• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help deciding on MP3 player

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, my iPod of 5 years recently crashed for no reason. I'm pretty upset, but also happy it lasted so long. Now I'm without portable music and... it's... terrible. I never realized how often I spent in silence sitting around waiting for stuff (was recently delayed 4+ hours on a 3 hour train ride
ffffuuuu.gif
)

Now, "ideally", I would want an iPod touch. I like the simplicity of the machine, and the internet access is great, and I'm also familiar with iPods. There's constant Wi-Fi around Seattle and my school, so I feel like I would use the feature a LOT especially when I don't feel like lugging around my labtop. However they're pretty pricey, and I realistically couldn't find one for a great deal. I would also like to explore other options than Apple, because I feel like better stuff should exist out there for more fair prices.

So far I have found about three choices that seem pretty fair

Creative Zen

Archos 5

Zune HD

They all seem to offer similar qualities that I want; internet access via Wi-Fi, price is good, and storage space is about right. I don't really watch movies so it's not an important factor for me. Does anyone have any experiences with any of these?

The Creative Zen seems the least appealing because many reviews talk about glitchy software. The Archos 5 seems great, but reviews say that recharging time can be something like 8-10 hours... Zune seems the most well rounded option but again, no experience with the Zune.

Ultimately, I just want a slightly tricked out mp3 player. I also want something that lasts, as my last iPod did survive for 5 years which I assume is impressive for an apple product. I just want to be able to listen to music where ever I go and have cool features like internet access in the times they would be really convenient (I'm pretty against Apple in many ways but I admit, an iPhone on a road trip is a life saver).

Anyone?

Incman

Reaction score
Several years ago, i went through like 3 or 4 ****** mp3 players, before deciding to splurge, and I got a 2 gig second gen ipod nano. I've never looked back since. That ******* thing has been through hell and back, and if i found it in my drawer right now it would still work flawlessly.

When i decided it was time to upgrade, I chose a second gen ipod touch, had it for a year and a half maybe, it was amazing as well. Dropped multiple times from my pocket while riding my bike, pick it up and the music is still playing. Only reason I don't use it now is because I bought a 32 gig iphone 3GS.

I've had solid experiences with all 3 Apple products I've owned (4 if you count the macbook pro I'm on), and they've got my mp3 player business for the foreseeable future.

TL;DR: Get an ipod, or an iphone.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would recommend spedning the couple extra bucks on another ipod. try craigslist. I got mine for $100 brand new b/c of that promotion that apple does every year for college kids.

amstokesdb9

Reaction score
I have a zune and have been extremely happy with it. I has lasted years and is still running strong. Plus the zune software is infinitely better than itunes. Besides, who wants to be like every other jackass at the gym/on the street?

centrix

Reaction score
archos sucked for me when i had mine... i eventually drove over it in a fit of anger... it is just not user friendly, and lagged

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
i would recommend spedning the couple extra bucks on another ipod. try craigslist. I got mine for $100 brand new b/c of that promotion that apple does every year for college kids.

Promotion?

Originally Posted by amstokesdb9
I have a zune and have been extremely happy with it. I has lasted years and is still running strong. Plus the zune software is infinitely better than itunes. Besides, who wants to be like every other jackass at the gym/on the street?

Hi, may I ask what kind of Zune it is? Is it the one with Wi-Fi internet access? If so, then how was it?

I'll probably go to some electronic stores and feel these out in person, but for the moment I think I'll use a CD player for music and try to save up for an iTouch (unless someone is really strong for something else?).

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Sony Walkman (this) has been rock friggin solid... I love it. Avoid the Creative ZEN - mine used to freeze all day long. I hated it.

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Promotion?

The buy a Mac, get a free iPod deal. I got a free 8 gig iPod touch with my MacBook, but because I already have my iPhone I liquidated it quickly for $125. So someone got a pretty good deal on the iPod.

amstokesdb9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Hi, may I ask what kind of Zune it is? Is it the one with Wi-Fi internet access? If so, then how was it?

I have the previous gen but a good friend of mine has the HD. I have played around with it a couple of times and liked it. The interface was easy enough and the wifi was pretty good. Im planning on upgrading to that around holiday time.

amstokesdb9

Reaction score
Also, Ive owned 2 creative products and I was pretty happy with how they worked. That is except that both died prematurely so I dont buy Creative anymore.

steviecakes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amstokesdb9
Also, Ive owned 2 creative products and I was pretty happy with how they worked. That is except that both died prematurely so I dont buy Creative anymore.

+1
only thing left from the creative mp3 player i had are the earbuds which are pretty decent (at least loads better than the **** apple ones)

Jarandas

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads