY, Boston, etc) weigh in on that?

Is the the 24 oz Navigator going to provide enough warmth, or am I better off going towards the 32 oz Classic? Will a sized down Classic still result in a too boxy shape?

Right now I'm leaning towards the 40R Classic, but I'm worried that might still be too big and a 38R might be a tad too slim. I think I'm in between, but don't know which way to error.

Thanks for any advice.

I'd order both sizes and see which one fits better and then return the other for a refund. From what I've read their return policy are very forgiving.

jeisurii

Reaction score
I finally ordered a Sterlingwear Authentic in 40L (roughly TTS) and am contemplating whether I should go for a 38. The fit is comfortable, but I think just a little big. Really wish I had ordered both to return one then. Rather than just return this for an exchange, will probably email them and see if I can order a 38L now and return either after I receive it, since it could be right at the 15 day mark on the 40L by then.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can any competent tailor work on a peacoat?

I am thinking about making an order from sterlingwear but I am pretty sure I will need the waist taken in after that and I am not sure where to take it (in chicago)

Vaio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MinnesotaNice
First one is H&M (size 36, $70), second is J.Crew (small, actually charcoal not blue as the picture makes it seem, got for $150 with in-store deal + coupon).

Obviously the fabric and construction are way better on the J.Crew, but the H&M isn't terrible either. I think i'll keep the J.Crew just because the proportions seem better and the construction gives it a little bit of structure compared to the H&M where it kind of hangs weird

tbh i felt that the j.crew peacoat was very uncomfortable due to the stiff structuring of the jacket. just what i felt however. i have yet to try the h&m peacoat so i can't say anything about it.

Havo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up a peacoat. I was looking at either the sterlingwear ones or the jcrew one. I'm leaning more towards the jcrew because it looks slimmer to me but what do you guys think? I'm looking for something slim fitting since I'm only 5'7 135lbs. I'll prob pick up a xs in the jcrew at this point.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chicago

Thanks for any advice.

I am almost the exact same stats as you and the 36L classic fit perfect. What is your chest size measured with an actual tape? If it's 38 inches go with the 36L and dont look back!

2balls

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeisurii
I finally ordered a Sterlingwear Authentic in 40L (roughly TTS) and am contemplating whether I should go for a 38. The fit is comfortable, but I think just a little big. Really wish I had ordered both to return one then. Rather than just return this for an exchange, will probably email them and see if I can order a 38L now and return either after I receive it, since it could be right at the 15 day mark on the 40L by then.

Can you give us your measurements?

jeisurii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2balls
Can you give us your measurements?
I re-measured lately and found I'm a lot closer to 39 in the chest now. Went ahead and ordered a 38L to try and should be here tomorrow. Sterlingwear seemed pretty good with me returning whichever after I decided

Najee D.

Reaction score
Just remembered we've got this sort of peacoat/trench hybrid in the store. I'm not extremely sold on traditional peacoats for myself but this one was a decent deviation IMO. All specs here.

samuel_coat.jpg

2balls

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeisurii
I re-measured lately and found I'm a lot closer to 39 in the chest now. Went ahead and ordered a 38L to try and should be here tomorrow. Sterlingwear seemed pretty good with me returning whichever after I decided

I'd like to know how the waist area fits in the 38 if you don't mind. I think we have the same measurements. I was debating between a 40 and a 38.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads