• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
Scotch Grain longwing in color #8 cordovan on the Barrie last
^ that would make a killer boot Regarding the Barrie last running 1/2 size large -- compared to other Alden lasts it's more like one width wide, i.e., a 10D Barrie fits like whatever would be the most true-to-size Alden last in 10E. But widths are significant. I'm pretty sure a true-to-size 10E is wider than a true-to-size 10.5D. And if your feet are a true 10.5D, a true 10E with enough toe room will fit better than a true 10.5E. The 10.5E would be too big, for sure. The Barrie has a ton of room on the outside of the foot -- it is wide and elongated -- there is enough toe room for everyone. It's not exactly the same thing as the next size down, so there's no sense in re-tagging everything. If you have a full range of widths available, a person who has true 10.5D feet might like the 10.5C Barrie better than the 10D Barrie. Also note that there is no such thing as a true size, and a lot of people have feet of at least slightly different sizes. Your foot size can change over a day, and socks matter, and models and makeups will fit slightly different. So the sizing thing will always be at least a little inexact. This is why you try things on and maybe experiment with your options over time. Long story short -- given a range of sizes in one width, on the Barrie you should start with the size that is 1/2 down from your most common size. Or put another way you should start at the bottom of the range of sizes you know you can wear. That's not a guarantee but the consensus for best starting point.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want.

Very badly - perhaps they will reorder
frown.gif

Scotch Grain longwing in color #8 cordovan on the Barrie last from Tassels Hong Kong. From March, so they're probably out, but what a sweet, sweet shoe.

Morgan

Reaction score
Yeah, this is almost exactly the shoe I submitted to the Leathersoul contest, but I didn't realize it had already been made. The only difference was that I suggested Scotch Grain calf on the Grant last, since I had no idea that Scotch Grain cordovan even existed.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only difference was that I suggested Scotch Grain calf on the Grant last, since I had no idea that Scotch Grain cordovan even existed.
There are actually all sorts of different grains available.
Originally Posted by Dewey
^ that would make a killer boot
Alden of Carmel produced shell cordovan wingtip boots in an alpine grain about a year or two back. It wouldn't hurt to email him to see if he has any left or any reorders on the way.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
The snuff looks pretty close and the tan is slightly lighter in person.

In your Alden pre-order the boots are listed as 'High Boot'. Does this mean it's taller than the regular boots on your site?

daloc22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by William S.
LS Jumper boots #8 cordovan ...

DSC_2061.jpg

DSC_2059.jpg

Couldn't be happier. Thanks to Bryan @ LS Beverly Hills.

Now if I could only have a pair of those Crosspost, black pebble grain gunboats that Gnatty8 posted I'd be content !

gorgeous! well done

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Does anyone have real life photos of the Vegano Tan Calf leather? About to purchase, but would like to see "real life" photos first.
Crap lighting, but pretty accurate representation of the colour. To be honest, I thought they were going to be lighter.
r0010144.jpg

copyofr0010142.jpg

Family portrait (Tan Vegano Calf, Cigar, #8)
r0010137.jpg

Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
For me, Trubalance and Barrie fit the same. I comfortably wear 9E in both. There is some controversy about the fit of these lasts but I believe that for most people there is not enough difference to need a different size. Good luck!
I can now confirm that the Trubalance and Barrie lasts fit similarly. The Indy's above are a 9.5D as are the cap toes; both fit me comfortably. However, the Jumpers are the most comfortable and they are a 9E.

Morgan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
Want.

Very badly - perhaps they will reorder
frown.gif

Geoff, turns out they still have sizes 6D, 7D, 8D and 9.5D in stock, but none in my size. The other problem is that they're about $700 after international shipping.

100 yrs

Reaction score
longtime lurker, first post...

I need some advice on my Indy boots (405, chromexcel). I've had a them for a few of months and have probably worn 20-25 times. All day wear causes pain in the two toes on the outside of both my feet. When I tried them on in the store, the overall length was good but the toe area was pretty snug. I just figured they'd stretch out to be a cozy yet comfy fit. Not so. For reference, the Indy boots are an 8.5, both of my feet measure at a 9, each slightly on the narrow side, but with a heel to ball measurement closer to a 10. Even though I'm old enough to probably have a handle on this by now, I'm still learning about good fit, and in the future will pay more attention to how the shoe feels heel to ball not just heel to toe. It seems I have two options:

1. Suck it up and sell the boots and try a 9. The store I got them at didn't have any in stock so I couldn't try them on. (Sub-question - whats the going rate on a used pair of indy boots these days? Paid $435 retail for them. I know it depends heavily on wear, but say a months wear with the typical scuffing)

2. Take to a cobbler and have them stretched. Based on a tip found in this thread, I emailed Alden and asked their advice. They replied saying I could send them to them and they could stretch them for me, but not much other info was given in their reply. I've already found a cobbler in Seattle than was recommended by a good boot store which would charge $8 to do it. I'm leaning towards the local option because that way I can go in and try them on and show the guy where the stretching is needed. Anyone had any experience getting boots stretched? Can they add a smidge in length as well as width? My worry here is that if this doesn't solve my problem, I'll have more trouble trying to resell.

So, advice? Opinions? I really like the shoes, the quality is super, and would like to make this work. Thanks in advance

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 100 yrs
longtime lurker, first post...

I need some advice on my Indy boots (405, chromexcel). I've had a them for a few of months and have probably worn 20-25 times. All day wear causes pain in the two toes on the outside of both my feet. When I tried them on in the store, the overall length was good but the toe area was pretty snug. I just figured they'd stretch out to be a cozy yet comfy fit. Not so. For reference, the Indy boots are an 8.5, both of my feet measure at a 9, each slightly on the narrow side, but with a heel to ball measurement closer to a 10. Even though I'm old enough to probably have a handle on this by now, I'm still learning about good fit, and in the future will pay more attention to how the shoe feels heel to ball not just heel to toe. It seems I have two options:

1. Suck it up and sell the boots and try a 9. The store I got them at didn't have any in stock so I couldn't try them on. (Sub-question - whats the going rate on a used pair of indy boots these days? Paid $435 retail for them. I know it depends heavily on wear, but say a months wear with the typical scuffing)

2. Take to a cobbler and have them stretched. Based on a tip found in this thread, I emailed Alden and asked their advice. They replied saying I could send them to them and they could stretch them for me, but not much other info was given in their reply. I've already found a cobbler in Seattle than was recommended by a good boot store which would charge $8 to do it. I'm leaning towards the local option because that way I can go in and try them on and show the guy where the stretching is needed. Anyone had any experience getting boots stretched? Can they add a smidge in length as well as width? My worry here is that if this doesn't solve my problem, I'll have more trouble trying to resell.

So, advice? Opinions? I really like the shoes, the quality is super, and would like to make this work. Thanks in advance

Sell the ones you have and then buy new ones that fit. They should be comfortable the first time you wear them, and they certainly shouldn't be causing any pain. Try going out a width in size as well.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geoff, turns out they still have sizes 6D, 7D, 8D and 9.5D in stock, but none in my size. The other problem is that they're about $700 after international shipping.

Were they on the barrie last? A 9.5 in that would fit me. Not too sure i want to drop 700$ on a pair of aldens though....

STupid vass order just ate all my cash

Labjt

Reaction score
Hey folks. First time poster here. If I am doing this wrong, let me know...

I have been looking at getting some Alden's for some time now, but I get overwhelmed with the choices.

I generally wear a button up with a pair of khakis or the occasional jeans. Pretty casual workplace.

Any thoughts? I have been thinkink about an indy boot, but also love wingtips...

Appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads