• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current opinions on Dege/Whittaker bespoke shirts

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Very nice vox. How about a fit pic?

Also, are you ordering several shirts in the same cloth / style (the S-G chambray)? Why?

+1. Collar looks very nice, I only remember the one from your first shirt, these are different, no?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Push the boat out and get some checks from the Regent range...

In due course...

Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
was the needle work any tighter?

is there shirring across the back?

the lining in the collar seems very soft and thin
was that a request?

1. Yes, but still not fantastic.

2. You and your friggin' pro eye! Yes. Ever so slight.

3. Yes, I asked for their lightest unfused interlining.

Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Very nice vox. How about a fit pic?

Also, are you ordering several shirts in the same cloth / style (the S-G chambray)? Why?

I'm not sure if there will be fit pics. We'll see.

As for the SG chambray, I wanted a set of pull-out-of-the-closet-without-having-to-think shirts, and this cloth seemed to fit the bill best.

Originally Posted by Sander
+1. Collar looks very nice, I only remember the one from your first shirt, these are different, no?

Good eye. This is a different collar: bigger. The neckband is also higher in front. This collar was retrofitted on the first shirt and will be my collar going forward.

The dinner shirt has points that go a bit more inward, though, so that it won't fight the bow.

- B

andreyb2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraftar
Stephen Lachter: ???
£150, 4 shirts minimum. Vox, great shirts! (Why I always like fabric other people selected more than my own choices?
facepalm.gif
) Andrey

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andreyb2
(Why I always like fabric other people selected more than my own choices?
facepalm.gif
)

Andrey

I'm guessing that those fabrics are carried by all the London makers. So a quick weblink in an e-mail to your current guy should fix that problem!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I really liked this photograph that bengal posted, so I'm reposting here.

Originally Posted by bengal-stripe

Dege & Skinner - Robert Whittaker, cutting shirts with a knife:

SavileRow008.jpg

Another shot from Will's blog:

Robert+Whittaker.JPG

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I really liked this photograph that bengal posted, so I'm reposting here. Another shot from Will's blog:
Robert+Whittaker.JPG
- B

His collar is standing off his neck.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
His collar is standing off his neck.

His head is tilted down. I've seen him several times at this point and he is always well turned out. It's a bias of mine.

A really great guy.

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His head is tilted down. I've seen him several times at this point and he is always well turned out. It's a bias of mine. A really great guy. - B
I had to say it before someone else did!
smile.gif
I have no issues, I don't expect a suits collar to stay 'glued' to the back of the neck under all circumstances. I've seen them use knives for cutting silk in the past.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I had to say it before someone else did!
smile.gif

I have no issues, I don't expect a suits collar to stay 'glued' to the back of the neck under all circumstances.

I've seen them use knives for cutting silk in the past.

smile.gif

I haven't asked him directly, but even after the pattern is set, I think that he still cuts almost all the collars while his apprentice and he cut the rest of the shirt.

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't asked him directly, but even after the pattern is set, I think that he still cuts almost all the collars. - B
No, I was making a general comment about seeing artisans use a knife to cut material in lieu of shears. I wasn't referring specifically to Mr Whittaker's technique.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, I was making a general comment about seeing artisans use a knife to cut material in lieu of shears. I wasn't referring specifically to Mr Whittaker's technique.

Right...I think most good shirtmakers still cut collars and cuffs with a knife, particularly fine fabrics.

- B

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Right...I think most good shirtmakers still cut collars and cuffs with a knife, particularly fine fabrics.

I did ask him: he cuts the main pieces (front, back, sleeves) with shears but uses the knife for the small bits: collar, cuffs yoke.
With those pieces he cuts up to four layers in one go. Using shears, the likelihood they could shift while the fabric gets
lifted by the shears' blade is too great.

The knife is not a rotating one, but has a paddle-shaped blade, sharpened on both sides.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads