• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

~Definitive Vinyl Thread~

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's talk about buying, collecting and listening to records. I don't yet have anything that's truly rare or valuable but I'm pretty happy with my modest collection.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My least common record is a Steve Hoffman master 180g White Stripes' Icky Thump.

My dad has a japanese pressing of Abbey Road that is worth a decent amount.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
i'm limited in how much larger my collection can get because of space restrictions, but i've been buying and selling lps since i was a teenager. have sold off almost my entire collection twice...it's a sickness. now i usually only buy soul lps and good new releases in limited pressings (although i break these rules regularly), so that they will be worth something when i inevitably have to unload them to free up space. i don't buy records that i won't want to listen to a bunch though. aside from that AF 7" that i mentioned to AF, my rarest might be a copy of When by Vincent Gallo (which is suprisingly good. he really wants to be chet baker) and You'd Prefer an Astronaut by Hum. rarest I ever owned was Soul Summit by the Ambassadors.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few experimental and/or more extreme groups release a lot only to vinyl. In fact one of my favorite albums is Prurient's Rose Pillar which was only released in an edition of 500 vinyl box sets.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have some scarce post-punk records, but nothing truly outrageous. Also have a mint limited edition LP in white vinyl of the Manson Family songs by Charles Manson.

A friend of mine put a 7 inch single by KUKL--Bjork's early band--on ebay and it went for $850 to some Bjork collector in Iceland.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I have mint condition 1st pressing of XTC's skylarking that I found in someone's garbage can.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
^ I have mint condition 1st pressing of XTC's skylarking that I found in someone's garbage can.
you know they've almost never played a show due to Andy Patridge's stage fright? It's crazy that they were so successful.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have Icky Thump. Great album and terrific sound quality.

You should get the Massey Hall album by Neil Young. A true "11" on sound quality and the performance is a classic.

My most valuable are a "-1" very first pressing UK Sgt. Peppers. I also have a very early "-2" German Dark Side of the Moon which sounds terrific.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a collection of about 3000 LPs, and a quite few 45s and acoustic 78s. It's about a third classical, a third jazz, and a third blues/rock/R&B/pop.

Most of it is oriented to first pressings.

- B

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few hundred garage and punk records, many of which could probably be considered rare because the bands are often low-budget DIY and frequently press less than 500 copies, sometimes with only a handful on coloured vinyl or with silkscreened sleeves or other variations.

Most are not however valuable. The overwhelming majority will probably be forgotten completely within a few years. Some get tons of hype following the release and sell for $50 or $100 only months later, others are ignored at first and get rediscovered a few years after the release.

There is something satisfying about owning a record that only 100 or 200 other people have.

Dr. Mabuse

Reaction score
Metal on vinyl is a good racket to get into in the short term. Nearly every metal band of consequence has a limited vinyl release on their albums. These go for ridiculous amounts on Ebay once "out of print". The bizarre thing is that nearly all these albums are either repressed every three or four years or can still be had at the more obscure internet outlets. At one time I had a collection with literally thousands of rare metal, punk, hardcore, industrial, etc etc. but have since sold most of it for opioids or various other vices. I have around 200 or so now. The only rare stuff I have is Metal I wouldn't let go of. The original Ulver, Eyehategod, Sunn, Black Sabbath pressings and some NWOBHM stuff. The rest is all new stuff or jazz and metal repressings I pick up at the local "Independent Record Store". I have no real interest in the collecting side of things any longer. I just want the tunes on my preferred format. (Geek)

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I have a collection of about 3000 LPs, and a quite few 45s and acoustic 78s. It's about a third classical, a third jazz, and a third blues/rock/R&B/pop.

Most of it is oriented to first pressings.

Impressive if true. What are your top titles?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr. Mabuse
Metal on vinyl is a good racket to get into in the short term. Nearly every metal band of consequence has a limited vinyl release on their albums. These go for ridiculous amounts on Ebay once "out of print". The bizarre thing is that nearly all these albums are either repressed every three or four years or can still be had at the more obscure internet outlets. At one time I had a collection with literally thousands of rare metal, punk, hardcore, industrial, etc etc. but have since sold most of it for opioids or various other vices. I have around 200 or so now. The only rare stuff I have is Metal I wouldn't let go of. The original Ulver, Eyehategod, Sunn, Black Sabbath pressings and some NWOBHM stuff. The rest is all new stuff or jazz and metal repressings I pick up at the local "Independent Record Store". I have no real interest in the collecting side of things any longer. I just want the tunes on my preferred format. (Geek)

I've seen the original Sundazed pressing of Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" selling new at some obscure record shop; this is apparently the more coveted pressing of that particular album.

Also saw the relatively rare reissues of some of Roy Orbison's albums for sale at some suburban Rasputin. All these can sell for much more on eBay.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've seen the original Sundazed pressing of Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" selling new at some obscure record shop; this is apparently the more coveted pressing of that particular album.

Also saw the relatively rare reissues of some of Roy Orbison's albums for sale at some suburban Rasputin. All these can sell for much more on eBay.

If it's the Classic Records reissues, please grab em.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics